OK, getting back into MVS but... I want to consolize myself. Tips/links/info?

Adam Gallant

King's Dry Cleaner
I'm back again after a loooooooooooong hiatus... and looking to get back into the ranks of MVS. However, now that I've successfuly modded a Genny and a Saturn, I think I might be steady enough with the solder to consolize myself. Info seems kind of scarce, but I know you guys have to have some good sources.

Additional info to think about for my case:

1) We have a cat. The cat likes to jump on things. The cat is very very staticy. Bad times all round.

Need to find a way to completely enclose the system.

2) Due to #1 would it be better to go the supergun route, and make the thing big enough to enclose the board and supergun?

Things to consider: I have NO woodworking experience, nor the ability/space to get any.

Well sirs, what do you think?

-AG

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
In my opinion, superguns should be very small, since there's no reason for them to be as big as I've sometimes seen them. So going the supergun route doesn't help anything at all. I would just do a standard consolization and not worry about it. Just study superguns and consolizations enough and you'll eventually figure out how to do it. Visit D-Lite's site, www.multimods.com, for some good pointers on the hardware needed. Woodworking does not come into play here.

Adam Gallant

King's Dry Cleaner
the above tip is probably the best tip ever for anything. Except maybe disarming a bomb.

The big key here is that full enclosure is -necessary- due to the cat. I can't do a regular consolization for fear of static damage.

But still, any good starting points in consolizations online? SRG doesn't seem to have too many articles, unfortunatly.

-AG

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
As long as it's not a 1-slot, I think the standard case will be sufficient.

I don't understand the pet concerns, because I'm not a pet person.

SSS

neo retired
Are you telling us you think your cat's going to fry MVS pcbs? This may well be a first.

Adam Gallant

King's Dry Cleaner
SamuraiShodownSensei said:
Are you telling us you think your cat's going to fry MVS pcbs? This may well be a first.

From years of putting together PC's... yeah. My cat has more than enough static charge to fry a PCB. I realize that there are feet on the board, but is that enough to protect from static charges hitting it? There doesn't seem to be much info on this, so I might be missing a main fact about neo boards being self-grounded. If that's the case, well hell, I'll just go the normal route :)

-AG

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
As a standard engineering practice you should decide on which motherboard to consolize first. Do you want memory card support? Is having multiple slots important to you?

Given what info you have posted I would probably steer you towards a 2 or 4 slot for multiple slot boards or an MV1FZ for a one slot as they have built-in covers to protect the PCB from overhead loads such as a cat.

Next is features. You'll need to decide what sort of video suits you best. Composite, S-video and component are the three main outputs from RGB encoders. The R2N puts out awesome composite (relative term), the Jrok does good Svideo and the Neobitz can handle the component. In addition to video the controllers' inputs need addressing but only in the case if you decide on the one slot mentioned in the paragraph above. I'll assume the Unibios will be standard equipment as it is well worth its feature content.

There aren't many options for a power supply, so you'll probably get a Jameco SC200 or whatever the new one is that replaces it (SW300 I believe).

That'll cover most everything substantial, the details are up to you and your personal tastes.

Adam Gallant

King's Dry Cleaner
Video questions - the R2N looks like my main choice, as I have no way to do S-Video or Component... and it's not likely that would be available any time soon. However, I CAN do RGB as well... on a Apple IIgs monitor (checked already, it's compatible). Would the R2N allow for this, or would it just be easy to rig up the R2N AND an RGB setup at the same time?

A 2 slot looks good, if only for the controller ports already being wired in. I plan on using old-style Neo sticks, or wiring saturn pads, although more likely both :D.

Are there 2-slots with headphone jacks built in? If so... I have a nice speaker setup that's meant for computers... runs off headphone jacks but the sound is immense. I use it on my TV atm.

As long as the cover and feet would protect from static discharge, I guess I wouldn't have to worry much about the cat issue. I'm less worried about him getting on top of the system as much as getting his furry butt next to it and releasing a charge.

-AG

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Adam Gallant said:
Video questions - the R2N looks like my main choice, as I have no way to do S-Video or Component... and it's not likely that would be available any time soon. However, I CAN do RGB as well... on a Apple IIgs monitor (checked already, it's compatible). Would the R2N allow for this, or would it just be easy to rig up the R2N AND an RGB setup at the same time?

A 2 slot looks good, if only for the controller ports already being wired in. I plan on using old-style Neo sticks, or wiring saturn pads, although more likely both :D.

Are there 2-slots with headphone jacks built in? If so... I have a nice speaker setup that's meant for computers... runs off headphone jacks but the sound is immense. I use it on my TV atm.

As long as the cover and feet would protect from static discharge, I guess I wouldn't have to worry much about the cat issue. I'm less worried about him getting on top of the system as much as getting his furry butt next to it and releasing a charge.

-AG

If you'd rather go the RGB route you shouldn't need any encoder. Personally I dislike most RGB monitors since they usually come in tiny sizes. You could wire up both if and only if you only used one output at a time.

Two slots do indeed have headphone jacks.

The stamped steel cover protects most all of the board, you shouldn't have any problems. I would recommend using some sort of short standoffs with a solid base on a two slot. The feet on the board are designed to be permanently attached to the inside of a cab, not resting horizontally.

Adam Gallant

King's Dry Cleaner
Magnaflux said:
If you'd rather go the RGB route you shouldn't need any encoder. Personally I dislike most RGB monitors since they usually come in tiny sizes. You could wire up both if and only if you only used one output at a time.

