KOF, SS, WH, AOF, SF? Am I retarded

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Now I know that This I going to sound dumb but I really need help. When I play these fighters I can do pretty good (at teh easy levels) and It is fun. But when I challenge my self I get my ass whoped. In my Mvs game It takes me forever to get to the bosses and then Its pretty hard to beat them (except WH) I just don't seem to get it. I think that I am Not using combos to their full advantage, And Juggling and other stuff Like that ????? What are you talking about. I really thought that Fighters were just button mashers untill about 5 years ago when I was in college and my room mate made me start playing them. Now One of my favroit style of game is 2-D fighters (NOT 3-D) but when I take my skillz to the street I get scholled and never learn. Please help, I must defeat my friends.

------------------
--Shaper MC
vgowc_shaiaintro.gif

--WHAT NEO GEO'S ALL ABOUT--
--BUY MVS ONLY--

ShinGo585

n00b
Choose practice mode pick a character you like and just practice with him/her and get to know their moves. Figure out what moves can be linked to others to make combos and so on. After a while you will get the hang of it. Also most of it is timing not button mashing.

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
I also am one of those gamers that aren't skilled at combos... I usually jump and attack, then sweep, special move... and so on. And then unleashed a super special when bar is full. I can do some 2-in-1's although I haven't master counters and reversals.

Hey, what kind of fighting gamers are you? Are you like me or are you one of those combo experts?

------------------
"Good Night, Fuuma... Boodayakann!" -Hanzou

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
I'm the simple combo kind of guy...use simple weak/medium hits into specials which I then try to link into other specials, and when I seem to max out the possibilities, I try to tie-in super/desperation moves. You can pull off some pretty decent combos once you work with a charecter long enough. My best advice would be to always experiment with new/different styles( ie. combos, timing, power, speed, etc.) until you find one that suits you best. Even then try a new style of playing every so often just for fun or to improve. Also try focusing on one charecter at a time. Once you master/get good with a charecter, move on to another.

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
<< Once you master/get good with a charecter, move on to another. >>

For maximum replayability... yes indeed.... but for others..... NEVER!
wink.gif

There will always be folks out there determined to be the best Terry Bogard master or the best Hanzou expert.... we all know that!
biggrin.gif

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Watch what the computer does, and try modifying that. Once in a while the AI will actually do a half decent combo, and with a little fiddling on your own, you should be able to add in an extra hit or two here and there, substitute special moves, use a D.M., learn how to start it differently, etc. Observing other people's playing skills can also be a great asset. Otherwise, and in general, simply be creative.

FUUMA

Marked Wolf
Since I mostly play alone, I'm "Good" at all the games I own but I'm not the best at any. I beat the pulp out of one guy at World Heroes Perfect one day at the arcade but I totally got my ass kicked by a 12 year old at Marvel Vs. Capcom. You just never know, your method will beat someone out there and someone out there will totally beat your method. That's like a videogame reality check.

Overkill Geyser

Ninja Combat Warrior
Yeah... I understand what some of you guys mean. I call my self "Master of the 3 hits of death". You know, combos like jumping hard, standing hard, super. I can do more-hit combos, but I often freeze up at the thought of missing and being totally open afterwards.

------------------
"And THAT'S what makes me a legend!"

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Wax on, wipe off......

------------------
ss2_jubeistand.gif

"You lack dedication...try again!!"

Shapermc

Ok, For example, I can beat the living snot out of the AI in almost all NGPC games, because the combo links automatically (due to there only being one button for weak and strong attack) So I know that I have the right approach, But I need some help on how to Link up Attacks into combos...
The stuff that I am reading is (amazingly) the exact same things that I am Doing, So far the Bigist help Has Been the timing.
(Also I really like Genan for SS and I know allthe moves by heart, but I ave a problem Linking, and defeatin ?Akuzama?[end guy] Any tips?

------------------
--Shaper MC
goods-adult5.jpg

--BUY MVS ONLY--

[This message has been edited by Shapermc (edited March 20, 2001).]

Shapermc

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve:
I also am one of those gamers that aren't skilled at combos... I usually jump and attack, then sweep, special move... and so on. And then unleashed a super special when bar is full. I can do some 2-in-1's although I haven't master counters and reversals.

Hey, what kind of fighting gamers are you? Are you like me or are you one of those combo experts?

Very Similar to you, But want to go above and beyond that stage, no offence but I want Levle 1 to lose its challange. IT'S SPOUSE TO BE EASY, RIGHT?????????????
------------------
--Shaper MC
goods-adult5.jpg

--BUY MVS ONLY--

[This message has been edited by Shapermc (edited March 20, 2001).]

thundr51

Bead Banger
I remember when I used to be EXACTLY like you. I couldn't do a combo to save my life(or anybody else's for that matter). The first thing you need to learn is the special moves. You must be able to do the specials PERFECTLY. Then the art of the two-in-one. Once you've got that down you're halfway there. The rest is learning the game's combo system and creativity. I would suggest getting one character and sticking with them to learn them well. With most games once you've learned how to play with one character you can at least put up some type of defense with any of the others. Example: I'm currently learning to play Garou. I started out with Jae Hoon because he's supposed to be fairly easy to learn AKA scrub friendly. Once I can go through the game with him without too much trouble (read: without continuing) then I'm ready to pick another character. By that time I'm used to how moves link and connect, better understanding of what type of combos (10 hit combos or just 3-5 hitters). Plus as a bonus I also know the weaknesses and strengths of Jae Hoon so that when I'm playing someone else and Jae is the enemy, i'll be able to take him apart! Someone once said that the VS games are great for learning how to combo. I have to agree with that. Almost anything will link with anything so if you can keep from simply spazzing on the buttons long enough you can actually put together some rather nice high hitting combos instead of just getting a 30hit combo from a super.

