NG.com plugged in Retro Gamer (issue 38/NES cover)

aria

Former Moderator
I'm wondering if this has something to do with the surge in visitors we've been having lately (if you're reading this because of that mention, feel free to get an account and join us, we don't bite... hard.)

This isn't our first mention, they gave us similar props a few years ago in an issue with The Last Ninja on the cover.

On page 105 (issue 38 with the old school NES toaster on the cover), roughly the same spot as last time, it states:

"Ignore the naysayers who will tell that Neo-Geo.com is full of elitist owners --they're probably just jealous... What you get is a group of extremely knowledgeable forum members, plenty of useful reviews, a handy price guide and masses of screenshots to droll [sic(?)] over. A wonderful site."

This issue also features part one in their planned extended 3-part piece on SNK history; as mentioned by strider (who works for them) here: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165214

It's a steep price for us Yanks ($12 or so at B&N), but them's the breaks when you're importing a mag from the UK.

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
RetroGamer is an awesome magazine. They sell them at the Barnes & Noble a few blocks down from where I live. It's like the writers trapped themselves in the 8-bit & 16-bit era of gaming from the 80s and 90s. From cover to cover, you'll get all kinds of game photos, reviews, tips & cheats and even a buy/sell/trade section. And they don't seem to have a bias for any particular system unlike so many modern day vigeo game magazines. In fact, they kinda pride themselves to find the most obscure stuff about classic gaming.

Occasionally they put together CDs or DVDs of games, emulators and the like so you can play a lot of these classic titles on your computer.

For an old-schooler, this magazine is essential. There should be a few more issues by my bookstore, and I can grab them if anyone of you are interested in getting it. :glee:

Last edited:

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
People who yell at you for owning the ps2 ports aren't ELITIST!?

:conf: :conf: :conf: :conf:

SSS

neo retired
it should say reviews that haven't been updated in 4 years and screenshots any shmuck with an emulator could take. :make_fac:

VinylBoy

SamuraiShodownSensei said:
it should say reviews that haven't been updated in 4 years and screenshots any shmuck with an emulator could take. :make_fac:

That's right, feel the love. :rolleyes:

aria

Former Moderator
One of my favorite parts of the latest issue is their coverage of the VR games that were briefly in vogue in the early 90s. I had actually played Dactyl Nightmare for the brief time it was at an arcade my dad would drop me off at in the Sherman Oaks Galleria (same place I first spotted MK and KotM2).

SamuraiShodownSensei said:

:emb:

Seriously though, every now and again my access to the reviews section seems to conk out, it did again about 6 months ago.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
yeah, i saw that.

indeed one of the few good mags out there.

im really looking fwd to part 2 and 3.

and yeah, come to think of it, it would make sense to have this much traffic lately. although i don't know, i think last time we had this much traffic was when SVC was having its beta tests.

aria

Former Moderator
jeff bogard said:
and yeah, come to think of it, it would make sense to have this much traffic lately. although i don't know, i think last time we had this much traffic was when SVC was having its beta tests.

That's right (e3s also got some traffic). I think the release of Neo games on the VC is also going to cause a boost.

Better get out the n00b welcome mat... (picks up banhammer) Now where's my gun?

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
He's a good lad is darran and they knock out a great mag :buttrock:
Good forum too...

In the mag they have a recommended sites section
yeah I saw that NG.com got a mention.
Could have been in another issue too but I can't remember.

EDIT: Damn I've missed 3 issues, 38 is out of stock but 39 is out now :D
http://www.imagineshop.co.uk/products_show.php?typeID=65

Last edited:

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
they have mentioned this site more than twice untill now.
just red the first parte of the SNK special and its all allright until now and iam sure that the rest will be as well too.Its a more in depth look at SNK than the one that came on EDGE magazine,that one was more focused on the AES system.
Retro gamer has already done a nice special about the KOF series...
yeah, the Virtual Reality section on the latest Retro gamer is really nice but i liked reading about Barbarian too.i played that to death.

aria

Former Moderator
Yup...

Currently Active Users: 1135 (71 members and 1064 guests)
Most users ever online was 1,156, Today at 03:34 PM.

I think this has a lot to do with Retro Gamer.

If you're reading this, please feel free to join. You'll find that we're a rather lively (if not a bit rough at times) group of folks.

The Welcome Thread: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150122

YO-YO-Boy

Benimaru's Hairdresser
NO NEED 2 THANK ME!

I'm pretty sure they plugged this place since I post here!:smirk:

RocketLawnChair

Dyslexic Mods FWT!, , got me 2 scalps, ,
15 Year Member
Bobak said:
Currently Active Users: 1135 (71 members and 1064 guests)
Most users ever online was 1,156, Today at 03:34 PM.

I think this has a lot to do with Retro Gamer.
Yeah, I'm sure it's to do with Retro Gamer. We've always had a lot of Guests, but never this many. 997 Guests as I type this.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
i´d love to see a AES cover in Retro Gamer.
last issue(Nes toaster) was great but theres no mention of the SNK article on the cover....

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Fantastic mag - really enjoyed reading about the collector/losers of the gaming illuminati.

Join! Watch out for price gouging.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
gaming illuminati article was off the hook.

i really hope to get part 1, i only got part 2

Last edited:

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
jeff bogard said:
gaming illuminati article was off the hook.

i really hope to get part 1, i only got part 2

Oh god, I can't wait to read it

I remember when Frank Cifaldi was talking about that. Total horse shit.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Recently finally picked up a mag of this (the SNES cover one, no surprise there) and it's a pretty cool mag. Not awesome, but a good read. Same thing happened with the DigitPress boards recently, GamePro printed a blurb on them (or EGM) and their traffic went up like crazy.

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
CRCover04Small.jpg

VinylBoy

Somehow, I sense this picture being placed in the sigs of MANY gamers. And they say cosplay is for losers... HA!!! :smirk: