More Turbo Duo problems.

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
Since I bought the system two or three years ago, it had a problem with music cutting out in the middle of a level, but coming back at the beginning of the next stage. Surprisingly, not a single problem while playing the Y's. Now I pulled the system out of the closet to test for a trade, and it boots up, and just gives up while playing Dracula X. It still turns on with the 'PRESS RUN BUTTON!' but now it either tries for minutes to load with no response besides the cd spinning, or tells me 'PLEASE SET DISC!.' Was my problem before and this one related? Any idea what it will take to fix?

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
I'm more confused now, after a few tries through my discs, it loaded Dracula X. Slowly, but it's running. But I want to know what this is.

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
Good, the repairs section said I can possibly only fix the sound for a dollar and not have to do a fan. Somehow turning the system upside down actually works.

eclypse

Banned
You sure its not the cd lense going? Yeah cap replace on the sound is a must also.

Technos

Formerly known as #28
20 Year Member
Its just piece of crap hardware. I've had the same PC-E DUO for years and its done the same no music schtick with Dracula X since I bought it. Usually it runs everything okay, then some days its all SFX and no tunes.

eclypse

Banned
Sounds like cap fix.. I replaced all 6 caps for the sound and ran Dracula X for 4-5 hours afterwards and no hickups. Those caps that were used back then were faulty.

eclypse

Banned
Info here

The way i did it was just like in this pic.
r9x600copyxo4.jpg

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
eclypse said:
Info here

The way i did it was just like in this pic.
r9x600copyxo4.jpg

To the right of the capacitor on the far right (upside-down) that says 100 6S in the picture there are two other capacitors that are a good idea to replace. These are just to the left a chip that says MSM5205 which is the PCM sound. I replaced a total of 9 capacitors and my sound works flawless. This is including that 47uf under the 22uf on the right in that picture.

FairlanePhantom, it sounds like you have both problems. The lense needs replacing or maybe tweaking and the caps are most definitely messed up as well. All this repair can be done easily by yourself and won't cost anymore than a total of $30. Not bad, here is a link for the lens replacement. http://www.teamfremont.com/features/TurboDuoRepair.shtml

So you need a Hop-M3 laser, gamebit 4.5mm and some capacitors.

P.S. Oh yeah, you need a solder kit with solder which will cost and extra $20 ooops.

Last edited: