Football Frenzy: Worth buying?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Seeing how I've been playing and loving every minute of the Baseball Stars series on my new AES, I'm wondering what the concensus is on Football Frenzy?

I've played it briefly via emulation several years ago...the trouble is I couldn't get a good sense of how the game was because my stupid PC was too slow to play the game correctly.

Its not a very expensive game and seems to be relatively easy to find. Do you find it compelling enough to play over and over (or at least throught the tournament/series modes?) and are there enough features that keep the game from getting old fast?

The graphics are pretty cool but I remember having a hard time completing passes. I'd appreciate your thoughts!

Real Bout Maniac

Corporal Dick,
I enjoy it, and I'm not even a big fan of sports games (usually hate them with a passion! :D )

Don't go in expecting a huge amount of options though - it is what it is: a very early Neo-Geo arcade sports title, with all the good and bad which that implies.

Still, if you like that sort of thing, I'd certainly go ahead and recommend it, especially if their relatively cheap. I got a complete MVS kit as part of the package when I bought my cab at an auction (although I did have to replace the mini-marquee, since the original one was faded), and while I don't know if it's a title I would have picked up on it's own, I was actually quite surpised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. Sure, it doesn't have a permanent slot in my machine, but I still pop it in every once in a while for some good, old-fashioned, arcade football! :D

Just be aware that, in 2-player mode, there's no way to hide the play you choose from the other player. Not really a big deal if you're fast at making your selection, but just something you should be aware of.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Thanks for the description. It does sound like the type of game for me as it doesn't dwell too much on all the rules and intracacies of the game and focuses more on the fun aspect like running and passing.

I guess I'll buy a copy the next time I see a nice copy for sale.

One last question...how difficult can the CPU be? Not so much in how hard they are to beat, but do you find the CPU cheating a lot and finding the ability to rubber-band itself back into games that should be blowouts?

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
No.

This game is plays okay, but it's just a shitty football game. Nowhere near the personality of BBStars2 that made it a great game. Nowhere.

Tecmo Bowl on the NES kicks Football Frenzy's ass. But if I wanted a game with attitude and personality, I'd get Mutant League Football on the genesis. Well, that's my thoughts on it.

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
Its an ok title , but dont expexct too much.

The gameplay is marginal at best , 2 player is alot more fun than the cpu.

Get used to throwing alot of interceptions though.

It seems like every 7 out of 10 passes thrown endup interceptions.

I say pick it up just based on the price alone , usually about $35.00 , its a nice change from fighters now and then , even if it will be short lived.

[ September 27, 2002: Message edited by: candycab ]</p>

SSS

neo retired
NO. This game is craptacular! Stay away! Bstars Pro is a much better game.