Real Bout Fatal Fury - Not a Boot

FalcomAdol

Fio's Quartermaster
Hiya.

I've just gotten in a huge load of carts here, so I'm busy popping them up and verifying CRCs.

One of them is a Real Bout Fatal Fury cart that all looks authentic inside, and checks on the CRCs, but in addition to the 095 chips, has some 069 chips. 069 was Fatal Fury 3, so I'm guessing that this is some sort of asset reuse by SNK, but I'd like confirmation that other carts display this same ... profile.

Also, one of the screw holes is cracked the hell up, so if anyone can give me a lead on replacement cart cases, I'd be much obliged. I thought I had previously seen some at Southtown, but can't find them now.

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I don't know chips by number..Most likely the cart is legit and fine..

I tell boots etc mainly by pictures so if you can post some up,please do so that I can check it out..

But another member might know chips so they might be able help..

FalcomAdol

Fio's Quartermaster
DSCF0129.jpg

DSCF0131.jpg

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
FalcomAdol said:
Yeah, I was pretty sure of that. Interesting mix of ROMs though.

Yea...
I'm not fully sure on the rom mix,I gotta look at my own copy..

SNK did some weird things at times though:)

SSS

neo retired
HAHA that's pretty neat. Never noticed this before. My cart's the same way. I also repacked the MAME dump of RBFF with the FF3 rom versions and it worked. Guess since majority of the character sprites are the same they saw no reason to create new chips when they had left over FF3 stock. RBFF is just FF3+ then..

Gonna check my other RBFF versions. Wonder if they did this with any other series (coughKOFcough)

FalcomAdol

Fio's Quartermaster
Well, I'm going through more carts, and I just found that Kizuna Encounter has some Savage Reign ROMs in it.

Again, makes sense, they're both in the Fu'un series.

I have a whole stack of KoFs here to go through as well, so if I see anything interesting, I'll put it here.

edit: btw, I've never played Kizuna Encounter before...what a FANTASTIC looking game.

edit: Looked at KOF 95, 98, 99, 2000, 2001, and 2003. No oddly numbered ROMs, but a real mickey mouse job in KOF 95. I think I've seen the like posted here before as authentic (four EPROMs on progtop with four colors, and a few wires, an EPROM on the second board as well).

Last edited:

FalcomAdol

Fio's Quartermaster
Just for giggles, here's the mickey mouse KOF95:

DSCF0138.jpg

DSCF0137.jpg

I taped the four EPROMs on the top board, but it's quite reminiscent of a SS cart posted elsewhere here, with the four color stripes. It's wired up, but AFAIK, the bosses aren't unlocked, although honestly KOF95 isn't really my major game (I have a lot more experience with KOF98), so I would have to confirm that again, probably.

Here's some detail on that wiring:

DSCF0138b.jpg

Last edited: