IGN Interview with Pres of SNKP USA

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Meh.
Hermans a shmuck & P has been in the gutter for a while now.
Sure, every once & a while they can pull a game out of thier collective asses that shines & appeases thier fans (NGBC, etc) but lets face it. they are not a game developent company. They are simply a company set up to use/rehash/milk whatever old SNK I.P.'s they can until it just can't be done anymore.
The company is so freakin poor that re-drawing sprites is like a dark art thats not even spoken of.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
ORPHEUS said:
The company is so freakin poor that re-drawing sprites is like a dark art thats not even spoken of.

uhhhhhh, not that I think SNKP is a great company or anything, but you do know KOF XII is going be completely redrawn, right?

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Playmore is not my favorite company either, but we wouldn't be getting anything if it wasn't for them.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
ORPHEUS said:
Meh.
Hermans a shmuck & P has been in the gutter for a while now.
Sure, every once & a while they can pull a game out of thier collective asses that shines & appeases thier fans (NGBC, etc) but lets face it. they are not a game developent company. They are simply a company set up to use/rehash/milk whatever old SNK I.P.'s they can until it just can't be done anymore.
the old SNK rarely redrew sprites themselves.

"There are a couple of factors there. If you want to bring any fighters to PS3 and Xbox 360 you have the requirements of high definition, with 720p and beyond"

this I did not know, it's a rather interesting fact.

Last edited:

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
roker said:
uhhhhhh, not that I think SNKP is a great company or anything, but you do know KOF XII is going be completely redrawn, right?

Yes, I am well aware. But honestly, how fucking long did it take. Lets not add to the fact that no one knows just how good P's "high res" will look. GGX I can live with but having to look at a game like ReBout makes me want to rip my eyes out.

OrochiEddie said:
the old SNK rarely redrew sprites themselves.

Not entirely true. Even with SNK's rehashes thier were completely new things brought to the table. all the while standards were kept higher then that of P's.
Beyond the milking SNK still brought new & original I.P. each year.
P will always be a company living off of the scraps of another long gone until they are useless. The only way this will change is if they learn to thrive & grow by bringing about new & original sofware, Quality sequals that long time fans want and porting existing titles effectively (NGBC on PSP would be nice) even if all this means buddying up with other companies to help quality control.

Last edited:

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
Mostly about the Wii so I could care less but this part I liked:

IGN: Finally - if we can end on a bit of a quirky note - when are you going to offer lessons to Sony and Nintendo on how to make analog sticks for portables? The Neo Pocket Color has the best stick out there.

Herman: (laughs) Yeah I'll tell ya, that stick was really great.

I totally agree! The PSP could use the NGPC's stick!

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
NGPC didn't have an analog stick :emb:

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
I think we are lucky to have what we have. I am sure Ben Herman would do more for the Neo Geo if he had absolute power over the company. I am sure Japan pulls the strings plenty, and probably in directions Ben wouldnt go on his own.

I will pick up their forthcoming games for PS2...

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Weevus said:
Playmore is not my favorite company either, but we wouldn't be getting anything if it wasn't for them.

I'm not seeing how that would be a problem.. ..

JFlex

Marked Wolf
I guess by "arcade products" for the japanese market, he's referring to KOF XII? I find it odd that he didn't mention any plans to transition SNKP's future successful "arcade products" to any home systems.

In fact, it's odd that no mention was made of KOF XII. If you have a great product in development, that you're proud of, you mention it! You definitely mention it to an online gaming magazine!

I think KOF XII has been scrapped, or it really sucks. I hope that's not the case, but why not mention it??? :conf:

aria

Former Moderator
This man comes off as a corporate stooge.

How fortunate that makes him: SNK (like Japanese companies in general) has a penchant for staying loyal to sometimes incompetent local groups so long as they play the game right (esp. if they're a family --see the Barone nightmare) --Herman's soulless answers to those questions demonstrates why SNK-P has become nothing but a shell of a company that's focused on milking as much profit off of the games that already exist.

Seriously, he's an idiot --I still remember how incompetent the SvC launch was-- and I wouldn't trust him to run any company I have stock in.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
FUCK DON'T SAY "INTERVIEW WITH PRES OF SNKP" THEN POST INTERVIEW WITH HERMAN. what the fuck. What a waste of 10 seconds waiting for the page to load.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
I understand that Playmore is just milking SNK's previous greatness, but I still like having all MS on one disc. There, I said it, I don't have the money for homecarts, I don't have room for a cab, and maybe one day I'll get a CMVS, but right now paying $40 for some decent ports of great games isn't all that bad.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
FUCK DON'T SAY "INTERVIEW WITH PRES OF SNKP" THEN POST INTERVIEW WITH HERMAN. what the fuck. What a waste of 10 seconds waiting for the page to load.

Title fixed. Sorry you wasted 10 seconds of your life that I'm sure would have been spent well otherwise.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Weevus said:
Title fixed. Sorry you wasted 10 seconds of your life that I'm sure would have been spent well otherwise.
It's just that I wake up, see this, and think I'm maybe about to be able to read an interview with the president of SNKP. I clicked the link before scrolling down, and was thinking "Don't be an interview with Ben Herman. Don't be an interview with Ben Herman. Don't be an interview with Ben Herman." But it was. It's like promising an interview with the owner of a sports team, then delivering a one-on-one with the guy who sells peanuts and crackerjacks in the stands. Unsatisfying and pointless.

I'd think some of the members here, like Beelze and barfhappy maybe, probably know more about SNKP's future plans than Ben Herman does. Probably by a wide margin.

aria

Former Moderator
In addition to being a disappointing puppet yes-man in the US, he's also one consonant away from being a different interesting person all together:

ben-sherman.jpg

JFlex

Marked Wolf
Weevus said:
I understand that Playmore is just milking SNK's previous greatness, but I still like having all MS on one disc. There, I said it, I don't have the money for homecarts, I don't have room for a cab, and maybe one day I'll get a CMVS, but right now paying $40 for some decent ports of great games isn't all that bad.

I agree, it's nice to buy a compilation of retro games for a discounted price. However, building a business with a Going Concern requires the forethought to make the most of an interview with a largely circulated magazine (IGN).

Bobak is right, Herman has proven to be nothing more than a puppet for the powers that be in Japan. What's worse, he's not even a good puppet. He should have taken the opportunity to promote any new SNKP products. The interview was a complete waste of IGN's time.

By the way, I wasn't too pleased with the questions asked either?

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
That was worth reading for me for the sole reason that he mentioned fatal fury battle archives is comming. I had no idea about this.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
XcomplexzX said:
That was worth reading for me for the sole reason that he mentioned fatal fury battle archives is comming. I had no idea about this.

And at leat future game will be supported by the classic controller.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I wouldn't say that the interview is a waste of anyone's time.

I read it, and I'm sure many of you all did too. Sure, it didn't have anything exciting in it, but the important thing is keeping the product on the minds of consumers. IGN helped do that, SNKP benefited, and many of us went to the site to read about it.