Strange Wires On Rad Action PCB?

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
I've got this PCB, Rad Action by UPL, 1987. It's JAMMA but there are some wires soldered to various parts of the board. I didn't want to test it as is without asking here first what the deal with it was.

RadAction.jpg

Looking forward to hearing from someone who knows more about this stuff than me:)

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
A secondary connection for the 5 volts and GND, it will work without those connected (can not think why they are there) sometimes see it on some board sets like the MVS MVH6, lowers resistance from the mother boards supply.

edit-it may have been a take off for 5 volts to supply something elso also. That could have been taken from the psu ? It appears to be after market

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Those are extra ground wires, not power and ground. They connect to the ground bus that is circling the board. Just connect them to a good power supply ground and you should be good to go.

RJ

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Good advice, not knowing the boardset Im not sure, have seen boards with a ground and 5 volts bus on one side. But I think you are quite correct, I wonder why it was done in the first place, looks like a retro fit ?

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Hmmmm, well so can I play it without hooking up any special power wires? I would like to test it on my supergun but not if I stand a chance of messing something up.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
The Chief said:
Hmmmm, well so can I play it without hooking up any special power wires? I would like to test it on my supergun but not if I stand a chance of messing something up.

yes, you may hook up with no risk