my monitor is kinda blurry can anything be done?

prosper1ne

King's Dry,
i have a blurry monitor. does anybody know what can be done to remedy this problem? i need a crisp clear picture. thanks in advance. j

prosper1ne

King's Dry,
where exactly is the flyback again? thats on the back of the monitor right? thanks j

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Look at the picture tube... find the big red wire that runs down to the circuit board. The thing it connects to is the flyback transformer... a.k.a. HVT (High Voltage Transformer)...

On the back is usually 2 knobs. One is for "screen" and the other is for "focus"

Use a mirror to see the display while you turn the knob.

Make sure when you it set the way you want that you take a small dab of fingernail polish and put a tiny blob where the shaft you turn meets the body of the transformer. This will keep it from drifting when it heats/cools.

If that doesn't focus it enough then you can try a cap kit, adjusting the monitor convergence, or test the picture tube with a tester/rejuvenator. Cap kit is easy. Convergence adjustments are a bitch and 1/2, and the tester/rejuvenator is a special piece of test equipment. A local TV repair shop should have one.

RJ

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
yep, the focus is always the top pot on the flyback transformer (screen is the one below)

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I learn something everyday..

channelmaniac said:
Make sure when you it set the way you want that you take a small dab of fingernail polish and put a tiny blob where the shaft you turn meets the body of the transformer. This will keep it from drifting when it heats/cools..

RJ

Ahh,so that's why they do that..

Whenever I've seen this focus knob it had some sort of silicone on it locking it in place.. and I wondered why it was like that.
The first time I saw it I thought<uh oh!!someone must of had problems with this monitor as I thiought it was being done to say fix a worn-loose or wobbling knob.(kept me from shaking the cab a lot)
..................................................................................
Thanks!!!.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
im having a similiar problem with the 25" nanao in my mv25up-o candy cab i just got, and me and my friend took your advice and have looked all over the fly back transformer and everywhere else, but we cannot find those 2 knobs. the only knobs i can see are the R gain, G gain, B gain, Bright, H phase, V position etc. knobs.
does every monitor have these knobs?? any advice would be great, i can post a pic of the monitor running if youd like.

prosper1ne

King's Dry,
they are kinda hidden. my monitors are hitachi. just look for the suction cup on the back of the tube and follow the wire to the base. there should be 2 pots on the side of the little black box. mine had rubber cement or something on them. at first i didnt see them because they are kinda hidden. id try and take another peek.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
i looked again, and im still stumped. i took some pics of all the angles of my monitor, so hopefully someone can help me out.

heres the red wire and the black box:
mvs002.jpg

a closer shot:
mvs004.jpg

heres the controls i do have:
mvs008.jpg

and heres the underside of the pcb:
mvs006.jpg

i see the cement stuff, but those two spots arent really that close to where the red wire attaches to the flyback. the top right in that photo is where the flyback transformer is mounted

any ideas??
thanks

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
In the top pic the pots are on the RHS of the flyback transformer, there must be access holes in the screening shield/heatsink around the transformer. The focus adjustment will be the one on top.
All CRT monitors must have these (screen and focus potentiometers)