Unibios Questions - Transparent Operation?

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
I just had a quick question about the unibios 2.3 that most people are using. Does the console boot up to a different boot screen or does it boot direct to the game as normal? Also is the default UK settings comparable to the USA settings? Meaning will i have to change my console settings from UK to USA everytime i boot my console without a memory card present? The reason i ask is i have one ready to install but if its going to be more of a hassle to play games then i would rather not install it, but if its operation is transparent then it would be a great item to install. I'm just basically trying to figure out if theres any hassle involved in having the chip or not. Thanks for your help in advance :)

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
If you're using it on an AES then yes, you'll need to reconfigure the UniBios with every restart if you don't have a memory card.

If you have a memory card, you can do things like disable the UniBios splash screen, change your region, etc. and it will be persistent.

If you're using it on an MVS (one with a working backup battery, anyway), all the settings are saved all the time so you don't have to reconfigure unless you want to.

Edit: as for the hassle factor, I promise any hassle is well worth it for the added features. Also, there's almost no difference between the euro and US regions ... in fact, the euro is usually less censored when there's a discrepancy. I'd see no problem with leaving it on the euro settings by default if I didn't have a choice.

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
Oh cool well i've already paid to have it installed so no biggie. I was told its not a good idea to keep the memory card in the slot at all times, what do you guys think? It would seem to me it would be a hassle to remove it all the time. So the unibios splash screen comes up everytime you boot the console? Just kinda getting a feel for what it'll be like. My first memory card was DOA so hopefully my second one gets here before my console gets back from the installer.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
jwm2 said:
Oh cool well i've already paid to have it installed so no biggie. I was told its not a good idea to keep the memory card in the slot at all times, what do you guys think? It would seem to me it would be a hassle to remove it all the time. So the unibios splash screen comes up everytime you boot the console? Just kinda getting a feel for what it'll be like. My first memory card was DOA so hopefully my second one gets here before my console gets back from the installer.

There's some videos of my AES booting up with the Unibios 2.3 in my overclocking thread (see my sig).

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Murray said:
If you're using it on an AES then yes, you'll need to reconfigure the UniBios with every restart if you don't have a memory card.

If you have a memory card, you can do things like disable the UniBios splash screen, change your region, etc. and it will be persistent.

If you're using it on an MVS (one with a working backup battery, anyway), all the settings are saved all the time so you don't have to reconfigure unless you want to.

Edit: as for the hassle factor, I promise any hassle is well worth it for the added features. Also, there's almost no difference between the euro and US regions ... in fact, the euro is usually less censored when there's a discrepancy. I'd see no problem with leaving it on the euro settings by default if I didn't have a choice.

To clear it up it starts up on Euro as a default, so if you like it on Euro then you do not need to reconfigure with every startup.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
As already said, if you boot up with no memoery card it will default to the euro region / console mode. You will only need to change everytime if you want to play in a different region. To be honest though the Euro region is far better than USA simply due to far less censorship in many games.

Raz

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
Oh perfect. I"ve already got the chip but i'm going to have the installer put it in for me next week. Can't wait :)

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
bump

I have an AES, ahem, with a memcard, i can't find out how to disable the splash screen though! :(

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
It is not possible to disable the splash screen in later versions of the Unibios and the option was never available when running on an AES.

Raz