Two slots do indeed have headphone jacks.

The stamped steel cover protects most all of the board, you shouldn't have any problems. I would recommend using some sort of short standoffs with a solid base on a two slot. The feet on the board are designed to be permanently attached to the inside of a cab, not resting horizontally.

Now THAT was the answer I was looking for, thank you so much! :)

I could find something decent to mount the feet on, and a powered drill should screw them in tight, I know I can pull that off.

I was thinking on composite + have an RGB cord, but only using one at a time. Just in case I come across a big RGB monitor that could work, I'd like the option.

How hard is it to wire up a memory card port? I can do without if it's difficult, however it'd be nice for Super Baseball 2020 (my fav. baseball game of all time, oddly enough).

Thanks to everyone that's helped so far, once I get the cash to buy the parts, I'm clearing out the workshop and getting this sucker done!

BTW: painting the metal top - what type of paints are recommended? Spraypaint or actual brushwork?

-AG

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I don't know much about memory card support, but HardMVS has all boards with memory card support listed.

The MV1FZ will not support the memory card.

The reader has two ribbon-type cables that attach to the MVS. My two slot has the slot for the card onboard IIRC.

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
check out my sig below for an idea of what you can do with the feet and the base. In terms of paint for the cover I wouldn't reccommend using spray paint as I did. It chips really easily when you start replacing the carts and when you're tightening up the screws to put the cover on. Lots of people have reccommended powder coating as it's not meant to chip, but I haven't tried it so can't say for sure how good it is.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Adamaki said:
check out my sig below for an idea of what you can do with the feet and the base. In terms of paint for the cover I wouldn't reccommend using spray paint as I did. It chips really easily when you start replacing the carts and when you're tightening up the screws to put the cover on.

This can be avoided by putting plastic washers in between the screws and the cover.

Adamaki said:
Lots of people have reccommended powder coating as it's not meant to chip

It will chip too, just not as easily.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Adam Gallant said:
Yes. I don't reccomend PC speakers for anything but the PC monitor though. When connecting to a TV, always use the sound on the TV -- it's retarded how some superguns have speakers built-in. Add the left and right audio jacks on the back of the system or just buy the cables from Radio Shack to connect the TV sound through the board's headphone jack.

Adam Gallant said:
Now THAT was the answer I was looking for, thank you so much! :)
Hey, what the hell was wrong with my answer? Do your own research instead of acting like a clueless newb. If you're going to do a consolized MVS, then you'd better at least kind of know what you're talking about. The archives on this board have all the information already posted, if you're just willing to be patient and look.

If the regular metal board cover isn't going to be good enough with your cat around, then you've got some serious cat problems that need to be addressed first.

This page compares all the different MVS boards:
http://www.hardmvs.com/html/PCBcompare.htm

All of the newer (smaller) 1-slot boards have no memory card support of any kind. The rest (including all multi-slots and the original version of the 1-slot) are at least compatible with the MV-IC (official memory card reader), but the 2-slot is considered the favorite because it has it all already built-in, with no need for the reader attachment.

Last edited:

Adam Gallant

King's Dry Cleaner
Wow dude, ow.

The only issue with your answer was it didn't actually answer the question - can a cat's static charge disrupt the Neo board. It -can- disrupt computer PCBs, you never mentioned if the outer shield was good enough protection. Neither does HardMVS, or Supergun Repository, or any of the other places I checked. Considering I had to reword the question three times before I got a proper answer, maybe I just can't type, but still.

Still, I'd like to thank everyone, even you Neo Alec, for the help. The path is pretty obvious now:

MV-2F board, 2-slot which rigs most of the necessary extras on top. R2N encoder (which might be a problem to find, seeing as Craze Arcade seems to no longer sell them... maybe I can find a reseller?) for the video encoding, plus an RGB cable to try out on the IIgs monitor.

Neo sticks for controllers, and mounted feet onto a non-conductive board to reduce static issues. It gets dry up here in the winter, can't be too careful.

I've got someone willing to sell me a working 2-slot board for $125, which as I've seen is a decent price. Close enough to pick up no less, so I could save on shipping. 'Course, if that's no good, by all means someone let me know before I rip myself off accidentally.

Unibios is a must, my last CMVS had one back in the 1.4 days, and it was indispensable then, can't imagine how great 2.2 must be! MV-2F has a socketed BIOS, no worries there.

All in all, minimal soldering, just need a test and coin switch, or to wire the coin through the joystick to select. Not bad :chimp:

-AG

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
SamuraiShodownSensei said:

It would only be a first in MVS history, not a First in Neo-Geo History.

My ex's cat pissed on my neo while I was Changing Laundry.

I came upstairs and the screen was all screwy with a lound buzzing noise.

the piss ran down the Reset button and fried some of the chips.

Adam Gallant

King's Dry Cleaner
norton9478 said:
It would only be a first in MVS history, not a First in Neo-Geo History.

My ex's cat pissed on my neo while I was Changing Laundry.

I came upstairs and the screen was all screwy with a lound buzzing noise.

the piss ran down the Reset button and fried some of the chips.

I remember reading that story. A sad day for the Neo indeed.

-AG

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I don't have any first-hand experience with animals and game systems. Like I said, I think that the metal cover should be sufficient. I'd estimate it's not that much more vulnerable to static and pee than any other console, although it is made of metal, and slightly more open to the elements.

That story sucks, norton. All the same, I was afraid you were going to say it still worked and you sold it to someone else.

Cats like game systems because they get warm. Another reason for me not to have a cat.