Arcade Room SNK version. Is this thing licensed?

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
It doesn't say it uses real hardware, it's just an emulator. Most likely it is licensed. Quite useless since a real cab may be cheaper than that.

Dampfwalze

Armored Scrum Object,
20 Year Member
So it's overpriced crap?
Damn, looked nice on the picture. :confused:

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
some one here on the forums says its a jamma interface. connected is a little board with the roms and hw.

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
werejag said:
some one here on the forums says its a jamma interface. connected is a little board with the roms and hw.

Quite a waste of money, I'd say.

darkkrisp

Cheng's Errand Boy
Amano Jacu said:
It doesn't say it uses real hardware, it's just an emulator. Most likely it is licensed. Quite useless since a real cab may be cheaper than that.

It says "A fully-playable machine with a 14-inch monitor, controls for up to two players, and authentic arcade hardware "

But all that could mean is that the joystick, & monitor are authentic arcade hardware. Since it does not say anything about changeing games it is highly unlikely that there is a mvs board in there.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Doesn't matter it's a waste of money. $500 for KOF 95?

GeoStigma

Loyal Neo-Disciple
OrochiEddie said:
Doesn't matter it's a waste of money. $500 for KOF 95?

:spock:

It says on the site that it is $349.99 (Target sells these as well for the same price).

Doesn't anyone on here own one of these? Kinda curious to know what is inside of it or if it is basically emulated junk.

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
Actually from what i've read they are mini arcade machines complete with jamma interface. A few people have said they were going to take out the existing board and replace it with a 1 slot mvs. The only problem i have is the joystick controls are so close together. It would be nice if there was 2 controller ports in the front or at least 1 so if you wanted to play 2 player the second person can connect an aftermarket joypad or the aes joystick. But anyhow if you find any how to's on converting one to a mvs cab let me know. I wouldn't mind a little side project ;)

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
darkkrisp said:
It says "A fully-playable machine with a 14-inch monitor, controls for up to two players, and authentic arcade hardware "

But all that could mean is that the joystick, & monitor are authentic arcade hardware. Since it does not say anything about changeing games it is highly unlikely that there is a mvs board in there.

"Fast microprocessor" <- so there's a computer-like device inside. There's no way they would use real MVS hardware to fit 6 games.

Sundance

Sho's Rival
GeoStigma said:
:spock:

It says on the site that it is $349.99 (Target sells these as well for the same price).

Doesn't anyone on here own one of these? Kinda curious to know what is inside of it or if it is basically emulated junk.

Actually it IS being sold from Target. Seems so weird that one big box seller would use another online seller to move there product instead of there own Website. I don't know of any connection between Target and Amazon but i suppose it would reach a larger audience through Amazon.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I've actually had the misfortune of playing on one of these. What a pile of crap this thing is.

They sell them at this discount chain in massachusetts called building 19...similar to Big Lots for you folks elsewhere. The cp is so cramped that when you hit the D button you will 9 times out of 10 hit the player 2 stick. The buttons and sticks are like knock off competition parts, and are so unreasponsive its insane. The system is powered by a small pcb with an onboard SD slot. The Sd holds the roms for the games, and the graphics for the gui front end. The Interface is strangely similar to the x-box emulators made by x-port. The side art looks like they took a postcard sized jpeg and just kept increasing the size, looking at it for more then 30 seconds makes you feel like your getting dizzy. The one I used also made this lovely whirling noise...like a cat stuck in a car's fan. I've seen these things go for about $160 on ebay...and I think even that is too much.

Avoid this thing at all costs.

-DZ

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
What if you gutted it, put in a single slot mini mvs and rebuilt the controls so only 1 person could use the onboard controls but wire up a controller port so you could plug in an arcade stick or any neo geo controller for the second player. That sounds like an ideal solution, i wonder if anyone has pulled it off yet or even if it could be pulled off?

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
DecepticonZero said:
I've actually had the misfortune of playing on one of these. What a pile of crap this thing is.

They sell them at this discount chain in massachusetts called building 19...similar to Big Lots for you folks elsewhere. The cp is so cramped that when you hit the D button you will 9 times out of 10 hit the player 2 stick. The buttons and sticks are like knock off competition parts, and are so unreasponsive its insane. The system is powered by a small pcb with an onboard SD slot. The Sd holds the roms for the games, and the graphics for the gui front end. The Interface is strangely similar to the x-box emulators made by x-port. The side art looks like they took a postcard sized jpeg and just kept increasing the size, looking at it for more then 30 seconds makes you feel like your getting dizzy. The one I used also made this lovely whirling noise...like a cat stuck in a car's fan. I've seen these things go for about $160 on ebay...and I think even that is too much.

-DZ

Wow, I knew this wasn't a high quality item but I had no idea it was that bad.

Thanks for putting a warning out (not that many people would buy it anyway)

RATM

Zack de la Neo,
jwm2 said:
What if you gutted it, put in a single slot mini mvs and rebuilt the controls so only 1 person could use the onboard controls but wire up a controller port so you could plug in an arcade stick or any neo geo controller for the second player. That sounds like an ideal solution, i wonder if anyone has pulled it off yet or even if it could be pulled off?

thats better, but for the money you can still buy a fully functioning MVS cab and a bunch of games

GeoStigma

Loyal Neo-Disciple
DecepticonZero said:

-DZ

Thanks for the info, its a shame that they couldn't make these things decent.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
All it would have taken to make it decent was to actually play test it and the flaws would have been obvious. For a game system where the games are designed to reach full potential with 2 players, sombody should have stepped up and said "Look at this control panel. How the hell are two adults gonna play on this comfortably?"
Companies need to start looking at who the target market is for their products and design them accordingly. Kids really aren't into the neo, nostalgic adults are and this thing was designed for childrens hands.

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
It prolly was designed for kids. Most people our age don't play arcade machines anymore(shame on them). Instead they are looking for cool gifts for christmas and birthdays. If a dad in his 20-30's remembers the old neo geo classics he might be inclined to buy his son/daughter a mini arcade machine. Most adults who like to play games or arcade machines have full sized ones already. I however do not have the time or space right now as i'm moving between houses but someday i hope to have a full size machine. For me it would be great to rig it up the way i had described just to get the "feel" of an arcade machine once in awhile. Granted it doesn't beat owning an aes or a consolized mvs but its close if done right.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
i kind of want one. but it costs to much to justify my major mod job i would do.

new cpl
new side art
add a few inches to the bottom
drop in a 2-6 sloter into new bottom

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
werejag said:
i kind of want one. but it costs to much to justify my major mod job i would do.

new cpl
new side art
add a few inches to the bottom
drop in a 2-6 sloter into new bottom

there is no way you could fit a 6 slot in there...even a 2 would be highly unlikely...at most you could fit an mv-1f in there..

Last edited:

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
DecepticonZero said:
there is no way you could fit a 6 slot in there...even a 3 would be highly unlikely...at most you could fit an mv-1f in there..

if add a taller bottom im sure i could

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
werejag said:
if add a taller bottom im sure i could

I'd be happy with a single slot. To bad you couldn't make access to the slot externally and use it sort of like a console. That would be killer. I'd pay $50 for that, hehe :)