Bizarre aes graphic display...

petedexter

n00b
Hi all, long time lurker etc etc. just hoping to touch up with any more experienced folks to solve my current problem with my aes homecart system...

Basically, I've got a Jap system and I'm running it in the UK on my 60hz capable tv. The rf cable supplied with my system obviously displayed in black and white, so I followed the pinouts from http://pinouts.ru/VideoCables/NeoGeoScart_pinout.shtml and made myself a new cable. This displayed a stable screen, with correct sound, except I was getting a lot of colour bleeding, and a predominantly red output (for example, the neo geo boot animation when I load a game has a dark red background). I tested all connections with a mulimeter for continuity and any shorted pins and all was well. Nevertheless, I ordered a brand new cable, but I'm still getting the same output. Any ideas guys?

I'm at work at the minute, but I can post up some pictures later if that'd help describe my symptoms better...

Thanks in advance,

Pete

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
petedexter said:
I'm at work at the minute, but I can post up some pictures later if that'd help describe my symptoms better...

Welcome to the forum pete, post some pics, sure we can sort this out

petedexter

n00b
Cheers ttooddddyy, I hope we can too!

Right, here's some rough images from my camera phone, the wierd-ish lines are the result of that. My missus has run off with the digi-cam, so apologies in advance but you can get the gist...

neo1.jpg

neo2.jpg

neo3.jpg

neo4.jpg

neo5.jpg

You can see that there seems to be a bit too much red outputted :conf: which bleeds a little into the other colours. The last pic shows it best, but sometimes the red appears as a large, solid, translucent rectangle.
I've not been able to test with another cart as I've only the one at the minute and what with being the end of the month after xmas, food etc. takes a priority over more games with my money :( I've given it a good old clean but to no avail.

Any ideas?

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
I'm no where near as experienced with monitors as Tooodddyyy and RJ, but I'm going to venture and guess your monitor needs a cap kit installed (new capacitors to replaced the dried up ones).

-B

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Does your other systems have a correct display? If so, then you may want to see if your Neo has an RGB mod or not. Also, definatly get another cart to test out your system. I have bought some wonky carts over the times. Like my copy of Fatal Fury 2 .... weird. The problem with the cart I own is a graphic block glitch in the middle of the backgrounds.

petedexter

n00b
billd420 said:
I'm no where near as experienced with monitors as Tooodddyyy and RJ, but I'm going to venture and guess your monitor needs a cap kit installed (new capacitors to replaced the dried up ones).

-B

It's not a monitor, it's a normal pal tv...

Pepot_76 said:
Did u make the RGB mod ? or u tried to make ur own RGB cable ?

It's not been modded as far as I know, how would I find out? I made my own RGB cable first and got this problem so I ordered a new one but this displayed the same output. I tried adding a resistor to the red line, but the problem still occurs, just with the red not so bright! (duh)

SNKNostalgia said:
Does your other systems have a correct display? If so, then you may want to see if your Neo has an RGB mod or not. Also, definatly get another cart to test out your system. I have bought some wonky carts over the times. Like my copy of Fatal Fury 2 .... weird. The problem with the cart I own is a graphic block glitch in the middle of the backgrounds.

All my other machines display fine. Again, how would I find out if it's been modded, I'm fairly new to the AES!

The graphic block glitch occurs here too in the backgrounds, my camera phone images don't do such a good job of showing it though...

Hmmm, I'll go hunt on ebay for another cart to test with and live off beans for the rest of the week :D

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Another posibility is that there is a problem with the VideoRAM. You may want to find a TV that can display NTSC via the rf cable. Its strange though because if your TV can display 60hz or 50hz then the RF cable sould have given you a color picture (ours does here at least) for both frequencies.

Raz

petedexter

n00b
Yeah, I thought it may have been the tv playing up, but I tried it on the one downstairs and got the same display as the other

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
petedexter said:
All my other machines display fine. Again, how would I find out if it's been modded, I'm fairly new to the AES!

Search the forum for "RGB Bypass" there are a couple of tutorials which show pictures of what needs to be done to RGB Bypass an AES - all you need to do to see if this has been done is remove the cover from your AES, check if the resistors & capacitors which are supposed to be removed, are still there. Pretty much.