Do u think AOF will ever come back.....

Me and the Infamous VX are BIG fans of AOF(me: robert, him: ryo). The characters of AOF has always been apart kof and ff, but their own series went bye-bye after aof3 (its was wyler's fault!!!). Do think AOF will get another game?? Does it deserve another game after what happened with aof 3??

------------------
"...and I'll make Ted Kennedy pay! If fights it, I'll say that he's gay!!"

--- Amendment to be.

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
I too like Ryo, he's fun to control. As for AOF getting its own game... that's hard to say. I could imagine an AOF 4... but I think it's safe to say the series is gone for good as far as individual games are concerned.

AOF 3 was a disgrace.

Then again, let's keep hoping AOF 4 will come out. Hell, I been waiting for a World Heroes 3 ever since 1996 so yeah....

Still waiting...

(any game programmers out there reading this?!?!?!??)

And that's all we can do for our respective franchises... wait and hope.

------------------
"Hanzou, this time you better finish it off!"
-Fuuma

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Ah, AOF. I love that game. I played alot of AOF even thought it was very limited cause it was fun.

AOF2 is one HARDASS game, the programmers did a bad job making it fun vs the cpu, cause its so freakin cheap, but never theless, AOF2 had some of the most awesome sound effects ever.

AOF3 was wierd.. too many chracters lost, and the original AOF style seemed to be all too gone.

I truly do wish for an AOF4, it would be great if they got it right. Brick back Eiji, John, Mickey, ahh memories.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Wish it would. I miss the series so much.

---------------------------------------------

"Don't be scared! I'll only cut off one of your heads! Guess!"

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
part 3 was such a let-down....

its like tekken in 2d

and where are king,eiji,yuri,john,mr big and all the groovy fighters?

the new ones are a joke

the fat dwarf with the pelican,
the blue ninja is pretty laughable,
rody's super lame

and so on

even lenny aint that fit or hot

but the main issue is the gameplay,
they really lost it

they tried to be innovative but...

and also,
whats up with the fact that you're basically with your arse on the floor half the time?

you jump,they hit you with a stupid "a" punch,and you're down again...

havin said all of that...

i have aof3 and i play it every now and again,and i like it

because of the bgs,
some of the best ever on the neo,
and for the music....

but i only use ryo or robert

ah,i wish there was a code to use Freia
wink.gif

and hey
lets face it

5 years have gone by

the Ryuuko no ken series is dead,
i really cant see a chapter 4 happenin in the future..

but yes,
it would absolutely RULE

just like SS5,Gekka3,Motw2,FF4 and so on...

but alas...

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
<< the blue ninja is pretty laughable >>

You DAAAAAMN right!! Telling ya... there's only one LEGIT blue ninja around town.... there's only one.... and you're lookin at him!
wink.gif

"ORA!!"

------------------
"Hanzou, this time you better finish it off!"
-Fuuma

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
aye....

and hes FAT !!
smile.gif

a fat ninja?

just not right !

Rain

Fashion Designer,
20 Year Member
That shitty blue ninja looked fucking arabian to me.... what were SNK thinking when they made AOF3 anyway? Wang, Wyler, Rody and Lenny were totally lame, but I kinda liked Sinclair..

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rain:
That shitty blue ninja looked fucking arabian to me.... what were SNK thinking when they made AOF3 anyway? Wang, Wyler, Rody and Lenny were totally lame, but I kinda liked Sinclair..

* nods *

too right....

too right......

sinclair is simply rock n roll

Rain

Fashion Designer,
20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Neo Rasa:
What about Earthquake?
biggrin.gif

At least Earthquake wasn't a badly designed piece of crap. And wasn't arabian. And wasn't in the worst SNK "KOF universe" game ever.

Rain

Fashion Designer,
20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fran:
* nods *

too right....

too right......

sinclair is simply rock n roll

I really thought that Sinclair was a great character.... shame she's never appeared anywhere since.... Come on Eolith, put her in KOF 2001!!!!

