Little AES problem...

mmelzer2004

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I sent my AES out last week to a member here who in return would send me some MVS games. Today I get a PM saying that the AES "Has garbled graphics and a clicking sound". Would I be right to assume its a problem with contacts? He didn't say whether there was a cart in it or not, hopefully there was. I had tested the system before shipping and it worked fine. It was wrapped in bubble wrap a few times then placed into a box with 3 AES games (Also bubble wrapped) Then filled with grocery bags, some styrofoam peanuts, and excess bubble wrap.

Can anyone tell me what could be causing this?

Thanks.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
AES's do a bunch of garbled crap if you power them up without a game in. Tell him to clean it and try adjusting the position of the cart in the slot.

mmelzer2004

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Well I PM'd him with a link to this thread, so instead of spamming him, hopefully he comes here to check this thread out.

vwlunatic

Crossed Swords Squire
I was the recipient of the system.

I just tried to clean the cartridge and the slot, still same result...
Here's what it looks like:

Any other ideas?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
1. Bios problem
2. Internal Short (is it Modded?)
3. Wrong PSU.

mmelzer2004

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Well I can tell you the answers to 2 & 3...

2. I bought the system with a UNIBIOS installed and it worked fine when I got it... that's the only mod.
3. Should be the right PSU as its the one I used when I used the system.

Could the BIOS just be slightly unseated somehow?

mmelzer2004

Tarma's Gun Polisher
If he's using what I sent with it, the original mono composite cables... There could be a connection issue there.

vwlunatic

Crossed Swords Squire
I opened up the system and the bios was out of it's soket on 1 side :conf: (maybe due to the vibrations during shipping)
So I re-placed it correctly and that fixed the problem.

Thanks everyone for the help :buttrock:

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
vwlunatic said:
I opened up the system and the bios was out of it's soket on 1 side :conf: (maybe due to the vibrations during shipping)
So I re-placed it correctly and that fixed the problem.

Thanks everyone for the help :buttrock:

I shipped a 4 slot to a member here and the same thing happened. It makes you wonder what kind of hell your packages go through.:help:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Huhh, From now on, I am taping down the socket.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Yep, it seems the vibrations or the jarring around of the box does this a lot. When I got my AES from Jeff Kurtz in 2000, the old Debug BIOS fell out of the socket as well.

It was funny though that it was S-video modded, but rather the older MAS System style S-video mod where the video is taken off of some other LS chips higher up. It resulted in mild RF like interference, washed out color and brightness making me think my AES just sucked. I never noticed it until I bought another AES with the correct S-video mod, which looked a lot better. I fixed it on my older AES and it looked just as good as my newer system's S-video, then I went ahead and sold it. Now my newer system has a NeoBitz, so it doesn't matter anymore. Anyone remember the way older S-video mods were done from back in the day? Your almost better off with composite video.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It depends on the tightness of a socket too. Most arcade boards I buy come with all the chips in tight. They rarely have to be checked before playing. The one time I attempted to install a bios socket on an AES, I bought a socket that was so tight you practically had to break the chip to get it out. I suppose loose sockets are used for the bios when given a choice because it's easier to get the chips in and out for upgrading.