Anyone Remember These Games?

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Please..... I can't be the ONLY one! Also, any info, character names, pics via links, etc. appreciated from any of these two games!!!!!

-Martial Champion

Konami's spin on the 2d craze...... I remember a fat russian with a sword that does a torpedo M. Bison like move.
I also remember this clawed freak named Titi. He wore purple items and I thought he was SO cool and that he rivals Blanka and Gen-An

-Shogun Buster Warriors

OK...... now some folks may remember Martial Champion but PLEASE someone have some info on SHOGUN BUSTER WARRIORS!!!!! Everyone I ask seems to forgot about this game but here's what I remember:

A. A character that carries a stick. As a kid I called him Stickman.... go figure.

B. A ninja that threw stars.... a very poor man's Hanzou from the great World Heroes games

C. A pale green like bird that stretches and spits some ball of wax that covers you up. I always thought he was SOOO cool...... finally a mutant freak like Gen-An or Blanka that can stretch as well! It's like throwing Blanka with Dhalsim! I wonder what's this guy's name????

D. The dude that wears yellow clothes and has a staff like item from SAMURAI SHODOWN is in this game! I swear and I kid you not! Either that or his twin! Same moves basically, except I remember this guy has a lightning thunder move.

E. The continue screen has a white cat.

PLEASE someone say they remember this game and that you have more info on it then I do! I can't find jackshit of it on the net but it DOES exist!

See EGM issue number 33 if you don't believe me. SHOGUN BUSTER WARRIORS is old school and definitely a lost and forgotten 2D fighter with some decent characters amist the bad clones.

Thanks in advance.

------------------
"Good Night, Fuuma... Boodayakann!" -Hanzou

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Shogun Warriors was released in 1992 by a company called Kaneko. I see there is an entry for it in the KLOV directory, but no pictures or other info given. it was a typical JAMMA board and is classified as a Shogun Fighting Game. It is also mentioned in the game's domain faq of greatest fighters (although it was not reviewed in that faq)

http://www.gamesdomain.com/faqdir/arcade_fighting_guide.txt.

Sorry that I can't tell you anything else. I remember playing the game a long time ago though,

-Nick

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
mMartial_Champion.jpg

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I remember Martial Champion having an anime look to it, despite the lame photograph marquee (thanks, nruva). The game wasn't as tight as Street Fighter gameplay wise but looked pretty damn cool, and was the first game to have superjumps, ala the VS series, in it, if I recall correctly. The character I played the most was the girl that is depicted on the marquee, but I don't remember her name.

As for Shogun Buster Warriors, I'm drawing a blank. Sorry
smile.gif

------------------
terry96.gif

Taiso
'Okay!'

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
I knew most folks forgot about SHOGUN BUSTER WARRIORS....... *sighs* it was one of the earliest SF II competitors and is truly a lost 2d fighter...

K

kyoisthekof

Both of those fighters were so lame they were a blast!

1otaku

n00b
Martial Champions came out for PC Engine Super CD. It doesn't compare to the arcade game, but it is well worth getting if you're a big fan of it, as it is the only home version.
Take care
smile.gif

------------------
SNK-Sega-Capcom
The blessed trilogy

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Shogun (Buster) Warriors was one of the earliest SF clones to come out, maybe even earlier then 92's World Heroes.
Anyone who remembers that "Cat Countdown" Continue Scene has a truly wicked memory.
Or that Green Mutant freak that could STRETCH and shoot out projectiles from his vile mouth.... that was awesome.

As for Martial Champions, yeah I remember too seeing that game come out for the PC Engine. I always prayed it would come for the SNES.
I remember one day in 1993 going to the local CyberStation arcade place.... they had two new SF clones in.... Konami's Martial Champions and Data East's Fighter's History.

Naturally it was gaming heaven for me!

------------------
"Hanzou, this time you better finish it off!"
-Fuuma

Krusader

Rugal's Thug
I think I have vague memories of that game. The Shogun buster whatever. All those characters are loosely based on Jap myth/fuedal stereotypes. That green mutant thing is called Kappa, which is a turlte goblin in Japanese mythology. I remember there was a geisha in it too.

Of course unless I'm thinking of another game.

Jackal

SouthTown StreetSweeper
There was an Aladdin's Castle near me once that had Martial Champions. I gave it an occasional try using either Rachael or Jin. The 3 button setup was a bit limiting, but MC still was decent. However, it had serious competition from KOF'96 (which was converted over from an NBA JAM).

One character I remember is Bobby, the Heidern lookalike. The girl depicted on the marquee is Rachael.

The guy with the sword is Avu- with the Bison move being called the "Arabian Drill".

All I've seen of Shogun is the EGM article on it.
frown.gif
Man, I missed out.

------------------

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Kappa! Well I'll be damn!!!! "ORA!" Indeed..... I think that's right... a turtle goblin.... how freaking cool is that!?!
Man... they need to revive that game on Neo Geo or Saturn or something. Shit.

