Upgrade SF2 CE to Accelerator boot

frog213

n00b
I had the guy at hobbyroms.com burn me a set (roms 21, 22, and 23) of the bootleg SF2 CE accelerator pt. 2 roms and they don't work. If you aren't aware, changing between CE (US) and HF (US) is just a matter of changing roms 21, 22, and 23. So the accl. roms are these 3 as well. The rom images are from romnation.net. I figured they were a good dump?

Possible problems I've thought of, maybe you can clarify?

jumpers on the board need to be changed because CE/HF roms are (US) and Accl. roms are (World/etc)???

Do the bootleg roms only work on a bootleg board, my SF2 is a capcom board, and not a boot board?

I've been told some thing about a PAL chip on the board, anyone know anything about this
http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.games.video.arcade.collecting/msg/9f827013748644bb?hl=en&

Last edited:

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I dont know an answer to most of your questions but one thing i do know is ive tried to use roms off of romnation for burning ect and alot of them are incomplete, writtenn as the wrong country code and lots of other issues so yeah maybe they have some bad dumps as well. SO I just stick to using sets I have and know work.

Have you tried testing the set in mame?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
If you have the PAL code you can easily burn a GAL chip and try it as a replacement.

Most EPROM programmers will do GAL chips these days as they are flash programmable/erasable. The old PAL chips had tungsten fuses and took a programmer that had enough current output capacity to blow the fuses.

RJ

frog213

n00b
channelmaniac said:
If you have the PAL code you can easily burn a GAL chip and try it as a replacement.

Most EPROM programmers will do GAL chips these days as they are flash programmable/erasable. The old PAL chips had tungsten fuses and took a programmer that had enough current output capacity to blow the fuses.

RJ

Thanks for the info, but can you please give me more details because I am very new to THIS aspect of coin-op(rom burning). I brought my punisher board back to life thanks to the dead battery society, but all of the rom burning was done by a friend of mine. I just did all of the board hackery.

I don't know what a PAL chip is and GAL and all that stuff. I had to have hobbyroms.com burn the roms for SF2 CE accelerator pt.2 because they are 40 pin roms. Otherwise I would have had my friend do it but his burner is only a 32 pin rom burner. Can I download this PAL code? And where is the chip on the SF2CE board? Can my friend burn this in a 32 pin rom burner?

Thanks sooooo much for the reply, I was starting to think no one cared:crying:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
You typically won't find a place to download PAL code. Most of them had the security fuse blown so you can't read the logic tables.

It is possible to reverse engineer them but you'd need to do all kinds of tests to figure out the logic they've been programmed as.

PALs are not ROMs or PROMs or EPROMs. They are custom logic chips that are programmed to have certain combinations of logic gates strung together. You program them by burning fuses or by programming EEPROM type bits in a logic table.

RJ

frog213

n00b
channelmaniac said:
You typically won't find a place to download PAL code. Most of them had the security fuse blown so you can't read the logic tables.

It is possible to reverse engineer them but you'd need to do all kinds of tests to figure out the logic they've been programmed as.

PALs are not ROMs or PROMs or EPROMs. They are custom logic chips that are programmed to have certain combinations of logic gates strung together. You program them by burning fuses or by programming EEPROM type bits in a logic table.

RJ

So i'm screwed.

Thanks for the info, you seem like you really know the ins-and-outs of this stuff? Are you an engineer major or something?

thanks again

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Nope... learned all this stuff on my own. I just love repairing old games. Been working on electronics since 7th grade when an uncle helped me repair an old assed TV so I could keep playing my Atari 2600. ;) That got me hooked. Another uncle had a TV repair shop & taught me how to troubleshoot stuff.

I also buy/sell old parts and game systems and have a collection of old data books and test equipment to keep those games going. Looking around now for a PAL programmer. I have an EPROM/EEPROM/GAL programmer and an old school PROM/EPROM programmer, but no PAL programmer. That's my next purchase.

RJ