Wait a sec.... Big Bear... Raiden... the heck?

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Ok, I know for starters those two big boys are DIFFERENT.
Raiden was in the original FF and BB took over in FF2.

I know Raiden has this spitting attack while BB I think has no long range attacks.

Obviously they look to a degree quite similar.... is there a connection between the two? Why did SNK keep Raiden but instead decided to create Big Bear?

I like both equally and I'm disappointed none of them is in Real Bout Special.

Grrrrrrr... oh well, any info/speculation on those big brawlers is welcomed!
smile.gif

------------------
"Good Night, Fuuma... Boodayakann!" -Hanzou

B

Bobak!

Raiden is Big Bear.

When he becomes a "good guy" in Fatal Fury 2, he rids himself of the mask.

Taking a quote from his profile in the FF2 instructions:

"Known before as the bear-wrestling roustabout and bodyguard, Raiden, he has taken of the mask and returned as an independent wrestler."

Also, Big Bear can also has a spitting attack: in his desperation attack he breaths fire.

------------------
Bobak!
chen.jpg

You can also see me in the classic SNK game, "Guerrilla War" (known in Japan as "Guevara")

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
OOOOOOHHHHHHHH thanks for clearing that up! Hehe.... I guess I didn't know anything about BB or Raiden....

Still wish they're in RBS!

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
If you want all you're going to get of the one/two, Raiden appears in Fatal Fury, Fatal Fury Wild Ambition and Capcom vs SNK, Big Bear can be found in Fatal Fury 2 and Fatal Fury Special. Hopefully he'll make the cut in CvS 2.

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
I thought it was cool how he has the Raiden costume from Wild Ambition but the facial hair of Big Bear during his Capcom vs. SNK appearance.
biggrin.gif

Has anyone noticed how Raiden's turning from heal to face and the such sorta parallels John Tenta's professional wrestling career (as well as his Earthquake costume)?

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
LMAO Rasa!!! Hey, look for the Earthquake, John Tenta.... at WRESTLEMANIA!
Thanx for the info Neo BM... you're always a big help!

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
I heard about that! Jeez, how weird was it seeing Vince McMahon introducing Nitro though?

Anyways, like I was saying, John Tenta went to compete in Japanese wrestling leagues and got very big there, I THINK this was around the time Fatal Fury 1 was being made
biggrin.gif

The best part is Raiden's mask...

Check out this picture of The Giant Machine (a short lived André the Giant gimmick):
machines0.jpg

Scary eh? Raiden is a hybrid of The Machine's cowl and John Tenta's stomach! LOL!

[This message has been edited by Neo Rasa (edited March 27, 2001).]

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Whoops. See below.

[This message has been edited by Neo Bomber Man (edited March 27, 2001).]

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
To follow up on that, many years ago John Tenta, as appears to be his name, was a sumo wrestler in Japan; I believe he had a perfect 48-0 record, though I don't know precisely when nor for how long he was over there. Yet another famous Canadian...
rolleyes.gif

Oh and André the Giant was already in a video game by that point: Final Fight, as Andore. (look at the face even, it's identical to the man's)

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
You're absolutely right about Andore and Tenta's sumo career. I think he's actually the only WWF wrestler who was also a fully trained, certified, etc. sumo wrestler. You know they even ripped off André completely and used his sprite as the final boss in the very first WCW game on the NES. All they did was put a blue splotch on the head so it looked like he had a mask on. It's like the game was programmed by Dion Dakis or something
rolleyes.gif

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Oh yeah and let's not forget the MOST blatant carbon copy...

World Heroes' Muscle Power and "The Immortal" Hulk Hogan!!!!
wink.gif

NUMBAH WAHN!

------------------

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
NUMBAH WAHN!!!!!!

Let's not forget Animal of the Road Warriors/Legion of Doom as a Final Fight boss or as one of the arm-wrestling opponent in Fatal Fury, the other of which reminds me of a watered down Hulk Hogan!

