More monitor quirks *UPDATE*

SSS

neo retired
Update- I swapped out the iso transformer for a 15 dollar replacement, and low and behold, it no longer jumps. (with the 4slot that is, but still with my 2slot :spock: )

Again with a monitor question. The original monitor in my 4slot seems to work fine until a bright flash occurs on the screen, or the background changes (IE menu to fight screen). Then the image will "bounce" and settle back out. Games are playable, it's just a minor annoyance. It isn't the power supply, as I swapped out the rusted one already. It's the original setup, so it's running through an isolation transformer. Does it sound like it needs a cap kit, or just chalk it up to the fact that it's 15+ years old?

Last edited:

N80G80

Igniz's Servent
I just helped a buddy of mine with his neo big red. After we replaced the isolation transformer and power supply he would get what kind of looked like wavy lines sometimes while we were playing. Long story short he bought a new chassis and it fixed everything only cost him like $100.00 good luck with your monitor.

SSS

neo retired
N80G80 said:
I just helped a buddy of mine with his neo big red. After we replaced the isolation transformer and power supply he would get what kind of looked like wavy lines sometimes while we were playing. Long story short he bought a new chassis and it fixed everything only cost him like $100.00 good luck with your monitor.

Well, it did this before I replaced the power supply as well. As for a new chasis, I'll look into it. It's not a big deal as I have a brand new 25" CGA monitor in a box ready to go.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I'm going to go way out with this one as I don't know shit about monitors/I'm just learning..

I'd like to see what ttooddddyy(or anyone else) says about this first..

........On my two slot I noticed jumping...(sounds like what you have),,The screen voltage adjustment knob has some type of sealer on it to keep it from vibrating,or maybe moving...I needed to adjust this knob so I moved it..

IMO if this knob isn't making a clean contact inside it may cause a problem..I'm wondering if that know could cause your problem..
I moved the knob back and forth a few times and it cleared things up...
Though I only got that type of bounce with Shock Troopers 2 in..

ttooddddyy said:
The screen voltage adjustment is always the bottom pot (below the focus pot) on the flyback transformer.

Turn just a few deg anti clock and the retrace lines should disapear.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126378&highlight=Horizontal+lines

SSS

neo retired
chris1 said:
I'm going to go way out with this one as I don't know shit about monitors/I'm just learning..

I'd like to see what ttooddddyy(or anyone else) says about this first..

........On my two slot I noticed jumping...(sounds like what you have),,The screen voltage adjustment knob has some type of sealer on it to keep it from vibrating,or maybe moving...I needed to adjust this knob so I moved it..

IMO if this knob isn't making a clean contact inside it may cause a problem..I'm wondering if that know could cause your problem..
I moved the knob back and forth a few times and it cleared things up...
Though I only got that type of bounce with Shock Troopers 2 in..

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126378&highlight=Horizontal+lines

I know the pot you're refering to, and I've already messed with it a little when I first got the cab. (screen was too dark) I'll give it another shot, but I won't hold my breath.