Neo "Gold Cab" monitor problem.

Ukyo

20 Year Member
I recently got a Neo "Gold Cab" 2-slot MVS, everything is working great, except for this annoying issue with the monitor. usually between 15-30 minutes of play [or just idle demoing], the monitor will just shut off. the cab is still on, with sound and controls working perfectly though. toggling the unit off, and then turning it back on will instantly restore the monitor, but then its usually good for only another 30 minutes. I opened up the cab, checked all the connections that i could see, and everything seems secure and in place. Does this seem like a voltage/power issue? I've tried plugging directly into the wall, and using a power strip; I was going to try and replace the power cord to see if that might help, any ideas? Thanks in advance.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
sounds like a dry/cold solder connection on the underside of the monitor pcb.
Inspect the solder joints, you may find some flakey or cracked.

Maybe your freindly local TV repair guy could take a look for you ?

Ukyo

20 Year Member
thank you both for the reply; i dont know much about MVS wiring [or wiring in general] but im trying to learn.

ttooddddyy, if it is a dry/cold solder, is this where i would want to look?

FullWiringSm.jpg

Borman, so basically your link is talking about adjusting the voltage for the monitor through "pots" or "caps"? could someone please explain what the caps on the monitor are exactly, ive seen that you can just order replacement kits to just repair eveything at once? Thanks.

Last edited:

bdlou

Quiz Detective
Dude. You've got bigger problems. Someone stole the rest of your cabinet!! :) Sorry, I couldn't resist. I hope you get it worked out.

Ukyo

20 Year Member
haha, cute. yeah i just took that pic off of hardMVS. I figure hopefully i can get a few more questions answered before i start digging into my cab.

Ukyo

20 Year Member
i need to take the cover off the board, but here are some pictures, should i be looking at the front most connections? also, the small blue chip on the right hand side lists numbers 1-8 i believe, and 7 is pushed down? should this be tha case? thank you, any help or description is greatly appreciated.
pcb1.jpg

pcb2.jpg

Ukyo

20 Year Member
ok ill take some images of the monitor soon, in the case of a loose solder, is this something that can be repaired with the monitor still in the cab?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Yes/no...

The frame & tube can stay... you just need to remove the chassis - the circuit boards - for repair.

RJ

N80G80

Igniz's Servent
RJ is sorta correct.......In a Neo Gold cab...you have to pull the monitor in order to take the chassis off. Theres really no room to pull the chassis out with the crt still in the cab.

Ukyo

20 Year Member
im guessing this cracked oozing part is my problem?

monitor_pcb1.jpg

monitor_pcb2.jpg

N80G80

Igniz's Servent
no thats silicone on the side of a cap...perfectly normal actually. You wanna flip the chassis upside down and look for cracked solder joints on the underside. In all honesty the best thing to do is to simply "touch up" all the joints on the bottom of your chassis

Ukyo

20 Year Member
can you give me some tips on steps i should take to remove the monitor pcb, these screenshots are from inside of my cab. [didnt remove the board yet. also what is defined as the chassis? just what surrounds the crt? thanks for your help.

also, im cleaning the 2-slot board, and im wondering if i can gently use electronics cleaner directly on the board, there is a lot of dust under the casing, and i want to clean it up nice, suggestions? compressed air doesnt really seem to do the trick.

Ukyo

20 Year Member
few questions; please help if you can...

[1]do most of you guys think this is a loose/bad solder issue? or a rising voltage issue?

[2]do i need to remove my monitor to fix either issue? if so, how should i start?
am i going to have to discharge my monitor to fix this?

[3]are there troubleshooting steps i can take so i dont take apart more than i have to?

any tips, suggestions; tutorials would help. thanks.