Death of my MV-1..............?

DJDD

Morden's Lackey
So I bought an MV-1 (one of the huge ones) with the idea of consolizing it. Well, it turns out that me and my roomie acquired a Supergun before I got around to doing it. So here I am, all excited over seeing my MV-1 boot for the firt time since I've owned it. We get everything hooked up, turn the power on and......nothing. This is tried several more times, but alas, it will not boot. The powersupply is an sc2000 and runs all of the other pcb's we've used on it just fine. The only thing we get out of it is a continuous popping sound through the speakers. My room mate tested the voltage regulator on it to find that it varied between 1v and 5v coming out, which is not normal. Has anyone else had this problem before?

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Board is broken.

The constant popping sound is the watchdog circuit trying to reset the CPU.

It could be a bad BIOS but more likely it is a work RAM problem. It could however be a problem in one of many chips.

RJ

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
If you do need a bios, hit me up. I have a few extras.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
I think I have a spare BIOS I can try in it, but when I tested the voltage on the regulator's output pin, it was a pretty unstable reading hovering near 2.5V.

Might be a BIOS, but I have my doubts...

I'm his roommate BTW

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
lol - why did he say his roomie, when we all know who that spamming bastard is

;)

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Im famous I know :emb:

:buttrock:

:cool:

DJDD

Morden's Lackey
kernow said:
lol - why did he say his roomie, when we all know who that spamming bastard is

;)

aww, look, kernow is jealous!!!!!!!

DJDD

Morden's Lackey
channelmaniac said:
Board is broken.

The constant popping sound is the watchdog circuit trying to reset the CPU.

It could be a bad BIOS but more likely it is a work RAM problem. It could however be a problem in one of many chips.

RJ

hmm, we can try the bios this weekend, hopefully that will be my problem. as far as the ram goes, i dont think i'll sink money into it if the ram needs replacing, probably be cheaper for me to get a new board

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
68k said:
I think I have a spare BIOS I can try in it, but when I tested the voltage on the regulator's output pin, it was a pretty unstable reading hovering near 2.5V.

Might be a BIOS, but I have my doubts...

I'm his roommate BTW

If the voltage output is around 2.5v then you have a short and something should be getting hot on the board. That's a clue as to what to replace.... Or it could be a clue that the power supply is bad.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
DJDD said:
hmm, we can try the bios this weekend, hopefully that will be my problem. as far as the ram goes, i dont think i'll sink money into it if the ram needs replacing, probably be cheaper for me to get a new board

If you do get a new one send me a PM with what you want for the dead one. I can always try to repair it or use it for parts.

RJ

DJDD

Morden's Lackey
channelmaniac said:
If the voltage output is around 2.5v then you have a short and something should be getting hot on the board. That's a clue as to what to replace.... Or it could be a clue that the power supply is bad.

well, havent smelled any ozone or noticed anything getting hot on the board, and it cant be the power supply as it works fine on the 15+ pcb's we played on last weekend and it continues to run an F3 and strikers pcb with no problems.

RJ- i'll let you know what i'm gonna do here in the next week or so.

Last edited:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
DJDD said:
it cant be the power supply as it works fine on the 15+ pcb's we played on

The MV1 probably draws more current than the 15+ boards connected earlier, so it may be the psu. Not sure about the specs, but it needs to supply around 4 amps for this board.