Weird problem with cab.... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Hey folks,

I got a question for you guys out there. I went to turn on my cab today and the marquee powers on, as does the monitor, but I am not getting anything displayed on the board. So far ive tried it with two 1 slots and a hyper 64 and non of them will display anything on the monitor. I havent used the cab in about a week. Did something short out? About a week ago my roomate tripped a circuit breaker..do you think this has anything to do with it?

Any info you guys can give me would be great

-DZ

ShmengeTravel

Mature's Make-up Artist
Check the fuses. I don't know if they're similar (I imagine they are to a degree), but I know for a fact that with the Virtua Fighter cabs, there's a small PSU on the inside that when turned off, the monitor, marquee, and speakers come on, but the game board itself, wont. If something blew your circuit breaker, check the fuses in/near the power supply and make sure one didn't go.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I can find just one fuse..and i looks ok to me. THe speakers do not come on either...just the marquee and monitor. The speakers are wired directly from the hyper I had in there....not the jamma itself.

This is an old midway cab...used to be a high impact football if that helps

-gordon

cgbartek

Crazed MVS Addict
It could be a number of things going on.

Check your fuses and measure the +5 to make sure it's not much over or under. I had a Frogger do the same thing a month ago, it turned out to be a blown fuse.

Hope that helps,
Chris

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I did a little looking around in the cab and it seems to have two power supplies...the old one that came with the cab..it seems to power the monitor and marquee...and a newer looking one that seems to power just the jamma. Do you think the power supply just up and shit the bed like that??

-gordon

ShmengeTravel

Mature's Make-up Artist
It can happen unfortunately. The first cab I ever bought had that problem, I went to pick it up from the seller and all he did was wheel it out of his garage and the PSU was DOA, thankfully he replaced it for me. I bought a spare just incase. My suggestion, if the voltages all seem fine and you still can't get it to work, see if you have another PSU and try using that one.

cgbartek

Crazed MVS Addict
I had an old Midway cab once with both a linear supply and a switcher. The AC was flowing through the linear before it got to the switcher, so when the linear finally got weak, the switcher started acting up, and I got lights but no game. You might as well hook everything up to one switcher and bypass the other one, just make sure the isolation transformer stays wired in. Check your voltages, I bet the PSU is low.

Chris

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Some PSUs have fuses in them..Might a blown the fuse in it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm gonna be taking some pics of this tomorrow, and see if you can recognize the PSU, I have a spare PSU that we took out of a cab/console project which is identical to the one with the problem, so tomorrow we'll try that and see.

The truth is that I was pluging another cab in with a faulty power cable and it tripped the breakers, a few days passed and we turned on the hyper for some gaming and nothing happened, later I noticed that this cab power cable was raped out of the ground prong, could this have something to do with it?

Thanks for all the help.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
i swiched out the power supply and made sure the 5 volt was alright. Still getting the same result tho....

here is pic of the inside....were do I go next.

dsc00635yp7.jpg

please help!!!!:crying:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I'm stumped..

Wow!!.I'm sorry..I've never seen anything like that before..

All I can say is go over ever wire for breaks and burns,..continuity test the wires..

Check a manual and make sure everything is wire up correctly.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Hey DZ, didja get it fixed yet?

For those watching the thread - the cab is a Rampage cabinet and the color scheme for the wiring is really f***ed up.

We were in the chat room last night and I sent him a .pdf copy of the Rampage manual so he could troubleshoot the wiring.

RJ

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
channelmaniac said:
Hey DZ, didja get it fixed yet?

For those watching the thread - the cab is a Rampage cabinet and the color scheme for the wiring is really f***ed up.

We were in the chat room last night and I sent him a .pdf copy of the Rampage manual so he could troubleshoot the wiring.

RJ

That manual was a ton of help! Thanks, so you know I'll be doing the "McGuivering" on this fiasco, I'm pretty sure I caused it too, so my ass is on the line. lol
Here's what I think we're going to end up doing.

The 120v coming from the main power cord is going to the the power switch, then the ground is going to the "New" Power supply, then the 120v coming out of the switch is going on a bracket where the Monitor, Marquee and Power supply will be feeding from, this will avoid dealing with the behemot old power supply, but we'll keep the Isolation Transformer intact for it's a necesity. I think the "New" Power supply has everything else taken care of, you know 5v 12v and so on.

That's the plan, we'll see how things go, but I'm confident it's going to work, it can't be that difficult, worst case scenario we buy a NEO Power Supply, I mean is running a Hyper 64 so a Neo power supply will work beautiful, but we'll leave that on the back burner.