who else can do CPS-3 battery swaps?

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
I understand that bill is changing all the batteries for devilredeemed for his third strike kits and will probably have his hands full with those. And I Pm'd MeanBean to see if he could do it, but he hasn't logged in since the 11th.

Is there anyone else out there that can change the battery on a cps3 cart for a reasonable price? PM me with price info. if you're able to.

thanks.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
ive read about it. and have worked on us navy aircraft for 5 years. im willing to give it a try but i don't know if you would want to chance me? since im not a pro yet.

cost of shipping return and battery only for you

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Can these be phoenixed?

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
im looking into that. if they can im so willing to try

20 Year Member
I would not own a CPSIII cart unless it was phoenixed. I'd be paranoid if it wasn't.

That's too much money riding on a ~$1 part.

N80G80

Igniz's Servent
werejag said:
im looking into that. if they can im so willing to try

Nope they cant be phoenixed....once there dead there dead :(

20 Year Member
N80G80 said:
Nope they cant be phoenixed....once there dead there dead :(

Wow, no CPSIII for me.

20 Year Member
What's the time limit once the battery has been removed?

20 Year Member
SpamYouToDeath said:
I thought it was nothing.

The SRAM would have to hold the encrypted data for a little while in order for someone to be able to swap the battery. Unless there's another method I don't know about.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
SpamYouToDeath said:
I thought it was nothing.

+1

Not sure why it can't be Phoenixed... The data is either encrypted or scrambled on the ROMs which makes it harder but I'm not sure if anyone has been able to either read the roms with a debugger and even if they could , they haven't been able to program a clean one and get it to work with the security cart.

Last edited:

N80G80

Igniz's Servent
I believe the data is encrypted on the roms, and once the battery is disconnected, it loses the encryption key, anyway you actually have to keep the cart charged while doing a battery swap. I believe bill actually powers the cart through the cps3 board while its on and does the battery swap while the game is actually running.

Last edited:

20 Year Member
N80G80 said:
I believe the data is encrypted on the roms, and once the battery is disconnected, it loses the data, anyway you actually have to keep the cart charged while doing a battery swap. I believe bill actually powers the cart through the cps3 board while its on and does the battery swap while the game is actually running.

Wow. Risky indeed!

Thanks for the information.

Kunio

Mr. Big's Thug
I am not sure but it seems as if the cart switches off the battery when you play the game and the cart gets power from the motherboard. I heard somewhere that the safest way is to change the battery while the game is running, since at that time the battery is not needed. If you take the battery out without backup power, the cart dies immediately.

I think the roms are encrypted and the encryption key is stored on the cart. If you kill the cart, you have no key and the encrypted game roms can no longer be read.

Edit: Double post.. :angry: I'll read the whole thread before posting next time..

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
N80G80 said:
I believe the data is encrypted on the roms, and once the battery is disconnected, it loses the data, anyway you actually have to keep the cart charged while doing a battery swap. I believe bill actually powers the cart through the cps3 board while its on and does the battery swap while the game is actually running.

It doesn't lose the data on the ROMs, it loses the encryption key which is stored in SRAM which is volatile. When the backup power is gone the key is gone.

I'd sure like to get my hands on a dead cart just to look at it and try to gain a better understanding of it.

RJ

Kpj

Larfleeze, Wielder of the Orange Light. , formerly
I've done a few successfully.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Yo anyone that wants battery swaps hit me up. I've got time for em...

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
channelmaniac said:
It doesn't lose the data on the ROMs, it loses the encryption key which is stored in SRAM which is volatile. When the backup power is gone the key is gone.

I'd sure like to get my hands on a dead cart just to look at it and try to gain a better understanding of it.

RJ

The volatile key is stored in a custom capcom IC with 50+ pins. Its a total BITCH to attempt to read it, trust.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Kunio said:
I am not sure but it seems as if the cart switches off the battery when you play the game and the cart gets power from the motherboard. I heard somewhere that the safest way is to change the battery while the game is running, since at that time the battery is not needed. If you take the battery out without backup power, the cart dies immediately.

Yes that is correct, it switched to motherboard power, and the battery can safely be swapped while the motherboard is powered on.

20 Year Member
billd420 said:
The volatile key is stored in a custom capcom IC with 50+ pins. Its a total BITCH to attempt to read it, trust.

Clever. They integrated the SRAM chip(s) into a custom IC with other components.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
68k said:
Clever. They integrated the SRAM chip(s) into a custom IC with other components.

There's also a TSOP48 flash rom inside the cartridge. Its believed that the TSOP48 acts as a "bios" for the cartridge, telling it what region to display. If I had a surface mount rework station and the right adapter, I'd dump the chip and compare.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
You got the adapter to read the chip?

I got the surface mount station. ;)

RJ

20 Year Member
Bill, can you snap a pic of the PCB inside of the cart, with the chip believed to store the SRAM?