Real Bout Dominated Mind = Class Act

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
I got this game this morning from NBM (thanks!), and was expecting a straight port of Real Bout Special but with Alfred as a bonus playable character. How very wrong.

For a start, there is a really nice Anime intro. It's short but it looks great, the animation style is the same as the KOF DreamMatch intro on the DC. Ok, so onto the game.

Load times are surprising very good and the animation barely has any frames missing.

The moves lists have changed a LOT from normal RBS. Terry has some new moves, including a mvoe where he does a left than right hook with his hands glowing Blue. and the commands for almost every characters DM's have been changed. Kim's Pheonix Flatterner is now his S-power, in Neo RBS it was his P-power. Kim also has a very painful looking Axe Kick move, which is very well animated. Some of the commands have been 'Capcomized' for example, Joe's screw upper is HCF, HCF + P+K, before it was HCB > F + P+K.
Blue Mary is by default her RBS 'EX' version, meaning she wears Black and Red, has a new stance and some new moves. Geese has the 'Halo'.

The backgrounds have had extra detail added into them and look really good! for example on the Hong Kong street stage their is now a film crew that records the fight. On Tung's stage, their are some old chinese boats floating on the river. The biggest improvement is on the Sound Beach stage, on the neo RBS it was very empty, on RBSDM their are people playing volleyball and a beach buggy doing handbrake turns on it!
However you can no longer smash your opponent through the items at the edge of the stage.

Before you fight Billy Kane there is an introductory Anime which shows him smashing up his drum kit. When the fight starts, it is all over the floor smashed up, which is obvious very different from the Neo version.

the game has a totally new end boss, an evil clown named 'White' not only does the character look great, he has one of the coolest backgrounds i've ever seen. Evil broken dolls line the walls and the eye of a giant doll watches you as you fight. Looks like something from Guilty Gear, but with some SNK goodness sprinkled onto it. White is a really cheap , tough bastard as well. He makes Nightmare Geese and Krauser look quite easy. He has a 1-hit instant dizzy move and his DM fills most of the screen and does massive damage.

the version of the game i bought also came with a 2nd disc, 'Garou Densetsu fan service' or something like that. It's totally japanese so i was stumped. Mai came on and started talking some crap, but after mashing the buttons a few times i came to a character select screen. What was cool it had some of the long-forgotten garou cast redrawn RBS style! Jubei Yamada, Axel Hawk, the kick-boxer from Fatal Fury 1 and Big Bear were all there.

Overall a great purchase for any Real Bout fan, looking for a 'New' RB game to play.

<small>[ April 26, 2003, 06:49 AM: Message edited by: Plisken ]</small>

skam

Super Spy Agent
the psx, I think.

thanks for the insight anyway plisken, I'm looking to pick this one up meself at some point so it's appreciated.

edit: can I ask how much this set you back?

<small>[ April 26, 2003, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: skam ]</small>

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
skam:
the psx, I think.

thanks for the insight anyway plisken, I'm looking to pick this one up meself at some point so it's appreciated.

I've seen these in Tokyo for about $19-24...

Ask beelzebobble for Osaka prices...

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
hey plisken i agree its a great game and all the new stuff is cool but the extra moves are put in to make up for the removal of the line sway system. with its removal quite a few sway specials (sokakus fire ball move for one) got removed as did the whole line sway combo system (example s.B->s.B->f+C->b+C->terry's qcb+b or super etc).

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
skam:
the psx, I think.

£16 delivered :)

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
I've been wanting this game for a while now. Is there a Boot disc I can download for my PSX so I can play RBSDM?

Mike

Real Bout Maniac

Corporal Dick,
Same here - I've been wishing I had a way to play this ever since it was first released.

Unfortunately, I've never had either an import system, or a modded one, so I've been unable to give this a whirl. :(

Still, if I ever do get an import friendly system, I'll definately be picking this one up, as I've heard nothing but good things about it!

At least I've got the opening anime downloaded onto my hard-drive... :D

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Anyone wants a Japanese one, PM me, I'll send it to you for cost + postage.

Again, prices are around 2000 yen ($20), plus about $3-4 postage to the 'States.

P-Geyser

Overtop Pathfinder
DAMN!!!...you know I "HAD" the oppritunitty to purchase this game but did not. Now i am really kicking myself hard. oh_no