New York / Tokyo - September 30th in Central Park (w/ KOF 2006)

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
Just got the latest e-mail from my friends at New York Tokyo...
They're doing a big Central Park event on September 30th staring at 2pm. Here's the message:

New York - Tokyo (NYT), Fujisankei Communications International (FCI) and Sharp Electronics Corporation team up to bring you the New York–Tokyo Music Festival 2006 on Saturday, September 30, 2006 at Rumsey Playfield in Central Park – a free, all-day, open-air music festival that will showcase the most inspired artistic talent from the East and the West.

This year’s festival focuses on artists that are currently breaking new ground in emerging musical subgenres, ranging from Turntablism to Dancehall, Hip-hop to Progressive Jazz. It will establish a cultural and creative bridge between the U.S. and Japan, centered around the universal language of music provided by HIFANA (Break Beats – 21st century Japan’s most anticipated artist), PE’Z (Samurai Jazz – Japan’s No. 1 Instrumentalists), and MIGHTY CROWN (Dancehall Reggae – 4-time world champion) from Japan, as well as DJ A-TRAK (Turntablism – Kanye West’s live DJ) and TALIB KWELI (Hip-hop – Brooklyn-bred prodigy) from the United States.

Prior to an exciting evening of music, the afternoon will feature high-energy performances by worldly B-boy groups and traditional New Age Japanese instrumentalists.

In addition, The New York–Tokyo Music Festival will concurrently be showcasing the 2006 collection of the year’s best MUSIC, GAME, and ANIME. MUSIC – we will be introducing the top music videos from Japan, showing the uniqueness of the current scene in Japan. GAME – we will be presenting our own event of EA’s “Def Jam: Fight for NY,” featuring Def Jam artists in furious battle. ANIME – we will be holding a preview of Gonzo-produced “Afro Samurai,” an animation series aired on Spike TV, starring Samuel L. Jackson and the music of RZA.

Lastly, the Festival welcomes all attendees with our one-of-a-kind exhibition. Uniqlo will be showcasing its “from Tokyo to NY” fashion in a real-size container. And of course, we won’t forget to have our Game Pavilion, featuring the pre-releases and recently released titles from each publisher, as New York – Tokyo’s monthly game event GNG celebrates its 3rd year anniversary.

By combining two varying cultures in the greatest outdoor venue in New York City, the Festival aims to highlight the influences, fascination and respect both nations have and share with each other. Festival-goers of all ages will experience first hand, a deeper appreciation of the music, dance, fine art, animation, fashion, and food of Japan and the Far East.

KOF 2006 will be one of the featured titles in the gaming lounge as well as Naruto 2. Sounds like a blast to me! Anyone going to attend?

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
That sounds hella interesting. I think I might go. I can just park my car at Mitsuwa and then take the shuttle over to the Transit Authority bus terminal. Which street is Central Park located at?

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
wasabi said:
excellent

Oh yeah, I forgot you're back from D.C. Good times, let's hang.

Refer to Geese Howard as Shawn to identify yourself to others who may not recognize you at Central Park.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The music offerings sound incredibly lame this year. PE’Z is the only thing that's remotely a household name outside of the music video showcase mentioned.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Neo Alec said:
The music offerings sound incredibly lame this year. PE’Z is the only thing that's remotely a household name outside of the music video showcase mentioned.

Whhaaattt Talib Kweli is dope man! Especially in concert. Forget everything else at that show, I might just go to peep Talib again.

-B

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
billd420 said:
Whhaaattt Talib Kweli is dope man! Especially in concert. Forget everything else at that show, I might just go to peep Talib again.

-B
From what I understand, the original point of the festival was to bring Japanese acts to the US, so I fail to see the point there, great artist or not.

The first year they got BoA and Koda Kumi. Kumi wasn't as well-known then, but the relevance is undeniable. I almost made the trip to represent J-Fan for that one, but I heard besides the one show, the whole thing was pretty dead.

In the midst of the show's lack of success they seem to have more or less created a glorified anime convention now. It might be worth going just as a live DJ show.

If you want to play "KOF 2006" you just as soon should have imported it long ago than go to a convention to see it.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
bokmeow said:
Oh yeah, I forgot you're back from D.C. Good times, let's hang.

Refer to Geese Howard as Shawn to identify yourself to others who may not recognize you at Central Park.

maybe I'll wear my daisuke jigen shirt again for recognizability. ha

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
Here's a link to the flyer which shows all of the performing music acts:
http://music.newyork-tokyo.com/images/NYT_Music2006poster.jpg

A full press release can be found here:
http://music.newyork-tokyo.com/

Here's more of the games/anime that should be there during this event:
*PRE-RELEASE TITLES
Hot PXL (ATARI)
Dragonball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 (ATARI)
More to be announced later...

* EXHIBIT
NAMCO BANDAI
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, Eureka Seven (Pre-Release!), Tales of Abyss (Pre- Release!), IGPX, One Piece Grand Adventure, One Piece Pirates Carnival, , Zatcha Bell Mamodo Fury , Zenosaga III

D3P
Naruto: Clash of Ninja 2.

*LOUNGE
King of Fighters 2006 (SNK),Cooking Mama (MAJESCO), Rule of Rose (ATLUS),
Enchanted Arms (UBISOFT), 50 Cent: Bulletproof The G-Unit Edition :rolleyes: (VIVENDI UNIVERSAL) ,and more. & other playable titles will be there.

Anime Showing - “Afro Samurai”, a true “East meets West”production
*Produced by Gonzo
*Based on original manga and toy by newcomer Takashi Okazaki
*Features Samuel L. Jackson
*Music by RZA
*Airing on Spike TV this fall

if you want to play "KOF 2006" you just as soon should have imported it long ago than go to a convention to see it.

Some people are not just content with just buying an import and playing it by themselves or with a few of their closest friends. After a while, one craves the excitement of playing against total strangers, finding new competition and maybe making a few new friends in the process. For many, this will be the first time anyone has seen KOF 2006 beyond web page photos.

I guess NY-T could keep all of their events strictly about Japanese names and exposing them to US audiences. But it's hard to get anyone to go check out something if they don't see at least a few things they are already familiar with, even if the event was free of charge. And besides, Talib Kweli is currently one of the only last remaining people in hip-hop that actually deserves respect and people all over the world like his style. There's something for everyone at this event, and the fact it's free makes it even more appealing.

Despite all of the goodness, the party had to have at least one flaw. They DID put a 50 Cent game in the lineup. LOL!!

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
People are already familiar with the big Japanese names. That's what the show was supposed to be for.

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
This is being hyped a lot. I wasn't sure I was going to attend, but I think I might check it out. I like PE'Z and I like Talib, so it should be a fun day.

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
Originally Posted by wasabi
maybe I'll wear my daisuke jigen shirt again for recognizability

:lol: yea you'll be so cool doing so or a shirt with the hungarian flag on it.