Which fighting game is closest to perfection?

Anecdote

n00b
Ofcourse, no fighting game is perfect. But which one do you feel is 'perfect'? Tell why you think so.

I haven't played Garou MotW or KOF2000 yet.

I really like KOF'98 and KOF'99. I like '99 a bit better; the strikers are a cool addition to the KOF series. But the roster in KOF'98 is truly awesome. There's characters for everyone.

Damn... I can't really decide... I love Vampire Chronicle too. All the versions of all past Vampire characters. Quick and precise gameplay.

*sigh*

What I wouldn't give to see a new Vampire game.

LLJ

New Challenger
The Last Blade series feel soooo good to me. Yeah those games are closest to perfection IMO. No I'm not going to write an essay on why I think this so stop holding your breath...

Aneku: get online!

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
I could use a new Vampire game myself. Hmmm...fighting game that I feel is close to perfection? I really dig RBFFS of the Garou series and plenty will say Shodown II was the best in that series. Damn, I can't really decide. I guess I'll go with those titles and KOF98 just because my four favorite teams are in the game together. And of course I have to throw a Vampire title in there as well so I'd say Vampire Chronicle rates high on the list as well.

---------------------------------------------

"Don't be scared! I'll only cut off one of your heads! Guess!"

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'd have to say I really dig on RBFF's gameplay. I also like Mark Of The Wolves a lot. LB2 is very tight, as is KOF 98.

Gaseous Snake

New Challenger
What's very important to consider when answering this is balance.

KoF games are often horribly unbalanced. I believe 98 was most balanced so that's a contender.

VF3 I also consider close to perfect. Only 1 really rubbish chara in that(Aoi).

SSF2T was superbly balanced, but perhaps loses out on age.

Apathy Wind

Cheng's Errand Boy
Most people probably won't agree but I've always loved SFZ2. The character balance was good and I prefer it's more serious gameplay to that of SFZ1 (chain combos) and SFZ3 (too many juggles). The only downfall is the custom combos but they are for the most part easily avoided/countered and costly to execute (using all 3 super bars).

Other then that I would say SS2. I love that game, it was one of the last pure fighters.

remukhan

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
20 Year Member
if you are talking about perefction then KOF98 has to be it.
because characters are very well balanced in it.
KOF99 is also good but the striker system is in developing stage, and the same is true for kof2000.

hebretto

Hardened Shock Trooper
If it's the KOF series it would have to be KOF98 followed by 2000

Mike Tham

n00b
For KOF series its definitely 98. Unfortunately, 98 is still far from perfect. SFZ3 is a pretty perfect game from a SF player's point of view because they have all the characters and the characters don't seem to be missing any moves.

VF3 is a damn near perfect game. OK, they could have added DOA2 stages but otherwse, there's nothing else to add. All the characters are great, even Aoi, who's great at mind games.

Batsu_Power

Armored Scrum Object
chara22s.gif
Of Course It's gonna be our one and only game... Rival Schools! It's the best Capcom 3D fighting game ever. And Best of all... It's got ME! Trust me, when I fight you, you will be in definete pain, my friend! And I'll be your personal trainer! What's better than that? :D

chara03s.gif
Now hold on there Coach. You shouldn't brag that much about yourself. Anyway, other than Rival Schools/Project Justice, I agree with Apathy Wind on SFA2/SFZ2. It's one of the most balanced fighters and the most memorable. The best version to get is the Saturn one, IMO. Also, KOF'98 was perfect since it combines most of the elements of the older KOF games.. as well as the largest cast list in the KOF series. Last Blade (both 1 & 2) & SF3:TS are also very balancced and have that gameplay feeling that I always needed. Anyway, It was nice talking to you. I'm off.

chara22s.gif
Always actin' smart, aren't ya, Kyosuke? Ah well... Back to some training. Do those Push Ups, Batsu!

chara03s.gif
Edit: *sigh* The errors of spelling are quite common with all of us.

[ May 06, 2001: Message edited by: Batsu_Power ]

Anecdote

n00b
I like SFZ2 too! When I got for the PSX and later on Saturn, I played that one forever.

As for the older SF-games, I like SF2Turbo best.

I am getting a NGPC soon, so I am really looking forward to SNK vs Capcom/MotM.

Everyone who's played it has been very very happy with it.

I had the pleasure of playing a short while on LLJ's NGPC. Too short... :)

O

Omega

What a question... I think it is definitely a close call... and my top pick is not a SNK game so don't jump all over me...

Street Fighter 3 Alpha.

