Is it fair to have rules here?

Shuuchan

Crossed Swords Squire
I ALREADY POSTED THIS BUT I DECIDED TO DO IT AGAIN BECAUSE IT WAS CORRUPTED.

DO YOU THINK ITS FAIR TO HAVE THIS AS AN OROCHI FORUM WITH THEIR POSTING RULES EVEN THOUGH IT IS AN ESTABLISHED NEO-GEO.COM FORUM?

BTW: I'M TYPING IN CAPS MERELY TO BREAK THE RULES, SORTA LIKE WEARING A HAT IN SCHOOL WHEN YOUR NOT ALLOWED TOO. I'M NOT YELLING THO K?

EDIT: Yeah FCL I know the rules aren't horrid or opressive but its the principle of the thing. Its like someone telling you not too drink um a particular soda at your favorite hangout(I know its sound ridiculous)

You dont reallly need to drink that soda but it bothers you that you cant.

[This message has been edited by Shuuchan (edited April 16, 2001).]

Yes, is *FAIR*!!!

------------------
Hmmm!!! Meat!!!
Don't waste my time with your weak skills, scrub!!!

Fat Cat Lim

Geese's Thug
What's wrong with the rules? No spam, no offtopic posts...isn't that the norm of a forum? As for signatures with huge pictures, would you like to see one sentence messages that take up 90% of their posts?

As for the Capslock thing, you're not breaking a rule.

Fat Cat Lim

------------------
Mysterious. Debonair. Criminally Insane.

Fat Cat Lim

Geese's Thug
ShuuChan: No, this is different. The posting rules are for the consideration of other posters, who want a serious/non-serious relevant posts to their topic, without having to scrummage around the junk.

Pictures take up space. Spam takes up space. As a poster, I certainly do not want to have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page because some idiot poster posted a totally irrelevant point about Ricky Martin and how gay his songs are or a 800X1200 signature picture when just to read another reply to my topic.

Now, once in awhile, a little offtopic message in the topic is tolerated. But to continue it excessively is wasting other people's bandwidth and time.

In other words: you can continue to drink your soda, as long as it doesn't disturb other people's drinking.

Fat Cat Lim

------------------
Mysterious. Debonair. Criminally Insane.

[This message has been edited by Fat Cat Lim (edited April 16, 2001).]

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
I'M TYPING IN CAPS MERELY TO BREAK THE RULES, SORTA LIKE WEARING A HAT IN SCHOOL WHEN YOUR NOT ALLOWED TOO.

rolleyes.gif

Gunsmith

New Challenger
If I was an oppressive dictator mad Rugal type, I would have banned you by now.

You and a few others are just stirring the pot.

*shrugs shoulders*

If you don't get some NG posters to reply to this thread (and I mean intelligently) I will delete this thread. Shawn told me this forum wasn't so busy anyhoo.

You don't own this forum, you don't clean up the mess. You don't pay the bill that it brings.

Stop causing trouble. You and a few others have the ability to impress people into your way of thinking. Don't abuse it.

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
Shuuchan, calm down. Do you see the rules that are posted as being a challenge to follow?

If so, state that, otherwise, stop trying to keep the kicking of a dead horse going.

Besides, this is the gaming forum, if you wish to whine about the posted rules in the gaming forum, or any of the other 4 forums, the proper place is the Suggestions forum, not here.

Shuuchan

Crossed Swords Squire
*sigh* oh well.

I will not post in the Gaming Forum again in protest of the ridiculousness of this, if you wanna go ahead and delete it Gunsmith, except we hardly ever delted posts back in the day. Once in a blue moon.

Mous master Im not trying to stir up trouble or beat a dead horse I reposted this because the original one was corrupted. and yeah I thought about putting it in the suggestions forum but the original was here.

I just dont understand why you guys feel the need of having those rules anyway, we pretty mcuh do the same thing in the other forums out of common sense, and curtosy. I remember someone having a sig to big and a mod or shawn delted it(cant rememebr who) and if we make flames there moved to the war room. I guess some people need to be told how to do every little thing tho. C y'all

EDIT: Im editing because Im not gonna post in this forum no more, Id like to point out, where in this post did I say anything about gunsmith?

[This message has been edited by Shuuchan (edited April 16, 2001).]

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
nevermind...

[This message has been edited by Fran (edited April 16, 2001).]

A_Sombra

New Challenger
I think you're misinterpreting, Fran. I think what Gunsmith meant was that if he were all the Shuuchan was implying he was, Shuuchan would be out on his ass already. That he isn't means that there is some leeway given to the rules.

