Capacitor Questions for Monitor

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I'm going to perform a cap kit on my Space Invaders monitor and I have to piece together the kit. First, where is a good online place to buy the capacitors at. Second, do I have to have exact replacements or can the values vary? The monitor is from 1977 and I'm pretty sure getting exact replacements may be a little difficult to find. Finally, does it matter if I get polarized or non-polarized? I know they have to be installed with polarity the right way. Thanks

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
I think they use an Electrohome monitor ?, look about half way down the page here
http://www.arcadeshop.com/parts.htm

Also Rob Roberts
http://homearcade.org/BBBB/caps.html

Capacitance values are critical in some parts of the circuit, the voltage however is not ,providing it exceeds the original (physical dimension becomes an issue here)

Usually all the electros are polarized, in some cases you may see a non-polarized electro, but it is fairly rare. Do not swap a bipolar with a polar and visa-versa.

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Nice part is... those older caps are BIG... so you can usually get a cap with the same rating but a higher voltage rating and a better temperature rating (105 celcius instead of 85) and still come in smaller in physical size.

Make sure you DO get the right type. Polarized vs. non-polarized does make a difference. It's possible to set up a couple of caps back to back to make some polarized caps work as non-polarized but I don't recommend it.

Check around for local shops and see if you have any in your area. If not, try one of the online places like www.jameco.com but beware that many of the online places have minimum ordering amounts.

RJ

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Could be either a Motorola or a Wells-Gardner monitor. They used either one in the Space Invaders games.

RJ

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I was able to identify my chassis as a WG V1000 and Bob has the cap kits. Thanks for the help