Kappa.... reminds me of that Japanese monster movie GAPPA.... it also was a greenish turtle goblin monster destroying Toyko looking for its captured offspring, a la "GORGO."

And yes, it was featured in EGM issue #33 I believe.... the one with the motorcycle man on the front cover (I'm a big fan of the old EGM issues, I loved their coverage and praise of the WORLD HEROES games
wink.gif
)

Hey save that issue!!!! It's rare EGM said once.... so it may cost something! If not, then hey send it on over to me!
biggrin.gif

BTW, in Shogun... there was this yellow-clothed, red-haired freak that looked like Samurai Shodown's Kyoshiro (sp?) Could it be?? I remember he had some electric attack from his fingertips.... (Jackal.... look in that EGM issue to confirm it please... I remember a shot of him was in that issue #33.....)

As for MC..... 3 buttons set up? Hmmmm.... reminds me of Real Bout Fatal Fury Special!!!
smile.gif

Shogun Buster Warriors... Kappa... daaamn!

------------------
"Hanzou, this time you better finish it off!"
-Fuuma

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
Both those fighters owned.

TiTi could rock ANY claw fighter from ANY game including Wolverine and Gen-An
tongue.gif

About the photograph marquee for Martial Champion, Konami did that for most of their early nineties arcade games and some older ones. Remember TMNT, etc.? I've even seen a Super Contra cabinet that had awesome full length pictures down the sides of actual long haired dudes with big guns and stuff
biggrin.gif

Jackal

SouthTown StreetSweeper
Here are some other Konami photo images I've seen:

Crime Fighters (Marquee/Cab)
Vendetta (Marquee)
M.I.A.: Missing In Action (Marquee)

As for the EGM- I looked for my issue #33 and had no luck finding it
frown.gif
, but I remember there definitely was a Kyoshiro-like Kabuki character in it. Another one of the fighters was a Geisya.

------------------

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Hey Jackal.... willing to sell any of your old EGM magazines? I know there are some issues with reviews on World Heroes Perfect and such... that I missed.

Or maybe a trade... I got most of the new issues... just wondering!

Black_Hayato

Cheng's Errand Boy
I've played martial champion. The intro and the music was pretty good at the time. Konami use to make good arcade games. One thing I loved was how big the characters were.

PSY

n00b
MArtial champion feels weird...gameplay-wise i mean, and the graphics isnt exactly super-hot
smile.gif

incidentally does anyone remember these 2ds?

-Power Instinct
-Groove on Fight

peace

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
I remember Power Instinct. I used to dig that game, but later on I realized what a pile of smelly crap it was. It came out for the SNES like 6 months after the arcade's release.

PSY

n00b
hehe yeah, it looked good at first, but its complete shit

groove on fight had some of the best and most spectacular combos u can do with skill (not very easy to perform), but the chars are wildly unbalanced, and some moves are EXTREMELY cheap, its still a fun game though, cool char designs

"Martial Champion" was a pretty decent game for the time. Huge characters, not only featured the first super jump (As Taiso mentioned), but also the first background change during the final technique (The background would turn to anime style speed lines when you snuck in that final hit. MC predated Super Street Fighter 2 by a few months if I recall correctly)

There was a home port for the PC Engine in Japan... but it was REALLY rotten.

That's about all I remember about that game.

------------------
Gaijin Thunder Liger

"You've Got a Lot to Learn Before You Beat Me, Try Again Kiddo... ha ha ha!"- Anyone and Everyone Ryu Faces in the Original Street Fighter

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
I remember the backgrounds in Martial Champion being pretty cool, they reminded me of the backgrounds in Irem's Undercover Cops
smile.gif

Chaos, the Egyptian chick, is the only other Martial Champion character I remember besides, TiTi

Crazy Bee

n00b
Whoa... Martial Champion was a blast!! When ppl crowded around playing SSF2 and MK, I was busy playing Martial Champion (I hated waiting in lines).
biggrin.gif
Jin was so awesome. His DP attack was like him jumping up and throwing punches up in the air which gave it a sort of anime flare(mentioned earlier in this post) to it. Anybody remember Goldar? The blonde guy in purple equipped with nunchakus??
biggrin.gif

I believe MC first introduced the "double screen" where chars super jumped and the camera followed showing more screen than the usual one at ground level. And yah, I remember the cheeZy pictures on the top of the arcade machines that had real ppl on it jus like the TMNT one. Rasa, you saw one of Contra chars with mullets??? Hmmm.... I'd like to see that.

Later.

------------------
Come get Mad OwNeD...

[This message has been edited by Crazy Bee (edited April 25, 2001).]

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Anyone remember TiTi's storyline or his moves? He was such a cool character. To me, he looks like some tin monster with claws dressed in a purple "elevator" suit with a purple hat. LOL.... but he was sooo cool.

Also, the first fighting game to featured that "anime" flash of light or whatever is not MC... but a Genesis fighter in 1992 called "Fighting Masters".