Shuuchan, lay off for a minute. Personally, I think the rules make for a better forum. Have you been watching the war room lately. The point of the rules is to keep that sort of shit out of here. Betcha if someone started spamming like that in the old days, some hard-ass moderation would have gone down too.

So you're not gonna post here anymore? Woooooow!!! Big deal!!!

------------------
Hmmm!!! Meat!!!
Don't waste my time with your weak skills, scrub!!!

Eclipse

Crossed Swords Squire
I think rules are a good thing, and the ones here are more than fair. Really, reasonable rules do make for a better forum, and regardless of how reasonable you think the rules are, it's well with in the moderators' rights to post any rules they see fit.

I also think it's a good thing when the mods have a forum set up for you to question the rules. If you have an issue with the rules, post your objections in a well-thought out, respectful manner. I guarantee you that you are more likely to get what you want.

The reason why I bring this up is that I run an NGPC board, called Neo Geo Pocket Central. Although the board is pretty much dead now, back in the day, I found that having a rules list helped keep posts on-topic, more intelligent, and more fun for most of the users. Most people agreed that the rules were good, and when I moved or deleted a post, people appreciated having a set reason.

A few people decided that they didn't like the rules though, and thought it would be a good idea to scream at me and just generally act like a brat instead of posting intelligent, respectul objections to the rules. When put on the defensive, I wasn't really too willing to listen to what they had to say, even if there were some legitimate objections mixed in with all the whining. Isn't that how you'd feel too?

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited April 17, 2001).]

W

Whip's Disciple

Finally, someone who know that we aren't going to mindlessly delete stuff.

Great input from someone with experience.

Gunsmith

New Challenger
The experience speaks for itself. Thanks for your comment, Eclipse.

Ah, well it's all wasted on Shuuchan eh...

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Nothing is wasted. I used to post here but now all relavent posts will be moved to the 16-bit forum. I tryed peace (look at my 400+ reply topic for a roll call) but all that has come out of it is insults directed at my friends! Rules don't need to be set unless you are insacure about the people who you plan on posting in these forums. There my "intelegent" opoinion has been posted, and I will put my damn (they say it on tv so that should be ok here ?right?) sig because I fu**ing typed enough letters to [EARN] that right!

------------------
--Shaper MC
goods-adult5.jpg

--WHAT NEO GEO'S ALL ABOUT--
--BUY MVS ONLY--

TKHM

n00b
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shapermc:
Nothing is wasted. I used to post here but now all relavent posts will be moved to the 16-bit forum. I tryed peace (look at my 400+ reply topic for a roll call) but all that has come out of it is insults directed at my friends! Rules don't need to be set unless you are insacure about the people who you plan on posting in these forums. There my "intelegent" opoinion has been posted, and I will put my damn (they say it on tv so that should be ok here ?right?) sig because I fu**ing typed enough letters to [EARN] that right!

Following your logic, we don't need laws in this country, because having them means not having 'faith' for our neighbors. Chaos in the forums? Or do you prefer having your posts deleted without any apparent reason, THEN complain about the injustice of it all and how the mods are abusing their power because they are deleting posts without reason? Just my opinions, please don't get offended.

------------------
-TKHM

[This message has been edited by TKHM (edited April 18, 2001).]

I

ImMature

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TKHM:
Following your logic, we don't need laws in this country, because having them means not having 'faith' for our neighbors. Anarchy in the forums?

Not Anarchy, what you mean is Chaos instead. Anarchy != Chaos, Anarchy is the belief in that any Society can properly work without the need of being subject to laws or hierarchies of any kind

If because of lamers that Anarchy would (probably) never work just like it's because of lamers why we do have to enforce rules on these forums

...Did I mention that Franco won the war because of lamers too?
biggrin.gif

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'll chip in with .02 here...

I don't like the idea of existing forums being changed due to the merge. This forum was fine before and everyone seemed happy. I understand what the ON guys and gals are saying about it cluttering up the place and that it could be a pain for those with slower load times, but so what? Before the ON people came along, nobody complained about it.

HOWEVER.....

The forum is now being regulated by rules. That is the straight up truth. As long as that's the case we should all try to work together to keep the community happy, healthy and harmonious.

Shawn and Gunsmith have come to an agreement on how the site's going to be managed for the time being. Part of that agreement is the inclusion of rules to some forums so that the ON way of life is preserved for those that journeyed from 'there to here'. The chips have fallen and that's just the way it is. All of the fighting and all of the politicking have done nothing to change what's happening.

And it won't.

Ever.

Because it doesn't have to.

Why?