Batsu_Power

Armored Scrum Object
Hm.. Rain, guess you don't like Arabs? Just asking, that's all
smile.gif

------------------
I maybe a hot blooded student... but I'm one hell of a fighter!!! -Batsu

Akurai Yurusan! HAH!!- Kim Kaphwan

Rain

Fashion Designer,
20 Year Member
Oh, I think Arabs are great, Arabian Ninjas however are just totally lame........ you could say Sinclairs Arabian though and I think she's great
smile.gif

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
I don't see why not, martial arts originated in the middle east before migrating over to the far east
smile.gif

I actually thought Jin had an awesome look, it just pissed me off that he was a ninja and not a grappler.
frown.gif

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by Steve:
<< the blue ninja is pretty laughable >>

You DAAAAAMN right!! Telling ya... there's only one LEGIT blue ninja around town.... there's only one.... and you're lookin at him!
wink.gif

"ORA!!"

Grrr...Sick him Poppy! :D
I have to agree with Rasa. I like Jin's look and he should have been a grappler. Oh well, at least his ditch move's a piece of cake to pull off.

Rain

Fashion Designer,
20 Year Member
Sorry, i've tried to like Jin, but I can't help comparing him to Eiji, and then I hate him even more :(

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Hmm...

Art Of Fighting 3...

Hmm...

When I picked up this game, I was excited about the possibilities. Once I played it...

...well...

...allow me to capsulate my thoughts into a mini review, if you will.

The Path Of The Warrior: Art Of Fighting 3
Ryu Ko No Ken Gaiden: The Art Of Fighting

The third chapter of the Art Of Fighting storyline shifts the focus away from the Sakazaki family and onto Robert Garcia and his desire to help an old childhood friend through a crisis that takes place, as far as I can tell, somewhere in South America or Mexico named Grasshill Valley. Robert is denied permission to leave the Garcia Foundation to help his friend but ignores his father's decision and goes anyway, prompting Mr. Garcia to send special agent Karman Cole to retrieve him (is there a connection between the Garcia Foundation and Wyler Robert doesn't know about? Hmn....).

Robert soon discovers that Freia is involved with a man named Wyler who is attempting to perfect a drug that will enhance one's physical characteristics to superhuman levels. Many people are encountered on this journey, some of them bounty hunters attempting to capture Freia (Rody, Lenny), others seeking revenge against enemies from the past whose paths have intertwined with that of Robert and Ryo (Jin Fu Ha, Kasumi Todo), and animal rights activist/artists (Wang Koh San).

While Robert protects Freia, Ryo Sakazaki is visited by Karman Cole, who thinks Ryo might be able to predict Robert's movements because he knows him so well. Concerned for Robert's safety, Ryo and Yuri decide to accompany Karman to Grasshill Valley to find their errant friend.

All of this comes to a head as Robert takes on all comers before beating Karman and a concerned Ryo (they are equals, after all), convincing them that Freia is his responsibility now and he must see this through. He eventually finds Freia and Wyler, who drinks his enhancing drug in order to crush Robert. It turns him into a monster, and he nearly destroys the Kyokugen fighter. Yuri makes the save for him, buying him the time he needs to get back into the fight.

Robert beats Wyler, who reverts back to normal but there was a price for the power he recently held. His mind has been destroyed. Freia, concerned for Wyler's well being, decides to stay with him in order to take care of him, and the adventure comes to an end. The epilogue shows Robert and Yuri at the airport preparing to board a plane bound for Italy together, thus concluding the storyline and, for all intents and purposes, solidifying Robert and Yuri as a couple (if the events of the epilogue and the implications made are any indication).

Here's what I liked about it:

The story: This would have made a great martial arts movie. Some people probably think Robert shouldn't have been the main focus of the game, but I disagree. AOF 3's dramatic departure from the 'continuing adventures of the Kyokugenryu family' was a bold step, and I liked the shift of perspective. Robert is a worthy character, Ryo's equal (in the AOF series the two have always been presented as roughly the same in strength and skill), and I liked that for once, the flamboyant, roguish character of a series wasn't reduced to comic relief (a la Joe in KOF/FF), and was given the spotlight to shine for once. Bravo, SNK.

