Question about component and s-video?

boss0033

Kula's Candy
I just purchased a sony wega TV with component and s-video. I have a 4-slot consolized with component and s-video. Can I plug both component and s-video at the same time from my cosolized system into the tv and juggle back and forth to see what picture I like best or should I plug them in at separate times. It would be easier to have them all plugged in and just go from comonent to s-video by my tv remote, but I want to make sure this is safe. Any help would be appreciated.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yeah, it will work as long as your tv doesn't use Component AND SVHS as the same input....

boss0033

Kula's Candy
How will I know this? If I look at the back of the TV I can plug in everything at the same time and I they are separate sources when I use my remote. Does this mean I can do it?

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
You can try. I'm fairly sure it won't damage anything, unless the encoder chip is severely badly designed.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
boss0033 said:
How will I know this? If I look at the back of the TV I can plug in everything at the same time and I they are separate sources when I use my remote. Does this mean I can do it?
Yes, you can do it.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Yep, S-video/composite lined up with it should be video channel 1 and component should be video channel 4. Channel 1, channel 4, channel 1, channel 4, watch the amazing difference. Use Samurai Shodown 3 on Galfords stage. You will see life bars, the detail in the BG and the difference of blue on Galford.

Last edited:

boss0033

Kula's Candy
What is the best way too set up the color menu. The sony wega has shit I have never heard of like color temp., ect... Should I just stick with the default settings and if so how do I get them and what are they. Any help would be appreciated.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
It all depends on your preference on the regular settings like brightness, sharpness, color and picture. I put my brightness and tint in the middle, color is just 2 bars up or so from the middle, and the picture just slightly under full or a little less. As for the sharpness, I turn it all the way up on good detailed games (especially with component video) and in the middle if it is a real jaggedy pixelated looking.

Don't bother using the VM edge enhancement option, you won't be able to read text on a lot of games. As for color temp, either use Cool or normal NTSC standard. The Cool will make it have a more blueish hue, and the warm will do a more redish hue which you don't want since that will cause yellows, oranges and reds to do color bleeding.

Now buy component video cables for your DVD player, X-box/360, PS2/3 and your GameCube/Wii as well. Compare them to the S-video and you will see a difference especially in the games with heavy 2D usage and/or vibrant colors.