MV-2F : But where is the 68000 ?????

It's a stupid question, but this night I was cleaning my MV-2F as I've read that the processor of the board was the famous 68000 I wanted to find it but didn't successed... I didn't find proc ... I've the small version of th MV-2F board, someone knows where the processor is located? is it the neo-b1 ???

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Is the cpu not next to the socketed bios rom

MV-2Fopen2sm.jpg

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
The processor is directly to the right of the bios in that pic, its either a Toshiba or Motorola but usualyl a Toshiba but always marked 68000. By the way that is not the smaller version 2 slot

Last edited:
Ok, mime is more like this
MV-2FopenSm.jpg

But for what I found on the net the 68000 should look like this
showimage2.jpg

On my board there is two squared chips, but they have way more pin than the 68000 should...
Is it the rectangular wersion of the 68000 on my board???

Last edited:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
On your 2-slot it's the 64-pin rectangular chip just behind the memory card reader marked 68000-12.

Thanks MKL !
Do you know what are the difference between the rectangular and the squared 68000 ?
Is one better than the other ?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Not to be annoying or anything but may I ask exactly why you want to know where the 68K CPU is? I mean it's not like seeing a famous location or something.

Edit: that square 68k cpu says, if im not mistaken, 16mhz on it. The Neo has a 12mhz 68k cpu so the square one is faster.

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
MetalSlugysed said:
Thanks MKL !
Do you know what are the difference between the rectangular and the squared 68000 ?
Is one better than the other ?

Why, yes... it's quite simple... Different packaging for different applications.

The square one, a.k.a. PLCC packaging is for surface mount applications. Takes up less board space. The trade off is less heat dissapation since the package size is smaller it can't radiate off as much heat.

It's part of an evolution from old plated through hole technology for large sized DIP chips to smaller, easier to manufacture & automate surface mount technology.

The chips are usually pretty close to identical inside the package. There will be some differences in die size - in other words: The newer chips are made with newer technology and made smaller in physical size. That allows for more yield at the factory since you can fit more chips on a single large wafer.

Raymond

Waow channelmaniac you are an expert ;)

Edit: that square 68k cpu says, if im not mistaken, 16mhz on it. The Neo has a 12mhz 68k cpu so the square one is faster.

I know I made a mistake when I pick up the picture I saw that 68000 ranged from 8 to 16 Mhz..

Not to be annoying or anything but may I ask exactly why you want to know where the 68K CPU is? I mean it's not like seeing a famous location or something.

In fact I read a lot about overclocking Neo-Geo, but the cpu was always the squared 68000. That's why last night I didn't found the cpu, I was focused on square parts :rolleyes: ). I found the data sheet of the MC68HC000B12, it seems that the clock is on the pin 15, I want to try 16 and 18 Mhz quartz oscillator.
Have you tried ?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Other people have overclocked the Neo before, it gets rid of slowdown in Metal Slug 2 but I've heard it speeds up every other game so it's not really that good for a permanent solution.

I've not read about speed up, they said that some games (all except the Slug serie ;) ) have troubles when the neo is overclocked.
I mostly play slug, that is why I will do the mod, but I'll put a toggle to choose 12 Mhz or 18 mhz :buttrock:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I've never seen a square 68000 on an MVS or AES board. Are there any Neo boards that don't have a rectangular one?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
The newer 1-slots (MV1FZ, MV1A/B/C) have the CPU in PLCC package. The home system only has DIL CPUs.