The animation: Best ever in 2D fighter. Even moreso than Garou and SFIII, in my opinion.

The music: This is one of SNK's best soundtracks ever. A really cool fusion of jazz and techno that is just perfect for this game and its atmosphere. It sounds like an arranged soundtrack, but that's all original, sweet neo cart sound coming out of that puppy :).

The backgrounds: A wonderful variety of backgrounds, each of them with vibrant colors and fluid animations. The fountain background is particularly stunning, as is the Cinqo de Mayo festival setting for reasons of its estranged, desperate ambience.

The pursuit attacks: They are all very inventive and entertaining to watch. Especially Karman's :).

The moving whallops: these are the moves where you step past and toss the opponent to the ground. Added another dimension to 2D fighting at the time.

Here's what I didn't like about it:

The constant knockdowns: they were frustrating, bogged the gameplay down and far too frequent for my tastes.

The ultimate k.o.s: Too easy to exploit, and nobody should be cheated out having at least two fights per credit.

No playable Yuri: Just think, if we didn't have KOF she would only have been playable in one game:P!

Now, on to the playable characters.

Who I like:

Robert Garcia
Ryo Sakazaki
Rody Birts (I dont know what people have against him, I think he's cool. How many bounty hunters are there in fighting games, anyway?)
Lenny Creston (Whip BEFORE Whip, and her inclusion helps to further flesh out one of the supporting characters, giving them their own storylines and making them seem more important, rather than simply as fodder to be beaten down by the main characters, which is the mistake a lot of fighting games make)
Karman (coolest character, conceptually, in the game)
Sinclair

Who I didn't like:

Kasumi Todo (did we REALLY need a follow up character to Ryuhaku Todo? Her victory lines are funny, though)
Jin Fu Ha (Why not just find a way to work Eiji into the game? For such a cool character, why is he only playable in 2 GAMES!!!!???)

Who I hated:

Wang Koh San (does such a character have a chance of EVER winning a fight? Against ANYBODY?)
Wyler (cool...until you had to fight him. What's with SNK swiping the Hulk from Marvel:P)

So there you have it. Overall, I'd say I liked this game a lot. At least, if my review is any indication. But I don't know if that's because it just appealed to my particular tastes or if, in fact, it's a good game.

Most people don't like it, but I think it's pretty good. I'd give it a 3 out of 4 stars. I'd happily accept a fourth installment.

Hope I didn't bore anyone :).

Rain

Fashion Designer,
20 Year Member
A fair, balanced review Taiso... still don't like it though. Although, I did like Sinclair, Kasumi and Karmen. And Robert is my favourite fighter from AOF anyway, but.... I don't know, I always see it as the black sheep of SNK's flock, so to speak. And Yuri and Eiji HAD to be in there :)

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by Taiso:
The moving whallops: these are the moves where you step past and toss the opponent to the ground. Added another dimension to 2D fighting at the time.

That was the thing that annoy me most about AOF3; well that and the whole reliance on juggles ala Tekken. The computer would abuse the moving whallops so much I tired of the game rather quickly (RBFF2 has the same problem with the AB counter attacks and constant plane switching.). The fact that Wyler couldn't be thrown also pisses me off; especially when he tosses me at every given moment. The controls weren't all that great IMO either. I rather liked the ultimate K.O.s just because the computer was such a pain most of the time that I would look forward to pulling one of those off; though why can't Kasumi do an ultimate K.O.? I agree with the multiple knockdowns though. Far worse than FF3.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
GREAT REVIEW TAISO

FRAN IS IMPRESSED

IF I KNEW HOW TO VOTE,
ID GIVE YOU A 5 RIGHT NOW !

I HOPE 5 IS THE BEST POSSIBLE VOTE,YEAH?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Thank you, Fran.

*bows*

If you still haven't figured out the rating system, just click beneath the name of the poster where it says 'member rated' and rate away :).

(Edit-fixed typo)

[ May 06, 2001: Message edited by: Taiso ]