Remember the primary reason to do a combo is to do as much damage from a single hit as possible.

Keep trying! Once you learn the basics of comboing you'll be able to apply the knowledge to many different games

iconn48.gif

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Actually, what got me started on the road to performing much, much better combos than what I ever used to do, was the Street Fighter II' Turbo Hyper Fighting Strategy Guide, published in English by Capcom & GamePro, from many years ago. One thing I always liked about GamePro's combo sections is that they take the approach that the reader is a first-time player, so they go through all the basics and in said guide, explaining everything with a fair amount of detail.

I advise you look for one on eBay or wherever, I'll try to scan the cover tomorrow at uni. so you can see what it looks like.

Shapermc

That would be great Bomberman.

------------------
--Shaper MC
goods-adult5.jpg

--BUY MVS ONLY--

steveold

Guerilla Warrior
I remember that book! Oh my gosh did I love reading and looking at it... it's so colorful and well written. It costed 9.95 back then and I have it right now in my living room.... what a great book. The artwork on the cover is pretty nifty as well.

------------------
"Good Night, Fuuma... Boodayakann!" -Hanzou

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Couldn't get to the scanner today. Too long a waiting period, so I'll go in a bit earlier tomorrow and try again.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Finally got to the scanner before other people. So, here's the link, as Geocities won't allow me to display the picture. http://www.geocities.com/neobomberman/sf2.jpg

Well, whenever Geocities allows it to be viewed. Are they having problems or something? This is becoming common.

[This message has been edited by Neo Bomber Man (edited March 26, 2001).]

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
An update to say I'm going to be bringing some stuff home from the school CPU's on diskette since Geocities is getting to bother me, so let me know if I should do the same with the Street Fighter book cover.

202lfo

i do agree with all you guys about learning the moves perfectly and learning how your charcter behaves and to combo and so on, but one thing i think you forgot is tactics!

when you play against a skilled human opponent, the tactics and strategies that worked fine against the computer will mostly be worth nothing anymore, and that's one point you should always remember.

if you just try to pull your favorite combo, your opponent will have learned it by the second time you used it and then it won't hit anymore, and you have to switch to some other move/combo.

i think that to win you have first to master the moves and combos, and second to master the strategies and tactics with your character to lure your opponent into traps, force him/her to make mistakes and so on.
you can even make moves to make your opponent nervous so that he looses his skills and can't make the simplest move corret anymore.

a friend of mine is a master in this stuff. if i play against him it's possible that he beat's me without loosing a single round a couple of times in ss4 (i play throug the game with ukyo on difficulty 8 without continue on a good day) or garou (in which i'm still not good unfortunately).

i hope you got the picture, because this topic is difficult for me to explain in english.

LFO

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
my best combo is with iori... jump kick, punch, fireball thingy, dragon uppercut thingy

sheesh, i suck

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
one thing i wanna know is, why do i always get an SSS or miracle rating in Garou? im totally not that good, but it still happens i've never gotten anything lower than AA either, but in capcom vs. snk i usually end up with a rating of 20 or less. i guess im messed up

Shapermc

OK I've been working hard, still struggling on SS but I just Got AOF3 LB RBFFS and I am pretty good at RBFFS but I am Awesome at LB with the char on speed (as opposed to power) I can do some pretty sweet combos with Lee. Can this help for any more tips? I am also getting that SF2 turbo book. THe guy says $3 for Shpping that seems pretty steep. Should i bitch about it ?

------------------
--Shaper MC
goods-adult5.jpg

--BUY MVS ONLY--

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Pretty steep? You sound pretty stingy. It's a 160 page book (plus poster, if it was not removed), and the pages aren't paper thin, no pun intended. The book has a fair weight to it, although I'm not sure what purchasing power $3 has with the USPS, whether a lot or a little.

Lurker

New Challenger
I suck too!

I can play them on home consoles and emulators, but at the arcades I have difficulty pulling any special moves off. And then after a while my left arm starts hurting>_<

I put lots and lots of money into it to practice...and my arm just hurts more>_<

Any special training for the left-joystick-arm?

Ragnarok

Quiz Detective
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sonic1687:
one thing i wanna know is, why do i always get an SSS or miracle rating in Garou? im totally not that good, but it still happens i've never gotten anything lower than AA either, but in capcom vs. snk i usually end up with a rating of 20 or less. i guess im messed up

The rating system in Garou is based more in speed. If you defeat your opponent fast, with a DM as finisher, most probabli you'll get an S+. Cap vs SNK is a weird rating system and i really don't like it.

Well, CPU is always easier than the human oponent. Even in the hardest difficult setting, the CPU, is still predictable and does patterns. A good human player rarely falls 2 or 3 times in the same strategy.

Me? I'm an average combo user. I can do difficult things, but i really don't abuse of infinites and/or bugs. It depends of the game. Each one has a different combo system (well you always can be cheap and do the usual close+C ----> special move .... i do it lots ^_^) but if you want to do something more, maybe a FAQ would help ya. That, and hours in the practice mode
biggrin.gif

------------------
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day.
Tomorrow's not looking good either.