trisync toshiba help - SOLVED!!!

SephirothFF

Quiz Detective
I'm trying to run any 15khz PCB on my trisync toshiba but the colours and picture are a little messed up.

It says in the manual that I have to input RGB gnd and sync via the 15 pin VGA connector (I wired a cable especially for this) following the pinout on this page:

http://www.solvalou.com/arcade_jamma.php

All I'm getting is a black and white picture. I have tried connecting pins 6,7,8 and 10 to video ground and ground on the jamma board but alas to no avail.

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

SephirothFF

Quiz Detective
Okay I sorted out the problem but I just need to know what the RGB levels are on a standard jamma board. Is it 1V (p-p)? Is there a way to measure them with a multimeter/oscilloscope?

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
SephirothFF said:
Okay I sorted out the problem but I just need to know what the RGB levels are on a standard jamma board. Is it 1V (p-p)? Is there a way to measure them with a multimeter/oscilloscope?

The standard JAMMA RGB outputs should be 5 volts pk-pk.

SephirothFF

Quiz Detective
OK. I really would appreciate some serious help as I am completely frustrated about this rgb vga cable that I've been trying to construct for use with my arcade monitor and supergun.

Basically the situation is that I have an arcade monitor that will only accept rgb levels of 0.7 (p-p) and composite 2v-5v sync via its d-sub 15 pin vga connector.

If I connect my arcade monitor to my supergun via my xrgb2 then the sync and colours are perfect. However I would much rather get rid of the xrgb2 and simply have a cable straight from the supergun to the arcade monitor.

I know however now thanks to Toddddy that arcade RGB is around 5v p-p so I will need to drop the voltage on these wires for the picture to display properly.

First, here is a picture of the monitor trying to display the signal straight from the pcb:

IMG_0885.jpg

The picture seems to only show the blue...but I checked all the connections with a multimeter and everything looks ok.

Here is a pic of the vga harness:

IMG_0902.jpg

And here's another picture of the monitor with 850ohm resistors on the RGB lines:

IMG_0881.jpg

Before, I had the RGB lines hooked up to 1k pots which were functioning fine when hooked up to the xrgb. However, when I used the pots on the rgb lines going straight into the monitor, turning the red and green pots up and down had absolutely no effect. Turning the blue pot however made the whole picture go from dark to luminous blue almost like adjusting the contrast. I then checked to make sure red and green are connected properly but they were! It is so bizzare.

I thought maybe it was a problem with the cable that I'm using but it's a standard 20 wire cable bought from an electronics shop and I've doubled checked all the wires are connected to the correct jamma pins.

I simply cannot work out what the problem is...any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Last edited:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
That picture of the VGA connector isn't helpful at all. You would need to take a good closeup and give us info about the wiring (wire colour/function).

If you had a Naomi or Atomiswave systems you could hook them up to the monitor via the VGA port which outputs 0.7vpp even in low res mode. This would tell you without a doubt whether or not your custom VGA cable is wired correctly.

SephirothFF

Quiz Detective
I don't have a naomi or atomiswave system.

The cable is wired as per vga standard i.e.

pin 1: red
pin 2: green
pin 3: blue
pin 5: gnd
pin 6: gnd
pin 7: gnd
pin 8: gnd
pin 10: gnd
pin 13: C sync

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Thank you but I know the VGA pinout myself. What you should have posted is a pic showing your actual wiring job and not what you think you have done...

You're obviously mirroring the VGA pinout. You get a blue picture because the blue pin is the central pin of its row so it's in the same position even if you mirror the pinout. The same goes for the HSync, that's why you're getting a stable picture. The Red and Green pins are wrong though: correct them.

SephirothFF

Quiz Detective
MKL - you are a frikiking GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!

how could I have been so stupid!!!! the pins were the wrong way round!

HAHAHAHHA! You're the best MKL!