New Sega Astro City flourescent bulb and monitor cutting in and out

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
I was playing my one of the Astros last night and I noticed that the marquee bulb cut out for a split second and then came back on. I thought OK, no big deal, maybe the bulb is dying. Well it happened again and again, with fewer time inbetween the bulb cutting out. I started to get a little nervous.. Then all of the sudden, the monitor cut out and came back on at the same time the bulb did. I turned the cab off after that. I have no idea what it would be, but since I was running third strike at the time so i decided to just turn the cab off and troubleshoot the problem later.

Any ideas how to trouble shoot this? I have the cabinet plugged into a surge protector, so I don't think it was a power surge. The lights in my appartment did not dim while this was going on... I was told maybe its the power supply or a grounding issue.

Any help plz,
Bill

Last edited:

Mulletron

Kabuki Klasher
Yeah, the Marquee, Power Supply, and Monitor all take power from the In-line... it would be VERY safe to keep your Third Strike out if it continues to do this.

I'd say its a grounding issue, either check all of the grounds... add more, or see whats up.

Has this outlet given you trouble before? Has this Cabinet given you trouble before?

Try different cabinets or different outlets. Good job on the Surge protector...

Is it the Surge Protector?

Just run the lines and look for abnormalities.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Swap out the PSU's between the two Astro's, maybe the PSU is dying.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
I was told over at killer cabs that when the fluorescent bulb starts to die, it can mess with the AC voltage loop (which would explain the in-synch flickering of light and monitor). I need to source a new bulb and starter (15watt fluorescent bulbs that fit seem to be hard to source in the US...). Anyways, I was told to just take out the bulb as a temporary fix.

-Bill

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Aw wait to go dude... there goes my gigashock status. I had it for approximately 30 seconds LOL

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
billd420 said:
I was told over at killer cabs that when the fluorescent bulb starts to die, it can mess with the AC voltage loop (which would explain the in-synch flickering of light and monitor). I need to source a new bulb and starter (15watt fluorescent bulbs that fit seem to be hard to source in the US...). Anyways, I was told to just take out the bulb as a temporary fix.

-Bill

Home Debit has tubes & starters in stock... If yours is the skinny bulb then you might want to check a pet store that has an aquarium section. They use fluorescent bulbs too. ;)

RJ

bay

Armored Scrum Object
this might explain why one of the cabs i just got has no bulb..

anyone find a place to get replacement bulbs?

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
I'm on the lookout. I'm going to go to home depot either tonight or tommorow night and scope things out. I'll report in this thread when i locate em.

-Bill

Mulletron

Kabuki Klasher
Go to home depot and get the daylight bulb, its 2 bucks more, but has a perfect white, rather than an off yellow/amber.

Should be about 6.24$, right by the 8 foot t-8s. Small, individually boxed, color coated. The one you want will be bright blue... or of you just want the mid off yellow/white.. its in a red box labeled, Cool white.

Good luck.

bay

Armored Scrum Object
Mulletron said:
Go to home depot and get the daylight bulb, its 2 bucks more, but has a perfect white, rather than an off yellow/amber.

Should be about 6.24$, right by the 8 foot t-8s. Small, individually boxed, color coated. The one you want will be bright blue... or of you just want the mid off yellow/white.. its in a red box labeled, Cool white.

Good luck.

i might swing by home depot tonight, i'll report in on my findings :smirk:

EDIT: i being stupid forgot to check for the bulb.. :loco: .. next time!

Last edited:

GrimDog

New Challenger
home depot (at least mine) did not carry the correct bulb. They had the right length, but the width of the bulb was to thick. They also did not carry the starter.

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
Old thread, but I thought it might be worth bumping since I just found a replacement bulb at Home Depot here for $6.26 (+0.6% sales tax)

Philips 15 Watt Cool White Plus

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
dubdubdub said:
Philips 15 Watt Cool White Plus

Yeah make sure to get the cool white, the uber bright one looks like butt.

Anyone know where to get the starters? they're not teh chrome cylendar ones that you normally see... they look like mini calendar light bulbs with a screw thread. My home depot didn't' have em..

-B

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Ace or True-Value Hardware... Lowes... any hardware store should have 'em.

They are back in the lighting aisle area.

RJ