SS4

ravenmgs

Armored Scrum Object
Being a fan of the series I recently purchased SS4, I skipped SS3, and I was suprized at what I found. The character "calss" deal and "bust" and "slash". And the stupidity of the AI. In SS2 it took me ALOTT of continues ECT...to get to the end, however in SS4 the pashents and waiting doesn't play a factor at all to me. Jubi is my favroite chracter, but it seems even on setting 8 I can just do his quick slash over and over and win. Why is the AI so stupid? Did any one else have the feeling that SS2 is better than 4? Tell me what you think. sorry for spelling in a rush

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
I never played SS4 but I really want to find a copy... most people like SS2 the best anyways.

ravenmgs

Armored Scrum Object
It's not that good, the AI is a bad joke even on 8. I do kindd of like the little story line mix they got going on it though. It's hard to find a narated fighter thesedays, marvel v.s. capcom 2 doesn't appear to even have endings....

sadoanarcho

Kabuki Klasher
I hope you aren't talking about the emulated version (deathraw for sure), because the AI is much simpler there. Of course nowadays even a proper programmed AI can't replace a tight fight against your friend, girlfriend or mother. So just invite them to get smacked up.

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
You might want to get SS3 if SS4 was too easy for you, it can be pretty difficult sometimes even on the lower levels and it had a little more personality to it (individual backgrounds themes, etc.). Plus each background had a unique low life/desperation version and, I don't know if this is just me, but some of the super moves look like they're better animated in SS3 then they were in SS4. It made 4 seem kind of rushed to me between that and the lack of good music (other than Zankuro's and Kazuki's themes).

Nari

Kuroko's Training Dummy
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Neo Rasa:
I don't know if this is just me, but some of the super moves look like they're better animated in SS3 then they were in SS4. It made 4 seem kind of rushed to me between that and the lack of good music (other than Zankuro's and Kazuki's themes).

Agreed. Basara's mad dog rush simply looked much better (in SS3). Nako's sliding slash also looked much better with that blanket of lights wrapped ard her.

Depending on the characters u use, I think Sogetsu (slash) nearing the final stages is pretty difficult with his liberal use of his water pillars. Bust Gaira's slam is also insane taking up to 60% life.

------------------
"I can't lose. For nature's sake"

A_Sombra

New Challenger
SS3 was in general better than SS4. For one thing, each character had more moves and they were more fluidly animated. Of course, that's because there was only about 12 characters in the whole game, but it was still better. SS3 was harder too. Especially the cheese assed final match (ho ho ho! No time-out victories for you! So if your arcade set the timer on 30 seconds, you're fucked!)

Also, playing upper class in SS3 was actually possible on a regular basis. In SS4, well, Upper class is almost like suicide -- unless you're that good with a blade catch (wistful sigh).

Um, I thought SS3 and 4 were bad jokes anyway. I've got 1 and 2 and that's all I'm getting. SS3 does have better graphics, though. That seems to be generally accepted.
I think the Last Blades were the true follow-ups to SS2 in terms of gameplay, although they fused and refined the systems from all the previous SS games.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
READING??

you're from reading?

good 'un !!

anyway,
best one is STILL sam 2,

3 is fuckin awesome,
for the dark vibe that its got...

4 is...

good...very good

but most of the times,
when i want to play a ss,
i go with 2....

weird,eh?

PSY

n00b
4 is too easy

and in vs matches its pretty cheap (tam tams jump C, easy 10-14 hitters that takes about half your bar, sogetsu (bust)'s air fireball, etc.)

of course those can be beat.. its just pure annoyance to see ppl do it over and over and over...

A_Sombra

New Challenger
For some reason, I've always found that the worst AI to fight in SS4 was Slash Ukyo at high levels. It made winning with Kyoshiro well nigh impossible because you had to fight ultra turtle at the end. It wasn't helped much by the fact that Ukyo tended to do Blade catches on your close slashes and then Sasame Yuki his way to glory. And when Ukyo got POWed up, oh boy, watch out for his Swallow Slash... stupendous damage.

PSY, I don't like 4 as a multi-player game... a lot of the characters in the game were pure juk (Charlotte) and the matching is obviously uneven. A lot of characters lost a lot of moves compared to SS3 (Bust Gaira anyone?)

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
I didn't know this many people liked SS3... I thought SS3 was considered to be the lower point of the SS series? SS3 is one of my favorite SNK games, because, it has the dark feeling, the cool characters, the wicked specials, and most of all...the BIG CHARACTERS.

Bryan

------------------
fetch.dll
aint it cool?

Beast of Fire

Quiz Detective
I dunno, I always liked SS2 the best. The characters just seemed to have more personality and "spirit", and the game itself had more atmosphere and lots of little touches that just seemed to say how much work SNK put into it. I didn't get that feeling with 3 and 4.

------------------
"Get out of my way, or I'll make you sorry that you didn't."

A_Sombra

New Challenger
I always felt that SS3 had had the most work put into it as for as graphics and revolutionizing the system went. It was the first SS with Bust/Slash, the first SS with air-blocking, dodging, switcharounds, POWing up, desparation backgrounds and running slashes that were different from their standing slashes. The characters also had a ton more moves... but unfortunately, they didn't spend enough time playtesting so there were major imbalance issues and a number of bugs (like Kyoshiro's slooooooowwwww death bug).

sadoanarcho

Kabuki Klasher
SS4 is a commercial game for me. The producers were very creative in the third part, but almost everyone was disappointed, it was too different from the second one which was considered to be the perfect beat'em up. So they returned to conventional gameplay and art and brougt back a few old characters and added unnecessairy and badly animated finishing moves. I don't think the programmers liked to do that, which had a bad influence on the level of detail. But that's exactly what seperates a good game from a top game.
SS3 is still the best beat'em up ever in my opinion.

B

Bobak!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sadoanarcho:

Well, I guess they had to make it for somebody (just like the made Legend of Success Joe for somebody, and the movie "Biodome" for somebody)

Bobak!

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sadoanarcho:
SS4 is a commercial game for me. The producers were very creative in the third part, but almost everyone was disappointed, it was too different from the second one which was considered to be the perfect beat'em up. So they returned to conventional gameplay and art and brougt back a few old characters and added unnecessairy and badly animated finishing moves. I don't think the programmers liked to do that, which had a bad influence on the level of detail. But that's exactly what seperates a good game from a top game.

I will agree to this on a lot of issues but, I personally liked IV a lot. This was the 1st time SNK introduced a real combo system in the series. I like the Art Style and presentation in Samurai Shodown III but I think Samurai Shodown IV had overall a better fighting engine over it's predacessor. Also pretty bad in part III was the fact that the Damage Levels were INSANLY high. Just like KoF 95 a good nasty 2 soild hits and you're lifebar was nearly gone. If anything I had to complain about IV it would be the level of animation was toned down a bit from part III but in the end, The longer replay value for me was in Samurai Shodown IV.

------------------
Wait until you see me go into 'Serious' Mode

BonusKun
Chat Solutions Staff
irc.chat-solutions.net