Fake Neo Geo Pocket euro UK game !

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Hey guys,

I just want to let you know that there is some fake UK snapcase games around. Unfortunaly, I bought one of them. The guy I get this game from bought it from an online store. Those fake are not that easy to recognize so be careful.

Check this out, looks like the real deal, uh ?

No, it's not, let's check this fake closer.

- Look at the quality of the insert, it's not glossy and very thin just like any regular paper you can find everywhere.

- Check out the ends and the corners, you can tell by the small white paper residues that this insert has been cutted with an exacto knife. Also, the dimensions are neither the same as a real insert nor even equal, I mean the height is 4"19/32 on one side and more than 4" 5/8 on the other side.

- Now on the details of the insert, check the "Only for Neo Geo Pocket Color" logo which is not clear, just like something that has been scaned and printed. Same thing goes for all the small letters and other details. The ELSPA logo is horrible and it's somewhat hard to read the descritption of the game on the back.

- Check out the manual now, again, the paper isn't glossy and the quality is far from beeing perfect. Look at the white part at the bottom, you won't find it on a real NGP manual. Look at the plane on top of the manual, it has been cutted, you can see the plane entierely on a real manual. Another thing which is common when it come to fake manuals: you can see some black points on all the pages, in the midle. These black points are from the scaned original fasten's holes of the real manual. And the last thing, the fasten aren't placed at the right place on the photocopied manual and the pages are disaligned because they aren't all the same size.

- Now the cherry on the cake, the cartridge itself is the very comon US version (loose of course), check out the ESRB logo and the "SNK of America". The artwork of the UK version is totaly different.

Double check what you're buying guys, here's a pic I found on the www.ngpc.info 's forum, this one is a real euro UK Metal Slug 2nd Mission. http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/1676/img2471aj7.jpg

Last edited:

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
Thanks for sharing. I have never encountered a fake UK snapcase NGPC game before. It's good to know they exist.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
This is the first time I saw one of them, I never thought that they exist, that's why I got ripped off. Be careful guys ! :oh_no:

Last edited:

Kunio

Mr. Big's Thug
Is the cart fake too, or is this a loose original cart repackaged with fake artwork and manual? Metal slug really sounds like it could come from one of those 6-in-1 pack-ins that come with the system sometimes.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Kunio said:
Is the cart fake too, or is this a loose original cart repackaged with fake artwork and manual? Metal slug really sounds like it could come from one of those 6-in-1 pack-ins that come with the system sometimes.

The cart is an original US version which is more than suspisisous for an euro UK game. Yes, it's a repackaged cart with fake artwork and manual. As you probably know, there is plenty of cheap obscure japanese snapcase games around.

Kunio

Mr. Big's Thug
In that case it's definitely a real cart from a 6-in-1 + system package deal that has been repacked with a color copied insert and copied manual. The photos you have really look like a color copy or perhaps laser color print. The reason it comes with Euro artwork is simply that the US-version was shipped in a carton box. A color copy of that would look really wierd in a snaplock case. There are no euro carts in 6-in-1 + system packages as far as I know.

If you don't want the game you can probably file an "item not as described" complaint with ebay. It'll take a while, but you would get your money in the end I guess. If it was cheap however, I wouldn't bother.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
It was 40 bucks in total and yeah, I got a full refund from the seller. He didn't know about this, he thought that this game was an original. He bought in from www.videogameimports.com , I'd say don't buy any UK Neo Geo Pocket games from them :shame:

Pocketgamer

Ukyo's Doctor
15 Year Member
I feel for ya Coryoon, its messed up that places like videogameimports are trying to cash in on the NGPC's collectability. I'm sure you recognized MS2 as a fake right away, given all the small details you revealed about your copy.

I'm sure you had asked many questions about the condition and what not about MS2, now you must ask for pics to make sure that you get a legit copy not some odd scanned crap with a wanna be UK game.

If I didn't know any better I'd say you have recently caught the NGPC collecting bug looking for all the UK set huh?

I suggest you find a reliable source, I do happen to have Samurai Showdown 2 UK version, Puyo Pop European/UK I say because it has many manuals. oh hey I can take pics if your interested.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Pocketgamer said:
I feel for ya Coryoon, its messed up that places like videogameimports are trying to cash in on the NGPC's collectability. I'm sure you recognized MS2 as a fake right away, given all the small details you revealed about your copy.

I'm sure you had asked many questions about the condition and what not about MS2, now you must ask for pics to make sure that you get a legit copy not some odd scanned crap with a wanna be UK game.

If I didn't know any better I'd say you have recently caught the NGPC collecting bug looking for all the UK set huh?

I suggest you find a reliable source, I do happen to have Samurai Showdown 2 UK version, Puyo Pop European/UK I say because it has many manuals. oh hey I can take pics if your interested.

You're right, I'm trying to get a decent but not complete UK collection, I'll never play any of those crappy games such as Neo 21 Cherry Master, etc so I'd rather don't buy them. I actualy found some great sellers on this forum such as Wasabi & rotphungte and I' looking forward to getting some of their games.

I'll PM you about the games, I actualy need that Puyo Pop.

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
OK, just a couple of things here.

Yeah, it's sad that you got ripped off here, but I'm gonna defend VGI. It's true, sometimes their prices are high, but I've been an irregular customer of theirs since the mid 90's and I know for a FACT that Lee would never sell on goods he knew to be fake. I'd guess the guy never even bought the game from VGI in the first place.

Still, at least you got your money back.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I actualy trust the guy, I don't think that he lyed about this. He knows Lee as well. Anyway, as I said, it's not easy to recognize this fake and if you don't take the time to look at it closer, you'll just think that this is the real deal. I think that VGI bought this game from the guy who made this fake insert and manual and that's where everything started...

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
I once visited the home of someone I sold something to on eBay and whilst I was there he literally boasted about doing this VERY SAME thing i.e. getting a loose NGPC cart and printing insert and selling on.. so caveat emptor!

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
With the amount of loose carts out there, I've always been weary of reprinted inserts and manuals. Especially with Pocket Reversi where the carts are a dime a dozen and the game goes for well over a hundred. I've only seen what I thought were a couple on ebay (reprinted inserts, no manuals).

It's too bad some people have taken the time to fake these, but it isn't a rampant problem.