Monitor electrical fire 20" CRT(pics)

SSS

neo retired
I posted this problem in a topic a while ago, but that was before I put my Outrun in storage.

I dug it out after sitting about 8 months. I started it up and didn't notice anything, upon the 3rd startup the flames started again.

I couldn't get a pic up close due to the low light intensity of the flames, plus the back panel is permanently stapled. But I circled the general area after removing it:

outfire.jpg

Low level blue flames in that outlined area, also looked like electrical arcs stretching back and forth. There's a nice fizzing sound that accompanies it. It's weird because the monitor displays a practically perfect picture. Any ideas? I'm assuming I should just toss it and get a refurbed.

DJDD

Morden's Lackey
you would be correct in getting a new one and trashing that. something has shorted out and is making contact with the outer shell of the tube. save yourself the trouble and heartache and get a new one before you burn your house down

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
DJDD said:
you would be correct in getting a new one and trashing that. something has shorted out and is making contact with the outer shell of the tube. save yourself the trouble and heartache and get a new one before you burn your house down
I concur. It'd be too risky to fix it. You'd likely kill yourself, or at least just end up wating a lot of time.

Also, you can take the fighter17 image out of your sig. :D

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
If you notice in the pic...

The trail looks like it goes from under the rubber cap for the high voltage connection (2nd anode connection to be technical) down to under the CRT.

Does that CRT have the DAG ground on it? That is the braided ground wire that goes around the picture tube. If it doesn't that would explain a lot.

RJ

SSS

neo retired
channelmaniac said:
If you notice in the pic...

The trail looks like it goes from under the rubber cap for the high voltage connection (2nd anode connection to be technical) down to under the CRT.

Does that CRT have the DAG ground on it? That is the braided ground wire that goes around the picture tube. If it doesn't that would explain a lot.

RJ

I think I know what you're refering to. Usually a wire wrap that runs around the frame behind the mounting points? It has a heavily insulated wire set back a bit right above the cap that runs around, and then 2 leads pop out near the bottom and hit a molex on the chasis. Now that I think about it though, I don't remember removing any frame ground. The chasis also has a few cut wires and one soldered in that looked like it used to go to a grounding mount. Think I would still be safer with a new one.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
It is arcing from aquadag to ground, clean everying up around the back of the crt (iso is good) and make sure the aquadag grounding is OK, it should connect to ground on the grt base pcb.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
The wrapped wire you are referring to is the degaussing coil.

The dag ground is bare braded wire and usually connects to a ground point on the neck board.

I don't see it in your picture. If it's missing then there's nothing to bleed the static charges to ground and it will arc to the nearest point it can find.

Raymond

SSS

neo retired
ttooddddyy said:
It is arcing from aquadag to ground, clean everying up around the back of the crt (iso is good) and make sure the aquadag grounding is OK, it should connect to ground on the grt base pcb.

You have a link you could refer me to? My extent of monitor knowledge is hooking up AC and Video.

Also, there is a bare braided wire that does wrap around and then feeds to the neck board. The monitor's a 20" Hantarex

I may just end up retrofitting it with an open frame LCD monitor since the cab is a fairly hefty bastard.

Last edited: