Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol. 2 Is OUT! Impressions thread.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
Only had a chance to play a little bit last night, but I think I got enough play time in to see that Garoudensetsu Battle Archives 2 is another excellent compilation. You get Real Bout, Real Bout Special, and Real Bout 2. These games are all emulated versions of the Neo-Geo MVS/Arcade versions, so there's no extra modes included, although the option screens are available, so things like difficulty and language (yes, English is there) settings are present.

The good news is that a practice mode has been ADDED; it's separated from the other games on the main menu, and lets you choose which game you want to practice in after selecting it. An on-screen move list has also been added (only in Japanese) when you pause the game, which is another welcome addition. Color edit (which I will actually use for once) and arranged music (Same as Neo CD) are of course present too.

Sound seemed to be spot-on, as are the visuals, although the game looked quite pixellated on my HDTV in both normal and soft graphic schemes. I didn't try this on my PS3 yet, and I have a feeling that might help a bit. The game's initial load (to get to the title screen) is a little long, but once you get going, each game only has to load for a second or two (either for the character select screen or first match), and then everything is instantaneous.

I'll play a lot more later and see about figuring out how to get the bonus characters playable today; I thought I read somewhere that the EX characters in RBS and Alfred in RB2 are supposed to be easy to select now, but the code for Alfred (from playing RB2 on a modded Neo AES) didn't work.

I'm absolutely loving that I can finally play the Neo-Geo Real Bout games with the awesome music from the Neo CD versions, all with almost no load times and no cut animations. RBS Dominated Mind would have made this a perfect collection, but I wasn't expecting it to be included in the first place.

Cain Highwind

Kula's Candy
Thanks a bunch for the impressions! After hastily ordering the LB 2 pack I've been hesitant about ordering any more until I heard the impressions.

Just out of curiousity, is the Blue Mary's Blues video there in RBS? Not a deal breaker or anything, but would be nice to see.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
Cain Highwind said:
Thanks a bunch for the impressions! After hastily ordering the LB 2 pack I've been hesitant about ordering any more until I heard the impressions.

Yeah, this game, the first Battle Archives, Garou MOTW, and Art Of Fighting collection are all great ports and are worth getting. KOF Orochi is good, but has some sound issues (muffled voices and sfx). Really it's only Last Blade that got a shitty port, which is quite unfortunate.

Just out of curiousity, is the Blue Mary's Blues video there in RBS? Not a deal breaker or anything, but would be nice to see.

I doubt it, as these collections are always light on anything extra, but I can definitely check for you. The original mode from the Neo CD version, with the extra NPC "arcade players" isn't there either.

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
hmm, doesnt matter. its still a great collection to own.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
beelzebubble is going be glued to his tv for weeks. Me too, Real Bout series rules.

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
Yeah, I just got this from NSS tonight and I must say I am impressed so far. I was worried about this collection because the Sam Sho 5 for PS2 was less than stellar and the sprites on this game are bigger than KoF as well, but the loads are not any worse than the AES since there is that VS screen that pops up when you face a new char. I have then both running on my Sony Wega (standard def) gaming tv and they look very close. The only difference I see is the size of the image since I have to use the enlarged screen image on the PS2 version otherwise I have about 1/4" of black bars on either side of my screen. If only LB 2 had received this sort of polish.

The above only comments on RB2 however. I have never owned RB or Special on AES or MVS so I can't really say about them.

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
so is alfred available on rb2? he wasnt selectable on the neo cd version of the game. that sucked.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
MUSOLINI said:
so is alfred available on rb2? he wasnt selectable on the neo cd version of the game. that sucked.

Yes, he is fully playable, just like on a modded Neo.

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
Lyte Edge said:
Yes, he is fully playable, just like on a modded Neo.

What about Geese and the EX characters in RBS? Are they easier to unlock?

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
Blue Mary's Blues are not in the game, as expected.

Mr.Nemoperson said:
What about Geese and the EX characters in RBS? Are they easier to unlock?

Nope. :( You still have to do the code. Maybe when you do it once and beat the game it saves them, but I doubt it.

I've been playing the crap out this collection since thursday...I love these games, and I also love that with Volume 2, ALL of the Fatal Fury games are now playable on one single platform (PS2/PS3), with the games spanning the PS1 and PS2.

Cain Highwind

Kula's Candy
Lyte Edge said:
Blue Mary's Blues are not in the game, as expected.

Bummer. No big deal though, my copy's shipped and I look forward to playing some RBS! WOO!

Thanks for checking though ^_^

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
I forgot to mention the Blue Mary topless ring-out animation in RBFF...it seems to have been REMOVED. I did only try this while playing with the language set to English; is this only in Japanese mode? If not, it's gone.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
RBS's atmosphere is so cool. This is awesome, if I didn't have a headache I'd play it some more tonight, but I gotta watch a movie for school:crying:.

Darkneo

Morden's Lackey
Getting my copy from play-asia tomorrow. THx for the Impression Lyte Edge :)
Its good to know that it is gonna be good game:drool_2:

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
SnairDogg said:
RBS's atmosphere is so cool. This is awesome, if I didn't have a headache I'd play it some more tonight, but I gotta watch a movie for school:crying:.

Yeah RBS is pretty rad. I love the intros for each stage and all the little extras they put in it. I wish SNKP would do more stuff like that in their newer games:(
It is too bad that the endings are really sucky though. But it is no big loss.

Darkneo

Morden's Lackey
I just got my copy of the Game today. I have been playing it :) not a bad port for the PS2. :cool:

steeltekki

n00b
spine

whats with the spine being BLUE and not red like all the others? its bad enough the last volume had the new rating on the spine like all new games but then they had to go and switch the spine and logo color? oi. its not even like the two fatal fury games are the same color, JUST this one. woulda been nice to see the same color all the way across.

oi vey

Hide

Banned
Very very sweet port.

Love it.

Was an off day and I spent bout an hour playing around with it on a Hori RAP.

Practice mode was a nice touch!

Feels just like the real thing. (i used to own a US AES RB2. now i've just the MVS version)

It's a steal on the PS2. 3 Real Bouts + Arranged Soundtrack on ONE OPTICAL DISC.

Get through the initial short loading (short) and after that, virtually no loading at all.

Very pleased with my copy. Made me went back to gamefaqs.com and dug out those good old character faqs.

:drool:

Nevertheless, all recent collections has been terrific so far.

MOTW.
AOF 1, 2 3.
FF 1, 2, Special.
KOF 95, 96, 97.
The Slugs.

etc etc except Last Blade Collection. (don't know wht the hell happened. didn't feel 'true')

I really think that I can place my AES and MVS back in the closet just for remembrance.

Oh! Get yourself a Neo-Geo Stick 2 for the PS2, if you haven't. I personally did not really like the Neo-Geo Stick 3. For the uninitiated, the Neo Stick 3 was bundled with KOF Orochi Collection and also released concurrently with MOTW PS2 bearing a red/white color scheme. I for one preferred the initial release.

derboo

Crazed MVS Addict
No, it's on the first Fatal Fury Collection. He just forgot it.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
This real bout collection has impressed me. Really nice. Best title of these series so far.

Cain Highwind

Kula's Candy
Lyte Edge said:
Nope. :( You still have to do the code. Maybe when you do it once and beat the game it saves them, but I doubt it.

I just wanted to bump this with something I discovered.

I just beat Nightmare Geese in RBS and it seems like he becomes PERMANTELY unlocked along with the EX Characters. Just make sure you have Auto Save selected in the options and when you exit the game (Press Select > Restart > Title Select) it'll save and from then on out you don't have to put in that code everytime.

Also, just thought in case you didn't see my other topic, it seems like all you have to do to get to Nightmare Geese is simply not lose a round.