Because this web site, in the end, is about video games and the community it creates amongst its enthusiasts. This isn't about the 'NG' or 'ON' way of life - misplaced idealism; this is a VIDEO GAME web site, not Amnesty International - , or whose feelings get hurt - you stepped into the yard, now it's time to straight up ball.

Now, before this gets misunderstood, I have all the respect in the world for how long time NG members like Fran, DEVIL_GUI, LWK and others feel about what's going on here. They have an opinion and they have the right to voice it, regardless of how others feel. I've kind of waffled on their thoughts during the course of all this(I think they're right on some things, and wrong on others), but that's neither here nor there. They have voices, and I'll defend their right to be heard.

I also have respect for the ON people because they're not simply bending over and taking it. They have as much right to be here as anyone else. There is no standard defining who is allowed to join and post messages here.

But Neo-geo.com isn't about who gets to be an administrator or a moderator or forum rules or any of the other things that seem to be the points of contention right now. It's about the games.

SIDE NOTE: the one administrator point I'll make is this - If Gunsmith is abusing his administrator's rights in any way, shape or form, he's being a 'right wanker'. If he's not, then he's fine in my book and he gets a big 'Two Thumbs Up' from Taiso and I'll see him...at the movies
smile.gif

And you better document that because it's one of the FEW times you'll see me single anyone out around here.

But I'm not intimidated by the changes one bit. So you've got gray stars next to your name. So what?

*twirls finger in air and rolls eyes*

Hell, I'll spar with ANYBODY on this web site, regardless of who they are or what color their dumb little stars are. As long as it's a debate or argument grounded in the progression of thoughts and ideas and there is receptive communication between both parties, why wouldn't I? That's what forums are all about. What I can't stand is when it breaks down to profanity, name calling, passive and/or agressive gay bashing, rudness towards women and meaningless drivel talking about 'suck on deez nutz' or 'I'll treat you like my prison bitch' or whatever nonsense has been posted around these parts of late. How does such schoolyard bullyspeak solve anything? But before anybody gets mad about me being negative about this mode of communication, please keep reading.

I respect the rights of others to say these things, but not in the middle of a thread where say, the top down system of Garou is being debated, for example. The War Room is for these kinds of battles, and that's where all non video game issues should be taken.

There is a time and a place for these disputes to be had and for these battles to be fought, but I don't feel they belong in a forum that has been given to those who choose to run it differently from what the incensed are used to. The big players in this drama have made the decisions, and we bit players simply have to suck it up and perform our roles, whatever they may be.

Would I like for my animated Hanzo gif to adorn each and every one of my posts? Hell yes. I didn't make it part of my sig just to take up bandwidth. Well okay, maybe I did, but it's a cool sig nonetheless.

But whether or not it's there isn't the issue. The issue is what's in the body of the text I type. Everything else is optional.

And that's all I got to say about that, as the pre-pussified Texas Rattlesnake might say
smile.gif

And, because the body of my post is a LITTLE bigger than my sig...

------------------
hanzo.gif

Taiso
'Because of my bloody life, it was no accident that I was involved in the troubles...'

TKHM

n00b
Originally posted by ImMature:
Not Anarchy, what you mean is Chaos instead. Anarchy != Chaos, Anarchy is the belief in that any Society can properly work without the need of being subject to laws or hierarchies of any kind

Oops, wrong word choice
smile.gif
, . let me correct it...
War? What war did Franco win? I don't go to the war room much, if I go there at all.

War room = Flames = Chaos != Anarchy =)
(blink) I think I've just gone off topic...

------------------
I am a lurker, don't mind me
-TKHM

I

ImMature

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TKHM:

War? What war did Franco win? I don't go to the war room much, if I go there at all.

Heh. Sorry my bad, national reference. I meant Spain's civil war, it was that fascist motherfucker Franco and the military trying to impose national-catholicism vs the People of Spain fighting for a democratic republic (and some of 'em for the Anarchist revolution). "Our" side lost, so stoopid half-assed fascism reigned supreme in Spain for about 40 years (1939-1975). A pity indeed...

TKHM

n00b
Oh..
redface.gif

I've just revealed how weak my history knowledge is. I have a vague memory of Spain having a civil war, but I forgot the guy's name!

This is embarrassing.
smile.gif

------------------
I am a lurker, don't mind me
-TKHM

I

ImMature

Nope dude, it's actually my fault. All of us Spaniards seem to be somewhat obssesed with all that Civil War stuff...specially me since my Grampa's brother happened to fight for the Anarchist revolution there then got exiled at the end of the war and fought with 'em RAF corps against Hitler. He's probably the only one person in my family I respect I can grant you that, the other ones being a total piece of crap IMO!
biggrin.gif