Component/S-video/Composite question.

mmelzer2004

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Alright, simple question for you all...

Is the S-video -> Component improvement anywhere near the Composite -> S-video improvement?

I'm planning on buying a consolized MVS soon and I'm wondering if Component is worth the price jump.

I have another question too... I have a cheap TV and when playing games (reguardless of console) through composite, on a very bright screen, the top 1/7th of the screen somewhat bows out to the left (not sure if that explains it well). I'm wondering if this would be cured with a better quality connection. Another odd thing that occurs with the same TV is when I leave a game on a particular screen (The Final Fantasy 7 menu screen, for example, with the blue background and your characters going down the left side) after a few minutes I see a bloom of purple/pink on the right side of the set. Again, I am not sure if its the TV or the connection, but if someone could give me any ideas for correcting this, please do.

If you need any pictures I can steal my parent's camera for a minute to try and take a couple of pics of what I'm talking about.

Thanks.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Sounds like your TV is a POS...

But to answer your question...

You notice a sizeable Jump if you go from encoded Svideo to Component. A Neobitz Component signal is very close to RGB....

mmelzer2004

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I could have told ya that, lmao... I got it a couple years ago for $130 or something on sale at Circuit City (20" flat tube Philips). Good to know that Component looks much better than s-video, sounds like its a worthy investment.

About the TV thing... for anyone else that has a TV like mine, do higher quality cables cut down on the problems I mention?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
mmelzer2004 said:
I could have told ya that, lmao... I got it a couple years ago for $130 or something on sale at Circuit City (20" flat tube Philips). Good to know that Component looks much better than s-video, sounds like its a worthy investment.

About the TV thing... for anyone else that has a TV like mine, do higher quality cables cut down on the problems I mention?

That's exactly what I've got...

And they are a fucking POS....

My screen is nearly a centermeter offcenter to the left...

And the Svideo Image looks like ASS.

And my power button broke.

My APEX was a better tube.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
mmelzer2004 said:

Do not wast your dough on fancy cables, you will never be able to make a silk purse out of a sows ass.

mmelzer2004

Tarma's Gun Polisher
ttooddddyy said:
Do not wast your dough on fancy cables, you will never be able to make a silk purse out of a sows ass.

Thanks for that... the reason I asked is I was unsure if the pink bloom was a result of the composite connections on my TV or the set itself. I'll have to hook up my 360 to see.

And thanks, 300wins, that is a great comparison thread.

jrok

n00b
Here's what I've found:

S-video CAN look amazingly good, but is totally dependant on how good the TV's video decoding is. Results can vary a LOT. Putting the same s-video signal into different TV's can look worlds apart. Just recently I used a small Toshiba with s-video and the picture looked TERRIBLE, swapping the same source to a Philips and the picture was perfect (!)

Component has looked excellent on everything I've every tried. On the same Toshiba set I mentioned above the component input looked worlds better than the s-video. On the Philips, not a lot of difference between the two inputs. Also testing on a Sony Bravia model, and swapping between component and s-video, you didn't see a big difference, they did a great job on the s-video decoding.

So... my advice would be that component is most likely to give you a great picture on all TV's. S-video might give you a good picture if the manufacturer hasn't cheaped out an put in a low quality s-video decoder.

- James

Your color blooming issue is obviously gaussing. This happens when the tube sucks and/or there is some magnetic interference close by. If you have any speakers next to the TV or anything else electronic by that side of the TV, move it away. Or perhaps take apart the TV and remove the internal TV speakers (being that you SURELY have the sound going to a separate pumped-up sound system, right?). As for the image bending to the left at the top, the tube pretty much just sucks, but all CRTs will have at least a little bit of "bloom" (what most people call it) where the brighter the image gets, the "bigger" the actual image becomes... it appears to grow and shrink depending on the brightness, in other words.

Go to Circuit City or perhaps somewhere with a better selection and ask for a standard definition TV that doesn't suck. I don't like playing older (pre-Dreamcast) systems on an HDTV because they can't handle 240p without upscaling and therefore don't look as good no matter what kind of connection you use. It is hard to get an SDTV these days that doesn't suck.