Running Multiple Power Supplies on one Supergun

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I've got a question here for someone who is a little more adept with the electrical side than I am. I've got a supergun I made that I've been using for a while that is powered by an SW300 power supply from Jameco. It unfortunately doesn't deliver enough power for a few games I have. Because some of the smaller tabletop power supplies are so cheap at Jameco, I was wondering what would happen if I tried to connect two SW300's (or a different supply along with the SW300) to the same supergun on the same switch. Would it cause a short circuit, or would it be able to balance itself out?

I ask because I was thinking about buying one of these in order to add a -5v for games that need it:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...&catalogId=10001&productId=196138&pa=196138PS

I was wondering if while I was at it I could use the extra 1 amp of 5v and 1.5 amps of 12v current on that power supply to slightly increase the possible load. I know it's a long shot.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
It would work in theory..
I would feel more comfortable with the arrangement if both supplies where the same and set up for the same 5 volts setting.
I was thinking of doing just that in a supergun project I was working on the other day.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Wow, you think it might work? I think I'm going to just buy an arcade power supply and wire it up to a 5-pin DIN plug so I can just use it in place of the SW300 with a few choice boards. I'll add a lead for the -5v on the jamma harness that will only be active with the arcade supply, of course.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Neo Alec said:
Wow, you think it might work? I think I'm going to just buy an arcade power supply and wire it up to a 5-pin DIN plug so I can just use it in place of the SW300

Way to go

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
I was wondering what would happen if I tried to connect two SW300's (or a different supply along with the SW300) to the same supergun on the same switch.

ttoddy usually knows his stuff but I have to say I think this is a terrible idea. It sounds good in theory but I have personally blown PSUs by doing this. I suggest checking the voltage lines with a multimeter before plugging anything into some PCBs. Also fuse up the voltage outputs as the Aults don't have any fuse or diode protection for them (only AC input). Honestly though, your arcade PSU idea is much better. A PC power supply should work great too ;)

-Segasonicfan

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Neo Alec said:
Wow, you think it might work? I think I'm going to just buy an arcade power supply and wire it up to a 5-pin DIN plug so I can just use it in place of the SW300 with a few choice boards. I'll add a lead for the -5v on the jamma harness that will only be active with the arcade supply, of course.

yeah, that 's what I'd do....

But try this;

Get a pair (1 Male, 1 Female) of 8Pin Circular Dins....

Wire up the connections to the 5pin SC300 spec (pins 1-5 in the pic below)....

kyocera-faq-cassette.gif

You will have 3 extra pins (6,7,8 in the pic above) ...

Wire extra +5v lines to pins 6&7 and -5v to pin 8.

This way you can change PSU's easily....

The PC/Arcade PSU will supply both -5v and extra power on the +5v line.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I don't see any need to change the 5-pin DIN wiring I already have. I'll just wire up the currents for the arcade supply I'm buying on the same pins as the SW300 and use one of the unused ones for the -5v.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Neo Alec said:
I don't see any need to change the 5-pin DIN wiring I already have. I'll just wire up the currents for the arcade supply I'm buying on the same pins as the SW300 and use one of the unused ones for the -5v.

That will work as long as nobody tries to use a SC-200

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
That will work as long as nobody tries to use a SC-200
I don't have an SC-200 and don't intend to get one.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I have three SW300's. They're cheap. That's why I don't want any SC-200.

I bought an arcade power supply and a 5-pin DIN plug.