puzzled by mvs cart chips

Hi,

today I opened my Puzzled MVS cart and I am a bit confused by the chips. I know that MX is evil and Toshiba is good in a cart, but I haven't seen this type in my other carts.

The pictures can be found here (sorry they are big (around 400KB)):

picture 1
picture 2

Is it ok to have this kind of chips in an MVS cart, or do they make it a boot?

Thanks a lot

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Well, they have the correct NGH number on them (Puzzled's NGH # is 21). So, that's a good sign. They also have the time they were produced on them. I'd highly doubt it's a boot.

Aaron D said:
Well, they have the correct NGH number on them (Puzzled's NGH # is 21). So, that's a good sign. They also have the time they were produced on them. I'd highly doubt it's a boot.

Thanks a lot for your help. The NGH # are the ones on the Master List and if the chips on a cart have the correct number for the game then it's highly unlikely that the cart is a boot? I always wondered where to find the magic numbers.

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
I'd say that's legit.

A lot of the older carts have totally different boards and roms to the later games.

I think a major reason there is this confusion is that no one really bootlegged the older games and people are so used to seeing the CHA256 & PROGTOP boards.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
reservekasper said:
Thanks a lot for your help. The NGH # are the ones on the Master List and if the chips on a cart have the correct number for the game then it's highly unlikely that the cart is a boot? I always wondered where to find the magic numbers.

Yeah, no problem. ;)

I'm not sure if the chips having the correct NGH number completely dispels the possibility of a boot, but I know it's definitely a good thing if they have it. EDIT: Oh, and yes, the NGH numbers can be found on the master list. And, it's like Superfamifreak says, nobody really boots older games. I have seen Baseball Stars 2 boots pop up recently though...

Last edited:

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
If you look, the boards are typical of 1st gen games, with all the extra chips. You got nothing to worry about. Those older boards have the LS chips like that. 100% legit is that board.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
They're Fujitsu chips.