How can Cham Cham be cheap in SS2?

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
I was playing my bro in SS2 yesterday and he was pounding on me with his fav character Galford. So I decided to stop playing nice and use one of my better characters, that being Cham Cham. I started owning his ass like no tomorrow. I kept on using her jumping scratch move (or whatever you call it) to catch him in the air. I also just used it to get over his plasma blades.

After I owned him 3 times in a row he started crying cheapness. He started saying my how unbalanced the game is, that Cham Cham's fierce is 2 hits, and how I play unfairly, and I tell him that Cham Cham's moves can be easily countered. Just block, use a fierce uppercut, or get a character with a dragon punch like move. Gawd, what a bitch.

Was I being cheap?

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Cham Cham does have the potential to be a cheap slut, but if you can avoid jumping in and concentrate on close combat, her attacks aren't that hard to counter.

Have your bro read this and tell him to do three things that will ensure proper ownage on your ass:

1) Avoid jumping, unless he's sure you don't the time to pull of her pouncing claw attack or upper boomerang throw.

2) Rush in close and use Galford's Strike Heads attack. (you can actually use this move as part of your dash, making it VERY effective if timed right).

3) If he uses Cham Cham's close AB attack, just use the Log Trick to nail him from above.

<small>[ May 15, 2003, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Average Joe ]</small>

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Ah yes, but shall be keep this a secert. I'll point it out to him, but then I'll just switch up to my more dominate characters such as Genjuro, Hamahuro, or Ukyo.

At least were not playing SS3 then he'd really be crying foul. I am also getting real sick of him telling my GGXX is so much better than any Neo game. I can't wait until I have SVC in my hands.

UnCauzi

Crazed MVS Addict
Well Cham Cham is an "easy mode" character similar to Ukyo. She has dominating specials if you don't have the right character to counter them. IE if you don't have a character with a decent Anti air attack, striking Cham Cham after her scratch attack is blocked can prove to be very difficult. Hit detection gets real funny after this Move I've had a LOT of attacks go completely through Cham Cham and she's thrown me on many, many, occasions. Like you said, an uppercut is probably your best bet.

Also the jumping scratch crosses up often, sometimes it crosses up when it doesn't even look like it should cross up. The special even does damn good damage.

A lot of people tend to consider something cheap when it seems relatively easy to do and has way to much effectiveness vs their character or them.

I've seen people do nothing but throw out scratch attacks vs certain characters with way, way to much success vs people that know how to play the game well. All they could do was switch characters or be frustrated to death by the move that's at times impossible to read 100% effectively where to block.

Oh and did I mention that a lot of heavy slashes will barely inflict any damage on her if she misses? And her easy chipping setups on a downed opponent?

Imo he probably had a right to bitch if he's not that good at the game and you pounced him all day. You might as well play a scrub with Cable in MvC2.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Well, if you want to tease him even more, just start doing jumping attacks on him with the D kick. (If I'm right, that's the butt attack). It has some pretty mean air to ground priority, and works as a mean jump in. Often, to screw people up, go for that jump in, combo it up quickly into a low kick into her weak claw jump. If they turtle, they think they just can't avoid that cross up. The jumping attack beats a lot of moves, and sometimes that simply gets people to turtle against it. But yeah, this is SS2, there's plenty of ways around it. You even have rolls in SS2. It's like you have to show them a counter for them to stop calling foul.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Well he is sort of a n00b, but he has played in the past. I was only pouncing him in the air cause he jumps like mofo. The pounce can be countered in the air with a simple slash. I understand it can be difficult to block because it crosses up, but isn't that hard because I've had friends try to pounce and I have blocked sucessfully. Plus if he wants to talk about being cheap how about Glaford's dog, it still strikes even if he is hit.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Average Joe:
Cham Cham does have the potential to be a cheap slut, but if you can avoid jumping in and concentrate on close combat, her attacks aren't that hard to counter.

Have your bro read this and tell him to do three things that will ensure proper ownage on your ass:

1) Avoid jumping, unless he's sure you don't the time to pull of her pouncing claw attack or upper boomerang throw.

2) Rush in close and use Galford's Strike Heads attack. (you can actually use this move as part of your dash, making it VERY effective if timed right).

3) If he uses Cham Cham's close AB attack, just use the Log Trick to nail him from above.
lol

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
kernow:
Average Joe:

lol
Poppy wants your blood.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Her sliding strong kick is also cheap and naaaaaaaassty.

A friend beat me something like thirty times in a row using a combination of her sliding kick and her jumping scratch.

I do think she is a little too powerful and I'm quite glad she only appeared in SS2.

UnCauzi

Crazed MVS Addict
Big Shady:
Well he is sort of a n00b, but he has played in the past. I was only pouncing him in the air cause he jumps like mofo. The pounce can be countered in the air with a simple slash. I understand it can be difficult to block because it crosses up, but isn't that hard because I've had friends try to pounce and I have blocked sucessfully. Plus if he wants to talk about being cheap how about Glaford's dog, it still strikes even if he is hit.
The Dog is no sweat imo it just allows for his more basic mind game. The jumping scratch has it beaten by a mile, I'd say the scratch is probably more useful than Ukyos swallow swipe. I've seen people go through hell trying to "simply slash" her out of the air. It's not as easy as you make it sound or everyone I've ever played are scrubs and you are the samsho god. As far as being able to block it, you can block it, but as certain distances it's extremely hard to tell if you block in front of you or for a cross up. A number of times I KNOW she was in front of me and suddenly I'm getting scratched like I was crossed up.

I'm just saying people hate characters with extremely safe and relatively predictable patterns especially when certain moves they have seem to have abosultely retarded priority or box properties.

Only game I know where people don't bitch heavily about these style characters is GGXX, since just about everyone plays this way.

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
Cham Cham is cheap because she can be. I still have not beat Samurai Showdown II yet since she stops me on my road to victory every time I play. My most hated move of her's is the one where she jumps up and scratches you. I will beat Cham Cham sometime. These tips ought to help me.