EVOLUTION OF A VIDEO GAME COLLECTOR

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
ttooddddyy said:
Installing cabs into friends homes (due to running out of space at ones own)is a dead give away of the bug.

I prefer to think of it as sharing the love. ;)

For the old time chat roomers, it would be shaving the love. :p

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
I'd say I'm in between beginner and intermediate.

Hopefully it wont progress, for the sake of my bank account.:help:

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
I'd say I have the attitude of an intermediate (eh, the games will be there later, no rush to get them, and I already have most of what I want) but, going strictly by that writeup, I'm a beginner since I have no cabinets and haven't really spent time looking for any.

I do, however, have a stack of JAMMA boards and MVS carts, and the tech skills to do some troubleshooting / modding / building when necessary.

It blows my mind to read the bit about "if you're living with your parents." That's madness. I can't imagine anyone collecting cabs while living with their parents.

SSS

neo retired
I'd say intermediate. I've currently got 5 cabs, 4 of them dedicated. Some 10+ misc JAMMA boards and hyper 64 stuff, and 50+ MVS carts and kits with more on the way. I'm getting near to having all the neo games I want. Only purchases left are games I have on NGH but really want to play in the cab. (rebought samsho 1/2 for this purpose) and some obscure stuff, like Panic Bomber.

On the other hand, the last homecart purchase I made was a "broken" old style stick about a year ago.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Yay i'm experienced :)

Here are my tell-tale signs:
*I specialize mostly in one hardware platform (CPS3), however I'm well rounded in all areas
*My basement is CHOCK full of hardware and cabs
*I upgraded my appartment, keeping cabinet space in mind

Taken from the article:
Back to time. It's a miracle, at this level, that the games are
working at all, given all the other demands on an experienced collector's
time. Some is spent answering beginner and intermediate questions, some
writing new FAQs and posting to the newsgroup, some with board repair,
some with board sales, and a lot in overhead, visiting the post office
to handle the shipping. Heck you're a permanent fixture at UPS and know
most the folks behind the counter by first name!

LOL that paragraph summs me up in a nutshell (aside from writing FAQ's as I simply dont' have time).

Funny read.
-Bill

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
Beginner. Too broke to buy more goddamn jamma boards.

K'99

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Wow, I didnt even think I would fit into one of those categories. But thinking about how much I have spent on mvs and atomiswave games in the past year it all makes sense.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Installing cabs into friends homes (due to running out of space at ones own)is a dead give away of the bug.
:tickled:

I tried that with a friend of mine.:p .I had an opportunity to get some cabs cheap and they were of games he loved..(the cabs were pretty much going to be given to him)..
Though he's over 18 pays half the rent,his parents wasn't having it.(he had lots of room-big house-big basement)
Too bad as his parents probably would of played them more then him.

After that I realized why my friend just never had much in life,not even a bike...his parents were loaded but didn't buy him shit-didn't want anything of his taking up room..

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I guess Intermediate, but with a twist! This is a longy, but I'm a little nostalgic right now, so bear with me.

I have alot of consoles games, specially arcade titles, my first "Big" machine was a Saturn Display, is gorgeous, and Saturn is my 2nd favorite system next to the Neo.

I had an AES with a little over 20 titles, once the AES was gone (Long story) I got a consolized MVS and I'm still having issues with that.

I started this whole thing building sticks for consoles, because I couldn't deal with the crap they put out there, through that process I found that the childhood dream of having an arcade at home isn't that difficult, so I got a Cab, then Another, then Another, and now I'm going to pick up my 4th tomorrow.

I got my close friends to join the Neo Clan, and so the first one to have a cab of all of us was DecepticonZero, we converted a midway cab to Neo, and then We restored a 4 Slot he found for a super deal.

I stick to the Neo more than anything else, so I got a Goldie and restored it, then a 4 slot Rev 3 that I', still working on, and just recently I got a 4 slot Rev 1 without a CP, but DecepticonZero came to the rescue on that one, the thing is Minty as hell, but there's some technical issues, nothing we can't handle though.

So right now I have 3 MVS original cabs, 101 MVS titles, and a CMVS plus a 2slot board, and a 1slot board (Gift form Gilty Gear) for future projects.

Recently DZ and GG sold me their NEOCD collection (24 Titles) and I'm going for more, I love this Neo CD! The music is just amazing! Loading times are perfect for weedies and cigars!:mr_t:

Getting out of the AES was the best move I ever made, although I'm stcking with NEO, DZ is spreading on me the disease that is CPS-2 AARRRGGHH! Also I've been heavily thinking on a few Namco oldies (Galaga Stage 22 score is over 200k, what can I tell you I'm proud ofthat!), those are my favorites.

So in the middle of doing all this, I've learned to build wood cabs, sticks, wire pretty much anything, and I'm getting the hang of power supplies and how they operate, I guess my forte is designing CP's and Arcade Art, I even took a crack at making Shock Box Inserts.

Sorry to post all this mumbo jumbo, but after reading that FAQ link, it just made me realize how much we share the corners of our lives with similar behaviors.

Like I said Intermediate with a twist!

Shine on!

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
I'm an intermediate though slowly building up to experienced. I have a truck, but I'm negotiating to get a trailer. I'm wanting to build a garage/warehouse to house everything. My house is too small, so I can't get many of the things I'd like to get (Door is too small). I currently only own 5 cabs though, 3 need fixing though. I have a long way to go to being an experienced, there's too many things on my list. But I know what I want and I'll get them eventually

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
I have more than enough space to be an avid collector the problem is I live with my parents, they bitch about me having a few consoles and games let alone every console and game along with some arcade systems :)

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
jdotaku said:
I have more than enough space to be an avid collector the problem is I live with my parents, they bitch about me having a few consoles and games let alone every console and game along with some arcade systems :)
At least you're not 40 years old, and horribly obese.

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
I simply don't have the space for big arcade machines, yet I love the condo where I live and hope to not move anytime soon. But that's another thing that I like about the Neo. Whether it's AES, or consolized MVS, you don't have to buy big cabs to own and play a fun collection of true arcade games.

I am thinking of somehow squeezing in an RGB cab anyway though. This is probably a bad sign...

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
I think somewhere nearby intermediate... Aspiring to be guru, but cannot achieve due to time constraints. >_<