How to make a MVS to AES converter ;) ???

Macgaiver

n00b
Hi to all
I Need information to create any Converter from Cartridge MVS to AES, similar to ( Convertor II )
This is possible ?

Sure, if not permited ask for this.

I try this :

MVS-1_cartridge.jpg

Last edited:

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
If it was really that easy, someone would have made one that always works by now and they would be a lot cheaper than $300. Sorry I don't really have anything more useful than that.

*grabs some popcorn, sits back, and waits for the flames to start*

Lovergoat

, KING of GOATs, Greatest of all time...
Just a thought and probably a very ignorant and flame worthy one. But would it be possible to fabricate a jamma to AES converter?

In other words a device that has a jamma input and an AES output? Surely somebody thought of this and dropped the idea because it is impossible?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Lovergoat said:
Just a thought and probably a very ignorant and flame worthy one. But would it be possible to fabricate a jamma to AES converter?

It's been done already.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
im curious to know why a straight up connection doesnt work.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
not sonic said:
im curious to know why a straight up connection doesnt work.

It was to prevent arcade ops from buying the cheaper AES carts instead of the MVS carts. An identical pinout would have been the same effect.

Crowquill

n00b
Lovergoat said:

In other words a device that has a jamma input and an AES output? Surely somebody thought of this and dropped the idea because it is impossible?

Maybe I'm just confused, but aren't you describing a supergun? A device that lets you connect JAMMA PCBs to the TV?

Or are you talking about wiring up an AES in an arcade cabinet? For that you'd have to mod the system to output RGB (either directly or through some sort of connector like SCART). The power and controller wiring shouldn't be that hard.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
Xian Xi said:
It was to prevent arcade ops from buying the cheaper AES carts instead of the MVS carts. An identical pinout would have been the same effect.

that wasnt my point.

i mean a direct 1 for 1 adapter with nothing extra. just a slot, fingerboards, and some wire.

like A5 -> A3 etc.etc.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
not sonic said:
that wasnt my point.

i mean a direct 1 for 1 adapter with nothing extra. just a slot, fingerboards, and some wire.

like A5 -> A3 etc.etc.
They probably have some minor differences in the SNK chips which make things hard. I mean, who would they be stopping if a $5 adaptor could foil their protection?

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
SpamYouToDeath said:
They probably have some minor differences in the SNK chips which make things hard. I mean, who would they be stopping if a $5 adaptor could foil their protection?

Why would they want to stop someone from spending thousands of dollars on the MVS version over the AES version? Back then MVS carts were alot more money and AES carts were cheap.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
xmods said:
Why would they want to stop someone from spending thousands of dollars on the MVS version over the AES version? Back then MVS carts were alot more money and AES carts were cheap.
They didn't, but they did want to prevent people from using $300 AES carts instead of $3000 MVS carts. Think about it. If it's as easy as a 1:1 pin adapter going one direction, it would be just as easy to go the other way.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I snapped photos of this convereter PRE-Phantom-1(I removed the PCBS from the shell). It plays everything a Phantom-1 can but the awkward position of the port makes getting the games to come up problematic.
FRONT

BACK

BB

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Are you referring to the green wires on the back?
BB

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
the black thing on back is a resistor pack.

does the ic say anything on it?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
It was sanded off. The MVS Super Convereter uses the same IC
The Phantom-1 uses a Custom chip found in one of the last games released for NEO•GEO
BB

werejag said:
the black thing on back is a resistor pack.

does the ic say anything on it?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The Phantom -1 boards are coated and the chip was in some sort of bottle cap encapsulation of epoxy. I broke it open and shattered the chip but was able to get the IC Identifier. I have it written down and I will post it when I find it.
I don't own a SCII anymore and didn't snap any photos but the IC had no identifier. The PCB's of course are custom.
BB

werejag said:
booooooo

scan of the boards possible?

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
The Phantom-1 used the first version of the CMC copy protection chip found on the CHAR boards of games like Kof 99, Strikers 1945+, etc.

A 1:1 isn't possible (well, maybe, who knows), but an IC's is missing on the MVS carts that are actually on the MVS arcade board. Just compare an AES CHAR board to the same game MVS CHAR board and see what's missing ;)

I believe the early converters used the IC found on first gen boards, like Magicial Lord... Never really looked into this stuff to far.

Jeff

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
an IC's is missing on the MVS carts that are actually on the MVS arcade board

thats very promising. just for learning the diffences this has been helpful