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
Okay, I'm about to stop pulling punches and unleash the big one...

Tecmo still had the WWF license while making the Ninja Gaiden/Shadow Warriors arcade game.

The boss of the second and fifth levels of the game ARE the Road Warriors. It's not lookalikes or ripoffs, it's THEM, it plays their theme music and everything.

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Hmmmm.... what was the name of that one 5 player arcade beat them up in the early 90s..... it was called Ragnagade I think and one of the characters also looked very much like Hulk Hogan..... he was one of the usable 5 characters.

I loved that game.... nothing like beating up masked, obese men in supermarkets!!

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
Hmm, I forget the name, but I do believe it was made by Konami on the same core board/engine as Crime Fighters and X-Men.

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
Yup... and don't forget other classics in that genre at that time era too...

Turtles and Simpsons!

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
Yeah!

Anyways I'm pretty sure the game you're thinking of was a sequal/followup to Crime Fighters.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
All this talk about me??? I gotta start coming to this section more often
smile.gif

Hey,the Great Muta is in 3 Count Bout!
You talk about you were disappointed that I did'nt appear in the 'REAL BOUT' games...I was really upset -BUT- Blue Mary picked up the slack.
bigbear.gif

"Yes.I am a former employee of Geese Howard but after his defeat to Terry the checks stopped >:/"
-BB

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
Real Bout games own, I DO wish Raiden/Big Bear or some kind of big guy grappler made it. I mean Geese Howard's my favorite SNK character EVER and Blue Mary rocked, but there was no 'big guy' grappler
frown.gif

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
.... Yup and Franco Bash does not count! Grrrrr...

By the way in RBS... how come there is Punch, Kick, and Special attack commands? Where's the weak punch, strong punch, weak kick, strong kick command?

Oh and Franco Bash does not count!
Sorry, I had to say that again.
biggrin.gif

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The 'REAL BOUT' buttons are a thing you will get used to... believe me,it was for the better.
Right now I am into RB2 and enjoying it to the fullest because I am giving the games more of a chance now that releases are far and few between.
I've owned the AES and MVS of RB2 on several occassions and never really gave the game a really good gettin' used to and that's what I find you have to do.
Franco Bash is okay...but IMO his design is all wrong!! I would have rather seen the guy from Fatal Fury One retun...his name escapes me..J MAX?? I'm sure his new design would have been great!! I don't know there would have been a few characters I would like to have seen changed or removed.
Master Tung is Awsome in RB2!
What was the need for two boxers in RB2?
This is where Big Bear should have returned or some other Big Guy along with that 'CUTIE'
,Li Xiang Fei
I feel a 'NEO RE-BIRTH' for the FUTURE!
bigbear.gif

-BB

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
Yeah, Fatal Fury is my favorite series of fighters and I'm just giving RBS a chance recently ^_^;;;.

Real Bout 1 is still my favorite fighter of all time though
biggrin.gif

Franco's design is fine, but his character/story is a MESS, I mean he's an Italian kickboxer/Savaté fighter, what's he doing in Brazil? Why does he work in the Southtown Airplane Factory?

The FF1 boxer was Michael Max. Interestingly enough they left in an older picture in the enemy select screen, so for his selection there's a small picture of a while guy Irish looking guy with a mullet instead of the finished M. Max character! WTF?!

I played RB2 a lot, and my only gripe with it was that it lacked personality compared to the previous games. I still can't escape the feeling that the game was rushed out just so they could test out the Giga Power chip.

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
I guess I will have to get use to the RBS buttons and I'll take your word for it that it's "for the best." Although right now I can't see why, more buttons more varied gameplay right? Right??

Also.... I'm no big World Heroes fan and all... and you can call me a monkey's uncle... but isn't J. Max one of the World Heroes??.......
biggrin.gif

------------------

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
That's Johnny Maximum you're thinking of, one of the six new heroes from World Heroes 2, who let's out a very intentional curse upon losing in WH2Jet.