Question: METAL SLUG X AES bought at ebay.... conversion ?? Help !

caren103

King's Dry Cleaner
I bought recently some japanese AES carts at Ebay ( same seller ).

I received the games recently ( LAST BLADE, LAST BLADE 2, METAL SLUG X ).

Today I have inspected them.... regarding to LAST BLADE, and LAST BLADE 2, everyting seems OK.

I have then inspected the METAL SLUG X game.... box OK, insert seems OK too, manual OK ( no bag.... ), cart OK.... wait..... the boards.

One board is green ( as in the other Neo Geo AES games I own ), but the other one... .is GREY ! ... and the contacts show heavy use sings....

I have just written to the seller asking for this, as he sold it as an Original NOT Conversion game, and Near to Mint-Mint.

I have not a lot of experience in the Neo Geo world, as I started to collect games recently, but I'd like to ask.... do you think this game could be a CONVERSION, or is it 'normal' ( one board green, the other one grey ) in this game ?

EDIT: I have checked too another game from another seller: METAL SLUG 3; here the two boards are grey, though at left and right end of the boards you cans see a bit green colour....

Last edited:

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
caren103 said:
One board is green ( as in the other Neo Geo AES games I own ), but the other one... .is GREY ! ... and the contacts show heavy use sings....

Wow, you got a conversion man!

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
Heh, I was a little nervous too when my own Metal Slug X copy had the very same characteristic, but I figured that it wouldn't make much sense to be selling an obviously legit manual with a fake cart. Possible, sure, but rather unlikely. It's good to hear more detail on the point though.

Fears of getting scammed make collecting Neo carts feel a lot like antique collecting sometimes. Oh wait...come to think of it...it IS antique collecting! :smirk:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I have never seen any conversion of Slug X and I think that you'll never find any conversion of this game because it's impossible to make this conversion without using the special PCB that can be found inside a legit Slug X AES cart only. In other words, you need an original Slug X AES sac cart to make a Slug X conversion, heh.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
24-bit said:
:up: is this true?:spock:

I think that is true for Metal Slug 3, I don't know if it holds for X. Definately it's not true for 1 and 2 as there's plenty f conversions of those two games.

caren103

King's Dry Cleaner
I have found this photos in this site, regarding Metal Slug X and 3:

- Metal Slug X:

http://www.neo-geo.com/snk/carts/jap/msx.jpg

- Metal Slug 3:

http://www.neo-geo.com/snk/carts/jap/metalslug3.jpg

In the Metal Slug X photos, there are one grey board and other green board.

In the Metal Slug 3 photos, I can not appreciate it very well, but it seems that the two boards are grey.... aren't they?

Let's see if we can agree if my carts are legitimate ones, or I've been ripped off.

I am vey worried about all this, as it's a lot of money wasted in these two carts.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Caren, el Metal Slug 3 es IMPOSIBLE que sea una conversion, no te preocupes. Es un juego que simplemente no se puede convertir.

caren103

King's Dry Cleaner
Amano Jacu said:
Caren, el Metal Slug 3 es IMPOSIBLE que sea una conversion, no te preocupes. Es un juego que simplemente no se puede convertir.

Thanks/gràcies/gracias !!!

I am more relieved now.. for both games.

Pep, ets un catxondo hehe ! ( Ho dic amb carinyo :-) ).

crazycanuck

Crossed Swords Squire

No problem with that... you do have the real deal !!!

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Te jodieron las conversiones :tickled:

bulletnyourass

noble trader
The only non legit MSX Carts I have ever seen are the NGF ones. The carts are original but the Inserts/ Manuals have been freaked. I do remember someone on Ebay listing an MSX Conversion years ago during the time I was looking for a copy.

Phillip

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Bulletnyourass said:
The only non legit MSX Carts I have ever seen are the NGF ones. The carts are original but the Inserts/ Manuals have been freaked. I do remember someone on Ebay listing an MSX Conversion years ago during the time I was looking for a copy.

Phillip

About the Slug X conversion that you saw on ebay, do you remember if the seller listed it as a perfect working conversion ? That's really weird, I'm sure that Jeff Kurtz or cgame can confirm that it is impossible to make a conversion of Slug X without using the special AES PCB :conf:

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
If Metal Slug X was a viable conversion, it would have been done more often.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
Coryoon said:
I have never seen any conversion of Slug X and I think that you'll never find any conversion of this game because it's impossible to make this conversion without using the special PCB that can be found inside a legit Slug X AES cart only. In other words, you need an original Slug X AES sac cart to make a Slug X conversion, heh.

This is correct. MSX used a special boardset that was never used again. You can only make an MSX using an MSX, hence no conversions of it.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
I've never done one... I tried several things, but never got it going 100%.

I was told that there are two versions of Kof 98 AES, one which shared the same layout as MSX, but I have never came across this board. This info was from an unreliable source, so I'm doubting this. I'm thinking this was based on the assumption that since Kof 98 MVS has both versions that Kof 98 AES does too.

I tried to patch the program roms of MSX to be used on normal boards, which got it past some protection checks, but the banking(?) never worked and the game crashed. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the banking (Razoola?) could offer a patched P1 that would work on real hardware (worked in MAME)...

Jeff

Coryoon said:
About the Slug X conversion that you saw on ebay, do you remember if the seller listed it as a perfect working conversion ? That's really weird, I'm sure that Jeff Kurtz or cgame can confirm that it is impossible to make a conversion of Slug X without using the special AES PCB :conf:

bulletnyourass

noble trader
Coryoon said:

I'm pretty sure it as listed as working. The insert looked totally different than the original SNK one. It also didnt look like NGFs insert. Cart sticker looked like the original. There was no manual included. However the cartridge was listed as being a conversion and he was asking a decent amount of money for it. This was a couple of years ago when I was looking for a copy for myself. I do remember the seller mentioning that MSX conversions were very hard to come by.

Phillip