Naomi coin problem (20 20 20char)

danox574

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I attempted to post this over at sega-naomi, but everytime I try to register, it says 'Spambot registration attempt' so I can't seem to get on.

I have two Naomi 1/GD-Rom setups -- one in a Naomi Universal Cabinet, one mounted to a board with a Capcom I/O. Both are running 21576G.

The problem is with the one in the Universal Cabinet -- it won't coin up. The cabinet is a US model Universal cabinet.

The symptoms are as follows -- coins from the coin door don't register at all during gameplay, software that checks the condition of the coin switches reports a coin error upon boot (the only software I have that does this is Shikigami no Shiro 2), and in the JVS test screen, the coin counters read:

Coin 8000 8000

and they do not trigger.

Now, when I boot my JAMMA setup with the Capcom I/O, and I go to the JVS Test screen, the Coin counters read:

Coin 0000 0000

and each time I trigger a coin input on the JAMMA input, they count up (0001, then 0002, etc.) which is how the manual I have describes they should behave. I cannot get the JVS cabinet to behave this way.

What I have tried:

* I have validated the wiring and continuity.
* I have booted the system with the coin switches triggered, in case I had their NO/NC conditions wrong.
* I have swapped the JVS I/O board with another JVS I/O board, the problem still exists.
* I have booted the system with all control wiring disconnected from both JVS I/O boards, and the counters still read 8000 8000 in the JVS test
* I have swapped the motherboards between the two setups, connecting only power, VGA, and the USB connection to each JVS I/Os I have on multiple attempts, and the counters still read 8000 8000 in the JVS test and accept no input. i.e., the problem stays with the Uni cab and does not move with the hardware.

So, I've elminated a short, because the problem still occurs with all analog/digital wiring disconnected from multiple JVS I/Os -- they have nothing but power connected.

I am starting to suspect that 21576G connected to a JVS I/O is expecting an external credit board, instead of a direct connection to a switch on a mechanical mech, and is not configurable for simple switches. The only service manual I have is for UK, found at sega-naomi, and it describes the only coin connections to be through a credit board. I am considering next swapping the ROM for a 21579D I have (export) or 21577 if I can find one to see if the 21576G is part of the problem.

Any other ideas would be appreciated, I am stumped...

-Dan

Last edited:

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Dan-

Have you played around with the coin assignments within the test mode? It might be set on a funky setting. Worst case, you can just switch the naomi to freeplay mode and bypass the whole coin problem. You can access the test mode for the naomi while its booting up, before it gets to any errors.

I remember i had gundam DX that was reporting similar weirdness... I think it gave a coin error, even though the solution wasn't coin related. Gundam DX MUST be set to 1 player cabinet mode to work, maybe shikigami 2 is like that as well??

Just some ideas...

-Bill

danox574

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I've been over the coin settings, there isn't anything in particular in the manual, but I tried every combination imaginable and got no results. The 1P/2P cabinet thing I ran into with Gundam vs. Jion DX, and it's a good idea, I didn't even try it. I will tonight. I'm still non-functional on coin-ups, period, so something is goofy, but once you've changed the MB, and the I/O, what else is there to try?

Certainly, the freeplay is working 100% for every game except Shikigami no Shiro 2 (and only due to not booting, I'm sure), and the service buttons do coin the machine up. As long as I can get it to run the game, I will be pretty pleased. I'm just wondering what other games will be a problem -- I have Trizeal and Chaos Field on the way.

I kind of have a fetish for 'everything' working even if I'm not using it, so I will get to the bottom of this.

I have another Sega JAMMA I/O so I'll at least be able to determine if this is unique to the JVS I/O, since I know it doesn't occur with the Capcom.

SNS2 does run on USA/JPN Bios according to the sega-naomi list, so who knows what I'll turn up. The 1P cabinet setting gives me a good feeling though. You may have nailed it...

-Dan

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Yeah give that a shot, if that doesn't work, I'm thinking its an I/O related problem.

-Bill

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
This is a well known issue, the solution is mentioned in every Naomi game manual: you need to wire coin counters. Only the non-Jamma I/O (which is the stock I/O in Naomi cabs) has this issue.

danox574

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Thank you MKL. I didn't see it on my Naomi Uni manual, but perhaps I was too engrossed in the schematics and descriptions of the test screens. Your expertise is appreciated.

Worked like a charm, I had disconnected it when I took out the tray to replace the audio amp and never reconnected it.

-Dan

Last edited: