Project bring games back to life

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Ok so I got a eraser and a burner and I got them all working.

I bought about 75 boards and roughly half of them didnt work.

I have two copies of Final FInal Fight B board one works fine the other is missing toms of emproms, I went and found the mame sets for them and used the American set for as much as I could then used world for the rest. Nothing same thing as before.

This game uses the c010 chip how come they have different sized windows?

How do you normally tell where each roms goes alot of times the mame sets dont use any numbers from the boards...the mask/eprom numbers, the ic numbers or the slot #.

Guess thats all for now

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Different brands or even batches of the same brand of eprom may use different looking windows, thats not unusual

If you check out the mame source may find some usefull info on rom/ic locations ;)

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Ok I downloaded the mame source and had a quick look in

ok in the drivers file I found a file for dessert assualt or other games how does it show wehre the eprom go on the board?

Last edited:

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
My thread about trying to fix a Final Fight board may be helpful.

I got a lot of help on the mame.net forums (in the General / Serious section) trying to do the same thing you're doing. Try posting over there and be sure to tell them you're trying to repair boards using MAME source and rom sets.

One specific thing I learned about the Final Fight roms is that the 010 roms are numbered according to their locations on the Japanese board and won't necessarily match the socket numbers on the US / world ones. I expect that most of the rom naming is pretty strange and the loading order in the source isn't always much help. This is going to take significant trial and error on your part.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
The MAME driver for CPS1 games is a mess when it comes to ROM naming. Its not all MAMEs fault though because of the different CPS1 board sets meaning there could be 2 or 3 different ROM layouts for the same game. Back in the day the devers did not want games added in the source more than once if the data on the ROMs was identical but just spread over different sized ROMs. When it comes to board repair though (esp CPS1) its not very helpfull.

The problem then happened that when games started having parent and clone relationships the ROM layouts for many games were lost, they just used the parents layout even if the clone set never had physical ROMs on the PCB in the same layout as the parent.

The same situation is true for many NeoGeo games, for example some carts could have 4 C ROMs while other carts of the same game could have 2 only.

Looking back it could have been better if MAME always added sets as clones even if the data is identical to the parent but spread over different ammount of ROMs. This way it would be alot easier for people using the MAME archive to know the ROM images they need.

Raz

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Actually so far the cps-1 games make the most sense to me so im gonna start out there:
30-19 means socket 30 rom 19.

I tried to fix a magic sword I get no self test no title screen and then the characters show up the music plays and the enemies come after you but I dont see a background.

I replaced 6 roms on it 19,18,30,31,35,36

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Ok I got magic sword #3 to work controlls /music /background....except when you walk around the guys head wont go through a background like a door.. bushes

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
My first 100% success:

Carrier Air Wing
It needed roms 18,19,31,32,35,36

1 down 35 to go :)
Maybe if I can fix a few more games I can justify getting a better programmer.

Im still having problems locating rom location for the follwing:
Dessert Assualt
New Zealand Adventure

Sega games
I saw the 6800 solutions on Dead battery society and Leopardcats page but none of those fit boards and there seems to be 4 combos of every board.
Sega Games
Moonwalker
Golden Axe
Eswat
Shinobi

One last question how can you tell what kind of eprom you can use..for example say you need to replace a bad mask rom. Some boards are friendly like data easrt and say stuff like 512 or 256 under the chip but most dont.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Check the size of the ROMs on MAME and you'll get close... Sometimes they have slightly different pinouts on some of the 1/2/4mb EPROMs but for the 32k on up to 512mb sizes you should be fine.

Sometimes you'll find info on that in the MAME source.

RJ

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Success#2 Final Fight is now working 100%

Same thing as magic swrod reburned eproms 18,19,31,32,35,36

Success #3 another Carrier Air Wing Same thing as the first

Success #4 Black Dragon Was missing rom #1/ #2 and 3 were bad and needed to be reburned

Partial success #5 golden axe no sound that makes two gmaes with no sound maybe my adapter is bad.

Success #6 Reveng of Doh/ Arkanoid 2 Dont know what happend it just started working wanted to turn it into a new zealand adventure but it needs 128k 28 leg chips? dont have any. Guess it got scared and started doing its job.

Success #7 Ninja Gaiden missing roms #1 and 2.

Ok so I see some hacks that instead of 2 128k chips you have you use one 256k chip how do you do that?

I have a ton of c040 chips

Also say that your replacing a 20 pin maskedprom with a 16 leg one you just put it down at the bottom and itll work?

Last edited:

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Yo id like to give a shout out to the maker of romident ive confirmed about 8 boards usuing this program. One of which was black tiger which is now running.

Anyways read my previous posts I still have questions.

I posted on the mame message board.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
correct me if I'm wrong, but...

using a single 256 instead of 2 128s involves (after making sure that the two 128s do, in fact, represent 2 adjacent locations in a single memory bank) soldering the 256 in a socket in place of the first 128 (making sure the pinout translates, and using the socket so you get an overhang on the extra pins), then wiring the chip enable from the second 128 to the most significant address line on the 256, so that when the game accesses what it thinks is the second 128 it actually is accessing just the upper half of the 256 (which you burned with the second 128). oh, and make sure that both of the chip enable lines (from the first AND second 128s) go to the 256's chip enable, so that when the first is selected it goes to the 256, and when the second is selected it also goes to the 256, but the chip enable also enables the 8th address bit and makes it read the second 128k form the 256 chip.

whoa, that was long-winded and only partly legible. I'm going to bed.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Are you selling any of the games you're repairing?

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Maybe some of them one day.
Especially the ones I have duplicates of.
Are you interested in a Carrier Air Wing?

I have 2 boards I cant identify and niether can romident.

One is a cps-1 game marked ste on the eproms
the other is a snk board with the mark bf on the eproms

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Xavier said:
Are you interested in a Carrier Air Wing?
The Carrier Airwing you sold me is great. It's like new. Since you reused the original rom chips, you'd never know it had been repaired. Nice work. Thanks a lot.