Metal Slug 3 weird (ep)rom

villgust

n00b
I've recently purchased MVS Metal Slug 3. It's a Japanese version.
When I first inserted the cart in my 2 slot MVS, only the cross hatch popped up. Which of course started me to wonder if the card was legit.

I opened it up and it looked legit (according to you guys they can have the weird daughterboard card.

Only on the 2nd board, which looks real, there is a different chip (eprom?). On other versions I've seen on the boards there should be a Toshiba chip there.

The soldering of the chip is the same as the rest of the board.

After I had closed the cart and inserted it a few times, the cart booted perfectly and had no glitches on the screen whatsoever.

Maybe it (was) just dirty?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Legit

villgust said:
I've recently purchased MVS Metal Slug 3. It's a Japanese version.
When I first inserted the cart in my 2 slot MVS, only the cross hatch popped up. Which of course started me to wonder if the card was legit.

I opened it up and it looked legit (according to you guys they can have the weird daughterboard card.

Only on the 2nd board, which looks real, there is a different chip (eprom?). On other versions I've seen on the boards there should be a Toshiba chip there.

The soldering of the chip is the same as the rest of the board.

After I had closed the cart and inserted it a few times, the cart booted perfectly and had no glitches on the screen whatsoever.

Maybe it (was) just dirty?

Yes,most likely it was just dirty...You should clean the contacts to prevent it from giving you problems later.

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
the Eprom is probably a fix. The first board though has a legit daughter board (dunno what it was used for, mine doesn't have it)

villgust

n00b
Ruell said:
the Eprom is probably a fix. The first board though has a legit daughter board (dunno what it was used for, mine doesn't have it)

I'm always wondering who could have fixed it. Because there are lots around which do not have this Eprom. Could it be something with the earlier releases, which have a bug fixed by SNK? Or a malfunctioning rom, which has been fixed by some arcade(owner)

The daughterboards have been discussed several times before. I think nobody really knows what they do.
There is some sort of a chip on the other side of the daughterboard. The NEO Geoboard itself only has solderings.

Still would like to know what it really does. :)