Yeah thats what I said. First of all there is over 30 characters, so anybody can find their style of fighter on the game. There are 3 different styles of fighting for each character, X-ism, A-ism, and V-ism, they range from Simple, Normal, to Advanced, so even the most novice player can score super combo moves with the greatest of ease. That makes for serious balancing of the scales. Next we have graphics, the character detail and animation is good, if the characters were as large as they are in the Street Fighter 3 series then SF3 Alpha would be a perfect 10. But alas the sprites are not as big as their SF3 counterparts, so SF3 Alpha loses points there. I like the fact The New Challengers are brought back for this game, Cammy, Fei Long, T-Hawk, and Dee Jay. Another place where this game loses points is because if you are playing against somebody who knows how to use Sagat then the match is going to be pretty unfair. Sagat is the only unbeatable character on the game... and for that the game loses points again. Other than those small errors, this game is about the closest thing to Street Fighting perfection out there.

On the SNK side, I'd have to say KOF 98 is the closest thing to perfection out there. Huge cast of characters makes it easy for somebody to find characters they can fight with. The animation and graphics are top notch as well...

I keep hearing the Last Blade series is unbelievable, unfortunately I haven't played it so I don't know what its like. I guess I'm going to have to get my act together and try it out before I make a final decision...

Anecdote

n00b
I am not going to disagree on choice of SFA3. But I don't think you understand SFA3 that well.

I am guessing that you consider Sagat unbeatable because of his Tiger Shots. His Shots aren't as dominant as in SSF2T. Sagat isn't the mean fireballer in SFA3 as he used to be in Turbo.

Nobody I know plays X-ism and the most popular ism is V-ism. Characters like Sodom, Zangief, Gouki/Akuma, Ryu, Karin, Sakura are so darn powerful with V-ism. Played with skill, these charas can get huge amounts of damage of just one chance. THESE character are unbeatable.

[ May 06, 2001: Message edited by: Anecdote ]

Rain

Fashion Designer,
20 Year Member
For SNK, KOF 98. For many of the reasons already expressed here.
For Capcom, SSF2X. An awesome game (Especially on Dreamcast) really well balanced, great fighters. My favourite fighting game EVER.

O

Omega

Well maybe I don't understand it that well, but I have only had the game for a couple of weeks and was blown away by it. I use A-ism... V-ism is the advanced so I don't think I could pull off the big moves under V-ism. I think Sagat is far more powerful in SFA3 then he was in SSF2T. But that is just my opinion. And I am not just speaking of his Tiger Shots... his Tiger Uppercut is a multi-hitting manuever that is far more refined and powerful in SFA3 than any other SF game. Period.

O

Omega

Oh yeah one more thing... Sodom can be a dominant player in this game?? You've gotta be kidding.

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
You guys are ALL SO WRONG! The greatest fighting game is Mortal Kombat!!! ARE YOU GUYS BLIND?!?! That game has awesome 2 frame punch animations along with cheese ass sfx and special moves! The sfx sounds like it's being recorded underwater in the studio toilet!~ SO COOL!~ and you can't forget about those fatalities! I can rip out your spine! eeeeeeeeee!!!!! You guys NEED to get this game! it's the greatest game ever!

The 2nd most perfect fighting game is King Of Fighters 2000. The characters are so well balanced, and the striker system has been well improved. To all who say it's still in dev., play it some more, and you'll see how developed it is. I LOVE KOF2K's super complicated combo system, as it allows for virtually complete combo cusomization. The cast of characters is so vast and no character is ever exactly alike, and each character is DRAWN TOTALLY, no cheesmonkey palatte switches and face jobs. The level of animation quality and detail are astounding, and the game's speed is perfect. An A+ job by SNK. the world's greatest game company ever.

But then again, Midway's Mortal Kombat team is 2x as talented, and 2x as original and intelligent. wowee.

Anecdote

n00b
Originally posted by Omega:
<STRONG>Oh yeah one more thing... Sodom can be a dominant player in this game?? You've gotta be kidding.</STRONG>

No, I am not kidding. V-ism is called the 'advanced' mode, but for most players it's the only mode to play. With V-Sodom, you can start combos even if the opponent is blocking using his 360-throw and grabbing him off the floor. His Jitte-strike move is great for juggles in V-ism.

As for Sagat, his Tiger Uppercut/Blow does do good damage. But priority-wise, it's not up there with the Shotos Dragon Punches. Also, he can be hit out of it quite easily. His upppercut move doesn't make him 'unbeatable'. Others have better uppercut-like moves.

fomaman

King's Dry Cleaner
SSF2T and KOF 98.
i love CVS and ALPHA 2 GOLD, also, but the
first two reign.

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
SFZ2 or SFA2 depending on where your from =P

Bryan