blast city audio and jamma/stereo wiring questions...HELP! :)

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I have two sets of wires...

right: pink with black stripe and grey with black stripe
left: pink with white stripe and grey with white stripe

all 4 come out of the PSU box and go to two seperate molex plugs by the speaker covers

the two wires on the harness I am working with are solid pink and solid grey...they both go into the psu box from the harness.

I want to wire this up for jamma. I don't know if there's some audio amp in the psu box or what....so I am not sure how I should wire up the sold pink and solid grey wires coming from the harness that I am wiring to a jamma harness. Any advice would be appreciated.

Solid Grey

Solid Pink

where should they go? are they left and right pos. (like stereo mvs) or audio pos and audio neg (like jamma) ?

thanks for your time

Eric

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
I think if you take the mono audio line, split it over the left and right channels, and join the ground you should be all set. My astros are wired for mono sound... they use this 4 pin AMP connector... the input is exactly as I described. The part it plugs into (before going into the PSU) is wired for stereo. They made a stereo wire harness for the astros, but I was never able to come by it.

-Bill

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
So, I should wire the solid pink from audio POS on the harness to both the pink and the grey wires going into the psu?

just making sure I have this clear.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
NGT said:
So, I should wire the solid pink from audio POS on the harness to both the pink and the grey wires going into the psu?

just making sure I have this clear.

Basically what you want to do is splice the mono audio line from the jamma harness into the Left and Right channels, and take the ground wire from jamma, and do the same. In theory it will make the mono sound come out on both left and right channels. If I remember tonight, i'll take a pic of how my astro is wired for the audio. I'm not positive because I haven't seen the wiring for a blast before in person, but I'm pretty sure its the same, or damn close.

If that doesn't end up working out for you, you can always get the Blast City jamma wire set that Cosmicco sells. Its about $100 to fully convert the blast into Jamma-spec.

-Bill

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
billd420 said:
Basically what you want to do is splice the mono audio line from the jamma harness into the Left and Right channels, and take the ground wire from jamma, and do the same. In theory it will make the mono sound come out on both left and right channels. If I remember tonight, i'll take a pic of how my astro is wired for the audio. I'm not positive because I haven't seen the wiring for a blast before in person, but I'm pretty sure its the same, or damn close.

If that doesn't end up working out for you, you can always get the Blast City jamma wire set that Cosmicco sells. Its about $100 to fully convert the blast into Jamma-spec.

-Bill

here's what I am working with:

DSCN8675.jpg

DSCN8673.jpg

the blast jamma harness doesn't fit this stuff...at least I don't think so.

For some reason I am not fully understanding what you are telling me to do.....

So, :) here goes again...

I should split the wire coming from the 10 pin on the jamma harness and bypass the two wires going into the psu and pire th 10 pin wire to both + pins on the two speakers....then take grounds from the jamma harness and send them to the -'s on the speakers?

The question I need is....am I looking at Stereo in the solid pink and pink w/ white wires that are coming to the black harness from the psu box?

Do I bypass the psu box with audio all together? It wouldn't be hard or make the project take any more time.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
i would just ignore any of those extra connections and go right from the jamma harness to the speakers. connect speaker pos and speaker min to both speakers, i believe in parallel. ideally you should really only hook up one speaker for mono, but i havent had any problems with mine.

though if you want stereo its on a game by game basis. and im assuimg theres some kind of audio amp in that box there. is there any volume pot?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
not sonic said:
i would just ignore any of those extra connections and go right from the jamma harness to the speakers. connect speaker pos and speaker min to both speakers, i believe in parallel. ideally you should really only hook up one speaker for mono, but i havent had any problems with mine.

though if you want stereo its on a game by game basis. and im assuimg theres some kind of audio amp in that box there. is there any volume pot?

yeah, that's what I was thinking....but always have to double check on audio stuff. Where's MKL? lol

Volume knob is in the control panel...so there's got to be an amp in there. Guess it's getting bypassed, lol....which will actually be easier for me anyways. thanks :)

DSCN8677.jpg

Dave_K.

NEST Puppet
Blast City power supplies have a stereo audio amp built it. Before you go cutting up the shit, why not just get a Sega Model 3 wiring schematic and figure out which wires you can cut off from that large model 3 connector, and leave the rest as is. Then you could optionally run a Naomi in there with the stereo sound and 3.3v sega JST power connectors.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Dave_K. said:
Blast City power supplies have a stereo audio amp built it. Before you go cutting up the shit, why not just get a Sega Model 3 wiring schematic and figure out which wires you can cut off from that large model 3 connector, and leave the rest as is. Then you could optionally run a Naomi in there with the stereo sound and 3.3v sega JST power connectors.

Why would I cut anything when I can get at the two parts I need to plug them into at HSC for under a dollar? Will the model 3 diagram map out the black plug in the picture, or just the 15 pin molex? Thanks for the heads up on the Model 3 stuff, btw :)

As for the naomi setup, I already have 2 naomi setups in my game room, but I can always make two harnesses for this. It only takes a couple parts and some wire + time. I wanted to make it jamma for now, just because I want to get this thing playable....but I have future plans to tri-res the monitor and slap a naomi 2 setup or something newer. But...that takes cash that I don't have....at least more than a jamma harness, a molex socket, and the 60 pin thing I had to buy for this, lol.

This is pretty much all I need besides the speakers and some more wire:

I do with there was a crimp style 60 pin, as soldering to that is going to suck, lol.

DSCN8706.jpg