Mortal Kombat 2 beer bath AKA beer-ailty

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Am I getting this error due to a dead battery on board? If I were to replace it would it save my test menu settings? Also, how long do these batterys last for?

Thanks,
B

Last edited:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
A flat battery should not cause that. Is it going through the test sequence

megageoff76

Crazed MVS Addict
My MK2 used to do that on start up, up until a few days ago, when I replaced the battery. The battery does save all your settings, like volume, difficulty etc.

Hopefully it should fix your problem too, batteries are cheap so it cant hurt to give it a try.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
I thought my boardset ran OK with the battery removed, maybe thinking of something else.

Thanks megageoff76 and a warm welcome to a Kiwi on the forum, the first afaik, a few good Aussies around here too ;)

Used to live in Rotarua some years ago :) Where are you ?

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Well the cmos error is the least of my worries now.

My buddy and I were playin MK2 last night, and he got up from the cabinet after loosing, kicked over his beer, and spilled a ton of it on the MK2 board while it was running :-/ I immediately turned off the cabinet, and dried out the MK2, but now there are graphical problems (something must have been shorted). There's snow all over the screen, and the sound board stopped working.

I guess I can't be too pissed however, considering MK2 is the least expensive PCB in my collection. I guess I'll just buy another one, not really worth fixing this one.

-B

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
how the hell could the beer reach the board inside the cab?

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
I'll take it if you're going to trash it :D

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
MKL said:
how the hell could the beer reach the board inside the cab?

I didnt' get around to mounting it on the wooden plank that goes inside of my astro city yet (was planning on doing that tonight. So, needless to say, the PCB was running outside of the cab as a temp solution.

-Bill

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
ttooddddyy said:
It may have been a cocktail cab :lol:

HAH good one!

So I got home today after letting the beer-ality MK2 PCB dry off over night, and fired it up one last time. The graphics problems have gone away mysteriously, however now there is no sound whatsoever. The sound PCB's LED doesnt' even illuminate... any ideas?

-Bill

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
werejag said:
clean the cables to the sound board a reset them

Already tried it :(

I'm gonna run the MK2 thru the dish washer tomorrow if I have time. Maybe its some beer residue thats causing a short (on the -5v line I'm guessing).

Eh we'll see.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
here to hoping it works hate to see another mk2 die

FalcomAdol

Fio's Quartermaster
billd420 said:
Already tried it :(

I'm gonna run the MK2 thru the dish washer tomorrow if I have time. Maybe its some beer residue thats causing a short (on the -5v line I'm guessing).

Eh we'll see.
I was just about to recommend that actually.

I was frustrated as hell with a Metal Slug 2 cart that I was sure didn't work and never would, and ran it through the pots and pans cycle the other day.

After a session with a hairdryer, the damn thing worked like it had just left the factory. I couldn't believe it.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Lolz...

So I took out all of the eprom chips, pals and the battery, cleaned everything real good, put it back together, and PRESTO the board is back in action, working 100% perfectly. Lesson learned, no more PCB's running outside of the cabs, especially while drinking.

-B

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
If you need another mk2 jamma pcb let me know. I have one but don't have the cables to make the sound board work, but the pcb works fine and i have the sound board that goes with it. Or you could buy it without the sound board as i think my mk1 board can use it. Either way i thought i'd play it more but due to not having time to mess with the kick harness and sound board i just haven't been playing it much. Let me know if you are interested.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
xmods said:
If you need another mk2 jamma pcb let me know. I have one but don't have the cables to make the sound board work, but the pcb works fine and i have the sound board that goes with it. Or you could buy it without the sound board as i think my mk1 board can use it. Either way i thought i'd play it more but due to not having time to mess with the kick harness and sound board i just haven't been playing it much. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer, but I should be all set. I know werejag is looking for an MK2, or at the very least the eprom set from it, why don't you contact him.

-Bill