Top Hunter boot? and yaton replacement cases. added pics help pls

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
so i just got two games from yaton, RBFF2 and Top Hunter.

theyre both in replacement cases which is pretty tacky.:crying:

rbff2 looks to be fine. toshiba chips, no eproms. but the top board says c1994, im guessing its just an old board.

top hunter on the other hand has all MX rom chips, and two eproms (the things with the windows.)

i'll get some pics up later.

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Top Hunter boot Huh..I don't think I've ever seen one of them before..

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
pics!

tophunter%20001.jpg

tophunter%20002.jpg

tophunter%20003.jpg

tophunter%20004.jpg

tophunter%20005.jpg

tophunter%20006.jpg

Kunio

Mr. Big's Thug
Top Hunter is a boot, but a really clean and nice one. I'd keep that one if it works properly which I guess it does if it looks like that.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Even if it's a boot (which it definitely is), you should cover those EPROM windows with something.

FalcomAdol

Fio's Quartermaster
Did you specifically request an original cart?

If so, then he will take it back. Now that I've got most of my library filled in with originals, I'm starting to rethink my no boots policy. Some of the other games I still want aren't coming up very often and or are very expensive and snapped up quickly, so if it's got a good CRC, maybe as a gamers cart, it's not so bad.

Of course, if you're going to put it back into circulation, you need to be clear that it's a boot.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
it was from an auction that stated 100% original, so i know its not supposed to be a boot.

i contacted him, im waitin to hear back.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Let me know what he says, I just bought 2 carts from yaton and I feel foolish now, like I should have checked here first before doing business. I hope he's a resonable and honest seller!

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Neorebel said:
Let me know what he says, I just bought 2 carts from yaton and I feel foolish now, like I should have checked here first before doing business. I hope he's a resonable and honest seller!

How do you know the carts you have are boots?...Not everything he sells is..

You'd have to take a look at the boards/post pics to see if the carts are legit or boots..

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I don't... I was just concerned that Not Sonic said that he received a boot in an auction that stated the cart was an original. I want to know what Yaton does- replace the cart with an original, refund, or what. I will definitely be opening up my stuff when I get it now to check for all the signs.:spock:

PS - it would be great to hear that yaton was not aware that he sold a boot under false pretenses b/c it seems like his ebay store would be a great place to start my collection which right now consists of 2 items!

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Neorebel said:
I don't... I was just concerned that Not Sonic said that he received a boot in an auction that stated the cart was an original. I want to know what Yaton does- replace the cart with an original, refund, or what. I will definitely be opening up my stuff when I get it now to check for all the signs.:spock:

Sweet :)

What games did you buy?

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
KOF 99 and Samurai Shodown 4. I got Samurai Shodown 2 and Magician Lord with my cab...

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Neorebel said:
PS - it would be great to hear that yaton was not aware that he sold a boot under false pretenses b/c it seems like his ebay store would be a great place to start my collection which right now consists of 2 items!
He doesn't knowingly sell boots as originals. However, if he doesn't specifically say it's "original," but instead says "working," it's a boot.

Standard Yaton Reference Post

Both of the games you mentioned are in his "original" list so you're probably safe.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Thanks, murray. glad to hear that he is honest. I did bid on auctions that stated they were originals.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
'don't pay more for plastic box as it is not a shock box' .... CRAP. it really looked like it - there's artwork and all. guess I'll see how crappy it is when I get it and now I may have to replace it...:oh_no:

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Yaton is the man IMHO.

Much of my collection comes from him, if you find a boot he will replace it.

cheers,
-DT

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Neo Alec said:
I hate yaton's games that don't have original shells.
I completely don't understand this sentiment at all. I'd much rather have one of his black textured replacements in their almost new condition than an original that's all scratched and cracked to hell. Even the clear blue ones aren't too bad, IMO. What's the problem with the replacement shells?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Murray said:
I completely don't understand this sentiment at all. I'd much rather have one of his black textured replacements in their almost new condition than an original that's all scratched and cracked to hell. Even the clear blue ones aren't too bad, IMO. What's the problem with the replacement shells?
Not the right color, not the right shape, not the right size, totally don't look original. What's there not to hate?

I've seen some beat up carts, but never one cracked in half like you seem to be talking about. I've seen ones with plastic broke off the edges, but more often than not a beat up cart is nothing a good cleaning won't mostly fix.

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I have some carts where the plastic is almost completely gone on one side, and or big cracks everywhere, but the games still work. Of course they were involved in a wreck I had, i totalled a car in 2004 with a bunch of neo hardware in it, including supergun, tv, and a vcr.

cheers,
-DT

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Neo Alec said:
Not the right color, not the right shape, not the right size, totally don't look original. What's there not to hate?

I've seen some beat up carts, but never one cracked in half like you seem to be talking about. I've seen ones with plastic broke off the edges, but more often than not a beat up cart is nothing a good cleaning won't mostly fix.

Are you saying youd rather have a scuffed up MVS cart (that may have cracks in the edges) instead of a brand new non original shell? Thats intresting. :spock:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Fakk2 said:
Are you saying youd rather have a scuffed up MVS cart (that may have cracks in the edges) instead of a brand new non original shell? Thats intresting. :spock:
Of course I would.

creamcorn

n00b
Hi, someone said you should cover up the windows on the boot. I'm a noob and all but why? And cover it with what? I have a boot of Sengoku 2 from Yaton...Thanks!

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
not sonic said:
so i just got two games from yaton, RBFF2 and Top Hunter.

theyre both in replacement cases which is pretty tacky.:crying:

rbff2 looks to be fine. toshiba chips, no eproms. but the top board says c1994, im guessing its just an old board.

top hunter on the other hand has all MX rom chips, and two eproms (the things with the windows.)

i'll get some pics up later.

A exremely high end boot which could pass for original to the untrained eye

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
creamcorn said:
Hi, someone said you should cover up the windows on the boot. I'm a noob and all but why? And cover it with what? I have a boot of Sengoku 2 from Yaton...Thanks!

Because that window is there so that the EPROM can be blanked and rewritten. To make an EPROM empty again, UV light is applied for a specific amount of time and the EPROM is all zeros again. Then you can reprogram it with an EPROM programmer. The reason you cover the windows is so that data isn't lost on the chips due to inadvertent exposure to sunlight or some other source of UV light. Usually masking tape or electrical tape makes good window cover.

I cover all of mine, but some people say that it is being paranoid, because the risk of getting enough UV exposure to corrupt data is actually pretty low.

cheers,
-DT