Want to cut the load times in NGBC PS2? Play it on PS3!

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
I picked up a PS3 last saturday, and have only just now got around to messing with the backwards-compatiblity.

Tried out Soul Calibur III this evening, and noticed that the load times seemed to be quicker.

Then it hit me to try the notoriously long-load time title, Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum. Amazingly enough, the load times DO get shortened! Instead of taking between 13-19 seconds to load up a match, the game only takes about 4-6 seconds to load up a stage now, and 1-2 seconds to load up the next set of opponents on the same stage in arcade mode. This is awesome. :D

EDIT: Didn't see any differences with SS Tenka or KOF XI, but those games don't have long load times anyway. KOF Maximum Impact 2 seemed to load a few seconds faster, but it's not anywhere near like what happens with NGBC.

Last edited:

Cain Highwind

Kula's Candy
Very interesting, too bad the PS3 can't be region free with PS1 and PS2 games. Oh well, I'm hoping that earlier news comment about SNK being able to release budget PS2 titles of games like NBC because of the PS3 release comes true.

On a related note, the European NBC comes out in just a couple days.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Cool. I really wasn't very bothered by the load times to begin with. It might help a little that I have the slim PS2.

Frankfurt

Cheng's Errand Boy
Is there any SNK PS1 or PS2 game that doesn't work on the PS3?

Do you have any other games to test?

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
KOF XI actually DOES load faster, by just a few seconds.

Here's some screens of SNK games running on the PS3 that I've taken. I play on a Sony Bravia TV using an HDMI cable.

KOF Maximum Impact 2

image249de3.jpg

The King Of Fighters XI

kofxips31kv9.jpg

kofxips32sk2.jpg

kofxips33bh3.jpg

Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum

ngbcps32it9.jpg

ngbcps31zb8.jpg

Garou: Mark Of The Wolves

I didn't mess with the image settings, but this one looked a bit too pixellated on the PS3. The non-Atomiswave game definitely don't look as good.

garoups31sy5.jpg

Here's an Atomiswave-ported game, but without any filtering on the sprites:

Samurai Spirits Tenkaichi Kenkakuden

sstsp31mz8.jpg

sstsp32sx2.jpg

sstsp33qf2.jpg

sstsp34rw9.jpg

Next up to try is Neowave, then the classic collections. I've got Real Bout Special Dominated Mind to try too.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
seems the 2d games don't suffer from the issues that were claimed on the ps3. Well MI 2 look good as well. Excellent stuff thanks for the info.

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
Does the PS3 upconvert those games to 480p, 720p or 1080i or leave them in 480i mode?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm pretty sure it displays them all at 480p although I've only tried using an HDMI cable which in the manual says only goes down to 480p so I guess it outputs at 480p.
The PS2 can output 480p if you hold triangle and X while the game boots.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
For any PS2 games that never supported 480p in the first place, the PS3 will upconvert them to 480p.

Not sure about games that you can boot into 480p (like KOF XI for example). Don't know if you can get them native 480p. Someone else will be able to confirm. I haven't bothered to try yet...

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
The PS3 will make all PS2 games run in 480p. I have noticed a difference when enabling the 480p code in the games that support it-- Resident Evil 4 looked awful without the proscan code enabled.

OrochiEddie said:
seems the 2d games don't suffer from the issues that were claimed on the ps3. Well MI 2 look good as well. Excellent stuff thanks for the info.

Yeah, some games look fantastic, and others look noticeably worse. It's not as bad as some people are claiming, at least not on the TVs I tried it on. My PS2 isn't going anywhere, so if a game doesn't look as good on the PS3, it stays on the PS2. No big deal.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I got to try alpha anthology on a store demo ps3 and there is noticable lag, almost a second, on the button presses. Game was completely unplayable. Glad to see the snk games dont suffer from that.

Also, I picked up this disc called HDTV player for the ps2. It allows you to run ps2 games in any resoultion up to 1081i even if the games doesnt support it. So far I cant boot Jp imports and virtua fighter 4 evo doesnt work with it, but damn MI II looks amazing.

Last edited:
DecepticonZero said:
I got to try alpha anthology on a store demo ps3 and there is noticable lag, almost a second, on the button presses. Game was completely unplayable. Glad to see the snk games dont suffer from that.

Also, I picked up this disc called HDTV player for the ps2. It allows you to run ps2 games in any resoultion up to 1081i even if the games doesnt support it. So far I cant boot Jp imports and virtua fighter 4 evo doesnt work with it, but damn MI II looks amazing.

I'm really interested in this. link? :spock:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I tried that disc, my PS2 has a really old Magic 3 mod chip and in order to run any games you need to reboot, this disc doesn't allow me to do that.

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
Have you tried again since posting these pics with the filtering on for MotW? I am curious to see if that eliminates some of the jagged edges. Also, have you noticed any input lag as has been mentioned previously?

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
Asmoday said:
Have you tried again since posting these pics with the filtering on for MotW? I am curious to see if that eliminates some of the jagged edges. Also, have you noticed any input lag as has been mentioned previously?

Haven't tried that with MOTW, and no, no input lag in any games, SNK or otherwise. Street Fighter worked fine. Maybe that demo unit controller he was using was messed up or something. :P