DragonFly to develop an online Metal Slug game

enomosiki

Hardened Shock Trooper
2007-07-19_metalslugpconline.jpg

A game developing company named DragonFly from South Korea has announced that it will be creating an online PC game based on Metal Slug.

DragonFly and SNK Playmore both have been negotiating since July 5th, and sealed the deal in a ceremony on July 19th so that DragonFly can publish and distribute this game around Asian and Oceanian territories. They've also stated that there are plans to expand the marketing territories in the future.

Toyama Koichi, SNK Playmore's president (standing to the right), has stated that, "DragonFly has years of experience in developing successful online games, and it is a pleasure to announce that they will be developing an online version of Metal Slug... With this new release of Metal Slug game, we are confident that we can approach gamers around the world with a more user-friendly and high-quality title and make them acknowledge the Metal Slug franchise, which already has a broad fanbase, even further."

Park Cheol-Woo, DragonFly's president (standing to the left), followed up with the statement of, "With the co-development of this game, we would like to prove that an arcade masterpiece can also become an excellent online game... This is a new challenge for DragonFly and a chance to boost the company's reputation, and we will do our utmost to keep Metal Slug franchise's reputation alive and growing."

The development will proceed accordingly to match the game's planned initial open beta testing in the latter half of next year.

There is no word yet on which genre that the game will be in, whether it be RPG or FPS. DragonFly has, apparently, developed two of their only online games, "Karma Online" and "Special Forces", as FPS, while releasing several other offline games as action and RPG.

One thing for sure, however; Remember when Mega Enterprise announced that they will be developing an MMORPG of Metal Slug, aka "Metal Slug Online", back in early 2004 and never have been heard from since? Well, it's supposedly scrapped due to lack of management on Mega Enterprise's part. So lets just hope that the one that DragonFly is developing doesn't turn into a vaporware and then go up in a smoke like Mega Enterprise's.

C

capt ahar

seems like bad news to me. metal slug should not be fiddled with. i know SNK is going to be more or less hands off with this, but still seems really wrong.

metal slug 3D anyone?

PrOzErG

Sacrifice is pleasure, , ,
capt ahar said:
seems like bad news to me. metal slug should not be fiddled with. i know SNK is going to be more or less hands off with this, but still seems really wrong.

metal slug 3D anyone?

You never know, it might turn out to be a really good 2-D online tournament game?